Vegeta The Great

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SpiritBomb
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Vegeta The Great

Post by SpiritBomb » Mon May 31, 2004 9:42 pm

I've realized that Vegeta has most of the fans around town. Is it the big forhead,you ask? No my friends, it is the anti-hero crazy,thank you. Girls at my school have crushes on him even! I just think he's good for a laugh. Once, Brian Drummond was asked what he thought of Vegeta being more popular than Goku. Surprisingly, he never knew that Vegeta had more fans. Oh, Vegeta, if your reading..the moustache..BAD idea..

Any comments?
Some day, you'll be wishing for today.

http://gogocookiedough.blogspot.com/

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 31, 2004 10:07 pm

He's more popular? I just figured he was up in the top 5. My thoughts are because he's the last real nemesis of Goku in terms of strength, and their power ups end up being the same as well since they're both Saiyans. Now make him a killer (ie: anti-hero like you said). Piccolo only wanted to kill people for fun after he defeated Goku which he never does. Vegeta was killing for sport from when he was born since it went hand in hand with fighting for him.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon May 31, 2004 11:07 pm

Girls like him because they have that stupid attraction to the "bad boy" problem! And it's amazing how each and every one of them all think that they'll be the one to take care of him and change him! It's practically become a cliche!
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:36 am

Jerseymilk wrote:Girls like him because they have that stupid attraction to the "bad boy" problem! And it's amazing how each and every one of them all think that they'll be the one to take care of him and change him! It's practically become a cliche!
Are you saying you never felt the same in your early fan-girl years? :wink:

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:48 am

I remember he was voted most popular in the Shonen Jump contest.

I think his popularity just, in general, in the States at least, comes from the fact that he's "Badass", and not "wussy" like Goku.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:04 am

Vegeta's not an anti-hero. An anti-hero is someone whose core is good but has rough external qualities. The sort of person that shows up to help but isn't outwardly kind. Vegeta was always either evil, evil but too obsessed with Goku to do much else, psychotically obsessed about Goku, or good. He may have been fighting on the side of good, but his goals were not the same as his allies.

I think 99% of people like him because either: 1. "He's such a badass!" or 2. "He's got such a cute ass!" I think I'm one of ten people total who like him because of his depth and personality. :(

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:10 am

I love how being cocky and arrogant makes Vegeta so popular, compared to someone who's actually good like Goku. It's like everyone mentally snips out the fact that from the age he was able to walk he was committing genocide, and never once regretted it. (Infact he's shown being proud of it often)

I've never seen Hitler or Saddam idolized as a bad boy.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:36 am

Er... Vegeta DID regret his evil deeds. After the Cell saga, he never once showed any pride towards those things and kept his past hidden from Trunks, who didn't even know his father was a Prince until he was told so by Bulma. When they were wishing back the people of Earth, Goku asked Vegeta why they didn't just wish back everyone killed by Buu. Vegeta said softly, looking away from Goku, that it wouldn't bring back the people he killed at the Budoukai. By the end of the Buu saga, Vegeta had clearly made a complete transformation in morals from his old self. Part of the beauty of his character is how much he changes.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:50 am

Yeah yeah...I was actually more reffering to the Cell era Vegeta, once he's really coming into the fold as a "good-guy", despite not being good at all. Besides, why does just being sorry automatically make everything alright? He wasn't much different than Freeza.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:16 am

It doesn't automatically make things right. However, Vegeta had reason (though not excuse) to be the way he was. He was hand-raised by Freeza, of whom was clearly a major influence on his personality (much of what Vegeta says mirrors Freeza's words and ideals). He grew up in a cut-throat military full of people who wanted him dead. He was immersed in the bloodthirsty Saiya-jin culture from birth. Etc...

He did attempt to rectify somewhat. He gave his life fighting Buu, knowing what awaited him in the afterlife. Later, he was willing to risk his very existance, fighting Buu while he was still dead. When he was in the way of Goku's Genki Dama, he pleaded with Goku to just throw it and not worry about him. He gave everything he could in the Buu saga. While that doesn't change the things he did, it does count for something.

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:25 am

Speaking as a Vegeta fan I like him because of his whole attitude towards things and his combat expertise. He is more combat ready than Goku and able to hold his own quite well. And the whole Saiya-jin blood thing just gets me, too. He constantly punishes himself knowing he'll become stronger even if it means bringing himself to the very brink of death like in the Namek Saga when he provoked Krillin to attack him so Dende would heal him as a way of becoming stronger to fight off Frieza. Plus, I just don't like Goku's whole "naive goody-goody" act. At least Goten grew out of it.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:18 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:Girls like him because they have that stupid attraction to the "bad boy" problem! And it's amazing how each and every one of them all think that they'll be the one to take care of him and change him! It's practically become a cliche!
No I've never been a fangirl and I've never been attracted to those "bad boy" types. And I think females that are, are naive and silly. Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's how I feel. And I'm not taking about liking Vegita in the way Alias does. I'm talking about for the shallow reasons she mentioned, like "He's got such a cute butt!". The same way girls, who would never seriously be into the original comics, watch the X-men movies and then giggle and say about Wolverine, "He's soooo cute!". Plus I'm sick of people referring to Goku as a wuss and a goody-goody. Right away I know that those people have only ever watched the dub. In the Japanese, it's not the same. If someone still says it after seeing him in Japanese then I know that they're just in denial and don't want to admit they judged Goku wrongly. There, that's my rant for the day I guess.

These letters from girls stating why they like Vegita posted at a Vegita site show exactly what Alias and I are talking about. You really have to wonder about these females when you read their reasons. :?

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/bulmagirl/why.html

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:38 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:
Deus ex Machina wrote:
No I've never been a fangirl and I've never been attracted to those "bad boy" types. And I think females that are, are naive and silly. Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's how I feel. And I'm not taking about liking Vegita in the way Alias does. I'm talking about for the shallow reasons she mentioned, like "He's got such a cute butt!". The same way girls, who would never seriously be into the original comics, watch the X-men movies and then giggle and say about Wolverine, "He's soooo cute!". Plus I'm sick of people referring to Goku as a wuss and a goody-goody. Right away I know that those people have only ever watched the dub. In the Japanese, it's not the same. If someone still says it after seeing him in Japanese then I know that they're just in denial and don't want to admit they judged Goku wrongly. There, that's my rant for the day I guess.

These letters from girls stating why they like Vegita posted at a Vegita site show exactly what Alias and I are talking about. You really have to wonder about these females when you read their reasons. :?

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/bulmagirl/why.html
*claps* Very nice rant, Jersey. I really don't get those kinds of shallow girls either. :? They're so... Shallow. And yeah, I used to think Goku was a wuss, but then I got the some of the movies and such in Japanese, and my opinion almost immediately changed.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:43 pm

Thanks B-kun. I don't mean to imply that a person can't watch the dub or shouldn't. It's just that the Funi dub messed around a lot with the characters original personalities, toning down the good traits and exagerrating the faults it seems. I just don't like it when people base a conclusion solely on the dub version because to me that's basically a one-sided judgement

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:18 pm

I've seen some of the original and I'm not saying that he's total goody-goody. He's more naive and pure since he lived out in the middle of nowhere with an old man so he didn't get to really experience life as we get to.

What is up with these fangirls and their love for anime characters' butts? It's not real. It's like when my friend said he'd do Tifa from FF7. :shock:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:29 pm

She did have very, very, very big boobs though...
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:39 pm

I've seen that before, that Goku was different in the original than the dub. I know the Fan subs added a lot of swearing, but I thought that was the bulk of why people thought that. So, what exactly is different?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:41 pm

I think Tifa's one of the most exagerrated I've ever seen, along with Mai Shuranai from Fatal Fury and Meifong from Angel Links.

As for your question Xyex, yes Goku's personality is different in the original Japanese. He does swear yes, not to the exagerrated extent that a lot of the fansubs would have you believe, but it's more just that he talks in more of a "rough" country fashion. He doesn't use perfect grammar like in the dub. Plus you don't get those ridiculous corny speeches like in the dub.

It's hard to explain, but Goku is still naive, but not goody-goody and cheesy all-American superhero in the original Japanese. One of the biggest differences that shows this is the famous scene of Goku's transformation into a SSJ the first time. In the dub, he is angry but still not to the extent that he should be. He semi-yells at Gohan that it's the last time he's going to tell him to leave. In the Japanese, he tells Gohan to leave as soon as possible because he doesn't know how much longer he can stay rational and in control of his rage.

Another one of my favourite examples that also shows he's not some cheesy goody-two-shoes is his answer to Kaioshin when he informs Goku of the only way to turn Piccolo and Kuririn back from becoming stone. In the dub, Kaioshin says they have to defeat Darbura and Goku then says that's no problem and they'll have them back in no time. However, in the original Japanese, Kaioshin actually states that the only way to break the spell is for Dabura to die. When he tells Goku this, Goku says, "What now, that's a simple enough way ain't it?". I rest my case.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:04 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:I think Tifa's one of the most exagerrated I've ever seen, along with Mai Shuranai from Fatal Fury and Meifong from Angel Links.
You forgot... uh... Wolfininininina. Or whatever. Zombie Powder.. Do they get any bigger?!

koden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by koden » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:10 am

=word limit=
Last edited by koden on Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.