A common question but...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nwoo_2002
Beyond Newbie

A common question but...

Post by nwoo_2002 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:11 am

What exactly is the license situation in the UK? Why is it that over the course of eight years, there is not one set provider of Dragon Ball here. We've had Funimation-Ocean production, Funimation, Ocean, Blue Water and some other dub that to be fair sounds like they were on crack. Now it's not like Funimation isn't present here, FMA and Yu Yu hakashou (sorry about spelling there) can be bought fairly easily, so why not Dragon Ball?

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:17 am

Because the licence is often overlooked for the UK and included bulk into the other licences across Europe. I believe the UK DB licence was bought up as part of the movie licence ( though I could be wrong) hence the hasty released Big Green DVDs. That said we do get the games here which I would have thought would have been part of the licence so who knows.

Frankly most of the UK branches of anime companies are too small to risk releasing big series. Yu Yu Hakusho has only made it to about 5 DVDs, and now the FUNimation licence has changed hands who knows. Heck even Bleach is technically licensed here!
If you can play R1 and NTSC I suggest you import the FUNi DVDs. If not your best chance is to import the Madman Australian versions or purchase the manga which is readily available at most major book shops.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

PrincessVegeta
Banned

Re: A common question but...

Post by PrincessVegeta » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:43 pm

nwoo_2002 wrote:What exactly is the license situation in the UK? Why is it that over the course of eight years, there is not one set provider of Dragon Ball here. We've had Funimation-Ocean production, Funimation, Ocean, Blue Water and some other dub that to be fair sounds like they were on crack. Now it's not like Funimation isn't present here, FMA and Yu Yu hakashou (sorry about spelling there) can be bought fairly easily, so why not Dragon Ball?
^ Which makes me wonder, did the U.K get their DBZ games dubbed by the Ocean cast or were they only allowed to have the Japanese voice overs only?
The Ultimate Funimation Fangirl.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Re: A common question but...

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:26 pm

PrincessVegeta wrote:^ Which makes me wonder, did the U.K get their DBZ games dubbed by the Ocean cast or were they only allowed to have the Japanese voice overs only?
Their Budokai 1 had the Japanese VAs only (as did every other international release outside North America), their Budokai 2 had the dub VAs only (this being the Ps2 version, their GameCube release actually had the Japanese VAs only), their Budokai 3 faired the same as their Ps2 Budokai 2 release did - dub VAs only, they didn't get Sagas (nor did any other country outside America and Canada), and their Sparking!/Budokai Tenkaichi games presumably ended up the exact same as North America's did. I believe Super DBZ maintained only the Japanese VAs, just as the Budokai 1 and GC Budokai 2 releases had. One more thing to note; they did get the upgraded version of Budokai 3 in form of the Collectors' and Platinum Edition, where like the Sparking! games, you have the option between dub and Japanese VAs with all the other fantastic additions/tweaks/alterations.
14 years later