Episode #0080 (03 June 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0080 (03 June 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:45 pm

Episode #0080 (download MP3)
50:20; 64 kbps, mono; 23.0 MB

Episode #0080! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss the various items of news from the previous week, ranging from the death of ZARD, to the fusion dance featured in the new Zune commercial, to video game news, and more. We also discussed the use of the word "ZENKAI" and fandom's "invented meaning" for the word, which we've seen used incorrectly for years. June's releases and your e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the splendid *eighty* episodes, now.

Yep, we had to delay the so-called "Manga Review of Awesomeness (Vol. 5)" episode for a week. Listen in for details why... not that it's all that exciting... or something to be proud of... :P Regardless, this was definitely something I've been wanting to bring up as a podcast topic for quite some time, so it was very convenient that someone happened to (somewhat) e-mail in about it!

ZENKAI~!

全開する (zenkai suru) is the verb we mentioned.

As the song title, it's written out simply as: でてこいとびきりZENKAIパワー! (Detekoi Tobikiri ZENKAI Pawâ!)

As for Julian's sound quality, well... we definitely didn't have the crazy BZZZZZZZZZ you heard at the end of last week's episode. It was there for a bit, but it magically stopped once we officially started recording. Upgrading our Skype clients also killed off those little pops that you hear every so often from Julian (the ones I try to edit out), so that's at least ONE good thing. Now we just need to get his DSL with a better upstream :P.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:39 pm

Well, the first (and only with exception to this podcast episode) time I've heard the term "zenkai" as a noun was in a post on these here forums. It just doesn't make sense to me, for all the reasons you guys pointed out. I mean, at least for stuff like "Majin Vegeta," it's been used in stuff like action figure names. I've always just found the term "zenkai" to be like "ippai oppai" in "We Gotta Power."

Interesting episode, if only for the fact that I've almost never heard that term used before and because if you guys weren't dishing out these episodes, I'd be stuf re-watching Angry Video Game Nerd videos on the YouTube :?. Also, good look on that super-secret HQ of yours, Mike. The way you were talking about it reminded me of how L used his money to construct a humongous building even though he was only going to have the Task Force meet in one of the rooms.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:54 pm

80 episodes! Nice work guys.

*listening*

I agree, the AF toys are fucking awesome. As for the season two stuff, yes, I noticed that shit while I was watching it for the first time. You guys should see some of the Ginyu Tokusentai poses. No Butta for you!

Dear Internet,

If you don't know what emo is, don't fucking use the word like you think you do! You DON'T! SHUT UP!

I lol'd. :lol:
Last edited by fps_anth on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:23 pm

NEVER heard about this misuse of the word Zenkai before...

The first time I heard it was simply in the TV show, and I still hadn't understood what it really meant outside of the explanations by Julian in the lyrics section.

The AF figures are pretty, indeed.

EDIT: Olive is "Olibu". Angel was the chippy that fell in love with Gohan in one of the High School filler episodes.

...and Mike, I love you for the emo comment near the end. A lot.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:08 am

I just wanted to throw two cents on an explanation for "Ippai Oppai." Julian, Steve, or someone else may already know more on this, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

This thread on Oshiete! Goo provided a nice explanation. (http://oshiete1.goo.ne.jp/qa3046995.html.) It apparently would derive from "Oppai ga Ippai" which technically means (stealing from the user hakobulu's explaination) "The contents of [one's] breasts filled up." So, applying that to the romanized Japanese in We Gotta Power, and in its normal context, would be "full/huge breasts." That's usually what I hear it used as...and, given the random context of that romanized Japanese in the song itself...it wouldn't be that surprising.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:21 am

I must not know about or travel to a lot of other DragonBall sites as I've never heard of zenkai being used that way. ^_^;;

I am depressed by the new box sets, though not for the same reason as others on the board (I hate them redubbing only certain characters and having it present on both english tracks).

I haven't bought either one because of it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:27 am

Chuquita wrote:I must not know about or travel to a lot of other DragonBall sites as I've never heard of zenkai being used that way. ^_^;;

I've seen it used here in a thread or two (not too long ago actually). In fact, this is the only place I have ever seen it used. (Though I don't really frequent any other DB messageboards.)

Lobster_Rage155
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lobster_Rage155 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:31 am

Viacom doesn't own Cartoon Network, but oh well.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:17 am

I don't know what thread it was, but someone on this forum has used Zenkai Power to refer to the Saiya-jin recovery skill. That's the only time I've seen a meaning put to it.

I figured that, as it came from the DaizEX forums and nobody was going "ZOMG wrong!!!111one!!11" toward that meaning, it was actually the correct translation.

That's about it, though.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:44 am

I've never actually really come into contact with the word "Zenkai!" other than knowing it was associated with the show some how. I always thought it was something to do with "release!" like, say, powering up to full strength given that "kai" is release usually, and in Bleach, for example, the word "Bankai!" is used when they release the spirit of their sword.

Blah. Foolish Dub fans, their hypocracy is but laughable!!

As are my generalizations :(
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:50 am

For the record, I've definitely seen it used elsewhere on the internet, in places where my influence is totally devoid of existence :P. I'm glad to hear that most people (that have responded thus far, anyway) have *not* come across it! Maybe it's dying off...?
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:38 am

We've had discussions about characters' names and how they're spelled and such... but this is something completely different... a Japanese word being used incorrectly by its English fans...

The discussion about ZENKAI makes me wonder - are there any other so-called fan-coined terms that are being thrown around but were never ever used in any of the Dragonball universe/canon storyline? For example, I remember in the Daizenshuu books discussion several months back, you mentioned that fans coined the term "changeling" for Frieza's followers when that fan term doesn't appear anywhere in the Daizenshuu guides.

And on an inverted level, have any fan-coined terms (Japanese or English) eventually been picked up by the Dragonball universe as official canon? Has a fan ever coined a term that eventually was made an official term in the Dragon world?

OMG! Flashbacks to the Movies discussion from last year! Especially that Movie 9 sound (the WHOOOOOOOOOOO! sound). More flashbacks to previous episodes would be nice. :) And Dragonball Party! And Dragonball DDR! And Dragonball Ouendan! And Dragonball Elite Beat Agents! And... OK I'll stop now....

Yikes! Mike got a little emo at the end of the podcast ;-) And Julian actually cursed! (but it was bleeped out!) And a Muzak version of the Movie 5 ED pads out the episode. Nice. Can't wait to hear next week's Manga Review of Awesomeness to my wonderous ears (whispering) through your mi-cro-phone, uh-uh-uhhh, yeah!

(On a completely random tangent, you guys really need to see Avenue Q soon... Or at least get the original cast recording...)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Lukevader

Great Episode, As usual

Post by Lukevader » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:37 am

My E-mail was featured. Yay! I don't know why my E-mail had a ton of Capitals in it, i guess i just love the shift button.... probably. Anyway I totally agree on the AF Figures, my favourite being the Tullece sitting under a tree, which isn't actually an AF figure but what the heck.

I also haven't heard of the Term "ZENKAI" in anything other than the song.

Great episode as usual Mike, looking forward to Volume 5 of the Manga review of awesomeness!

Hawkuro

Post by Hawkuro » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:40 am

Here are some comments I wrote while listening:

Hehe, Ningen Suckers :P

Julian kinda sounds like the Microsoft Computer voice when reporting on ZARD, I think he needs a new mic...

OK, actually he sounds like the Microsoft voice throughout the whole episode...

Yes, the ZENKAI conversation is completely new to me...
Contest winner :)

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:20 pm

Oh, oh! I know Bleach and adding on to what Catterix2006 said, "shi-kai" means initial release and of course, "ban-kai" aka going SSj, is the final release.

I always saw "zankai" as some huge power-up especially because that word was tossed around among fans during the Freeza Saga. I also saw it as something relating to Gohan, obviously because the ending song. Oh well, you learn something new all the time. Thank ya podcasters.
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:57 pm

Brakus wrote:The discussion about ZENKAI makes me wonder - are there any other so-called fan-coined terms that are being thrown around but were never ever used in any of the Dragonball universe/canon storyline? For example, I remember in the Daizenshuu books discussion several months back, you mentioned that fans coined the term "changeling" for Frieza's followers when that fan term doesn't appear anywhere in the Daizenshuu guides.

And on an inverted level, have any fan-coined terms (Japanese or English) eventually been picked up by the Dragonball universe as official canon? Has a fan ever coined a term that eventually was made an official term in the Dragon world?
Well, here was an old thread about fan-terms versus canon terms.
Brakus wrote:(whispering) through your mi-cro-phone, uh-uh-uhhh, yeah!
I always remember Meri mocking the old Z-Store commercial after Mike said that way back in one of the older podcast episodes :lol:.

EDIT: Has anyone else noticed some of the users here who begin to post because they won a contest or their e-mail was answered on the podcast (not that I'm against them posting; it's just something I noticed)?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

ManOfHokuto

Post by ManOfHokuto » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:07 pm

I've never heard Zenkai used as a noun before, but then again I don't frequent DBZ boards too often.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:41 pm

To be quite honest the whole Idea of "zenkai' meaning the saiyajin regeneration capability is strange. I have probably not spent enough time amoung the right people to know it. By right people I mean the right demographic of fan. All I know is the Mexican dub and some (which is very little of) the Japanese version. I might watch it again to try to understand this phenomenon. I will listen to the Podcast ASAP. I'll have some buddies of mine also here to see how crazy you guys are.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:For the record, I've definitely seen it used elsewhere on the internet, in places where my influence is totally devoid of existence :P. I'm glad to hear that most people (that have responded thus far, anyway) have *not* come across it! Maybe it's dying off...?
For what it's worth, I've been using "zenkai" as that term since Planet Namek added its PL guide. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:24 pm

Dayspring wrote:For what it's worth, I've been using "zenkai" as that term since Planet Namek added its PL guide. :P
Really...? Wow, I'm shocked. Definitely not something I ever saw in use back then.