Episode #0085 (08 July 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0085 (08 July 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:14 pm

Episode #0085 (download MP3)
43:21; 64 kbps, mono; 19.8 MB

Episode #0085! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian record live at AnimeNEXT 2007! The DBZ Variety Hour was an hour-long panel filled with gameshow goodness, questions, prizes galore, and lots of fun fandom reminiscing from the participants. Special thanks to everyone for coming out, and we look forward to seeing you again next year, and hearing back from you as our new and returning listeners! Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the splendid *eighty-five* episodes, now.

I know there were a lot of you that came to the panel that I only briefly spoke with or saw, and I'm sorry that there wasn't a further opportunity to get together with all of you! Many thanks go out to you, and I hope you at least somewhat enjoyed yourself, even if you didn't win anything ^_~.

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:43 pm

Awesome. I wish I was there!

*listens*

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:45 pm

O_<

Sorry to be harsh, but... geez Mike, who are these goofballs you guys picked out as contestants? These guys suck. Some of the questions were kinda hard, I'll admit, but I still answered 90% of them within a second or two.

Are you gonna do anything like this at Otakon? You really should; I want to play.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:21 pm

Sorry to be harsh, but... geez Mike, who are these goofballs you guys picked out as contestants?
I think a lot of people here will agree with you and say these people were "goofballs" but, I think its because there was such a wide variety of DBZ fans. I mean, anyone who was at the convention who wanted to come by could. Iam sure if it was just forum members the questions would have been answered a lot faster... and correct. But, It was such a wide variety of people.

It was fun. :D

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:27 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Sorry to be harsh, but... geez Mike, who are these goofballs you guys picked out as contestants?
I think a lot of people here will agree with you and say these people were "goofballs" but, I think its because there was such a wide variety of DBZ fans. I mean, anyone who was at the convention who wanted to come by could. Iam sure if it was just forum members the questions would have been answered a lot faster... and correct. But, It was such a wide variety of people.

It was fun. :D
Okay, I'll admit, I was being harsh. I forget sometimes that I'm not such a "noob" to the series anymore, trivia-wise. Still fun to listen to, either way.

Still, I wonder if/hope Mike has something like this planned for Otakon.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:38 pm

At Otakon, we'll be doing "The DBZ You've Never Seen" (Part 2), with myself, Meri, and Corey. Depending on what amount of time we have left during that panel, I may do some more Q&A with prizes, but we're not doing a gameshow at that convention. Maybe next year! :D

Like Tanooki Kuribo said, the convention gives you a really nice overview of the types of fans that are out there. Sure, it would be pretty easy for the typical Daizenshuu EX reader/listener to answer a lot of those questions (especially since I pulled a bunch from the old IRC trivia bot files :P), but it's pretty neat to see what the "other side" of fandom is like. Not *everyone* been into the series for 10+ years ^_~.

Basically, blame Jeff for everything you need a scapegoat for. It's the easiest thing to do!

*ducks & covers*
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:41 pm

Is it sad how many of these I'm able to answer...and how many I've forgotten.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:42 pm

That airport question was really harsh. Who actually knew it without having to look it up?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:At Otakon, we'll be doing "The DBZ You've Never Seen" (Part 2), with myself, Meri, and Corey. Depending on what amount of time we have left during that panel, I may do some more Q&A with prizes, but we're not doing a gameshow at that convention. Maybe next year! :D
Sweet. I'll be there either way. What day/time is that happening?

P.S. - You should start an "Otakon 2007 Plans" thread, since it's, like, 2 weeks away.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:51 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:That airport question was really harsh. Who actually knew it without having to look it up?
It was in the "Hard" category. 'Nuff said :P.
SSj Kaboom wrote:< snip Otakon info >
I just got the final info this weekend while I was away, so I'll definitely start something up tonight on the forum.

Ozma15

Post by Ozma15 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:That airport question was really harsh. Who actually knew it without having to look it up?
It was in the "Hard" category. 'Nuff said :P.
That was hard like the Arctic is cold! It's true, but it's an understatement to the point of cruelty. :lol: I mean, at least you could count the wishes... Let's see, Oolong's underwear, Bora's revival, Piccolo D.'s youth, Kuririn/Chaozu/Kamesennin's revival, Goku's revival, Piccolo's revival, Piccolo to Namek, revival of anyone killed by Freeza and minions, everyone to Earth but...

God, I feel like a dork. ^^;; It's fun.

Great job, everyone, that was such fun to listen to/play along with. I'd've never gotten the 'killed the phoenix' question were it not for the Manga Review of Awesomeness, though.
[url=http://fanfiction.net/~kuwachan]FanFiction.Net Profile[/url] | [url=http://livejournal.com/~perpetual_poet]LiveJournal[/url]

"Persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot." --Mark Twain

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:22 pm

Hm. Well, it's good to know that I'm a bit higher up on the totem pole of dragon ball fans than I thought. I guess being on the forum pays off in that sense. DaizEX and kanzentai are the only dragon ball sites I go to, so I wouldn't really know how the outside fandom for the series is... though that Gohan cosplayer gave me a pretty vivid image of it. Regardless, I guess it's nice that there still is a fandom out there.

It must have been pretty painful for Mike to have to refer to the dub names so the rest of the audience would get what he was saying. And it's good to know that none of you guys were stumped by any of the audience questions. On the contrary, I think you answered them a little more efficiently than I think the audience members wanted.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:22 pm

The only question that I cared about for missing was the one about how many canon wishes were made. There might have been some others, but not all that many. And like SSj Kaboom said, I answered these within seconds of hearing them.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:30 pm

Heh, I knew the answers to all of them except the "hard" ones. Sounded like you had a lot of fun.

Mike, did you pick up any gems at the Dealer's Room this time around?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:23 pm

Tyro wrote:I just searched for how many dragonball wishes were made and I'm only getting 21. Four in Dragonball, seventeen in Dragonball Z. Which one am I missing? If you have a list of canon wishes made...that'd be great.
Holy crap, I think you're right... Looks like wish #21 was the one to restore Goku's power. That was the last one, ne?

9, 17, and 24 were the answers from the contestants, so at least that didn't fudge up any scores :D.

Like I said, I totally expect someone who visits this site, listens to this podcast, and hangs out on this forum to be able to answer almost *all* of the questions (Hell, we have entire sections and/or podcast episodes about some of that stuff). However, a mix of some of the really easy ones and some of the really hard ones is what you want to bring to a convention gameshow like this; that allows the newer fans to still feel like they have a chance against the old fogies like us, and still provides a challenge for said fogies! You simply never know who is going to show up. It's exactly like how we mix up the content of podcast episodes to do an episode here and there that can appeal to all generations of fans, subsets of subsets of further subsets of sub-fandoms, etc. It's a tough balancing act! But we certainly try.

Next week's episode is going to be a really short one with a recap of DBZ things at the convention, so you'll hear about purchases there. Long story short, Mike really only buys old Saturn games, at this point :P.

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:52 pm

Man that sounded like a fun time. I love how everyone simultaneously goes "ooooo" when someone picks a "hard" question, plus hearing the comical bickering in the background.
Here I was getting a butt load of questions right and it turns out the guy who gets the most right is named Joe, like myself. Total Twilight Zone moment.
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:16 pm

No, you're right. The dragonballs were used 22 times. I guess I left out a wish somewhere along the lines, but I just can't imagine where...because now I have it that the dragonballs were used 23 time counting the time Bulma told Goku that the guy who used them long ago became a king.

1. Bulma told Goku that the last guy who used the dragonballs became a king.
2. Oolong wished for panties.
3. Upa’s father Bora was revived.
4. Piccolo Daimao had his youth restored.
5. Bulma wished back everyone Piccolo and his demons/children killed.
6. Goku was brought back to life.
7. Piccolo is brought back to life.
8. Piccolo is transported to Namek.
9. Everyone Freeza and his men killed on Namek are brought back to life.
10. Everyone but Freeza and Goku are transported to Namek.
11. Kuririn’s soul is transported over to their heaven (or something like that).
12. Kuririn is brought back to life.
13. Yamcha is brought back to life.
14. Chaozu is brought back to life.
15. Tenshinhan is brought back to life.
16. Namekians take their dragonballs and leave for New Namek.
17. Everyone Cell killed/absorbed/whatever he did to #17 that counts as killing him were brought back to life.
18. The bombs were taken out of #17 and #18.
19. Everyone who died the day of the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai, except for the bad people, are brought back to life.
20. Earth is restored after it was blown up.
21. Everyone Boo killed is brought back to life.
22. Goku is given his ki back.
23. Everyone has their memories of Majin Boo erased.

But then again I guess that that's not really using the dragonballs, is it? :D

Edit: I thought of a question you might find as good enough to be used at the Otakon: How many times, canonically, was the Oozaru form taken during the series?
Last edited by Tyro on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:32 pm

I had a really good time but was sorry not to be able to spend more time with you Daizex people. (You looked kind of tired, Mike!)

....I liked those questions a lot, even if they did make me truly realize what a terrible fan I am! XD; Okay, I knew some of them; but only a pathetically small amount it seemed. -_-

Shout-out to QuantumDestiny and her sister (who's also on this forum?)~! ^^
The Resident Tenshinhan Fangirl.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:45 pm

This episode was pretty fun. It was good to hear the wide range of fans. Admittedly, I only got about close to a half of those questions right. It was kinda out of a blur. If I did more of my research, it probably would've been different. Sorry I couldn't be there, but I definitely planning for next year at Otakon.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:16 am

"Which system had two full-motion DBZ video games made for it in 1994?"
"GameCube?"

Uh... :shock:

Yeah, SSJ Kaboom said it best...