Is Cell a Super Saiyan?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Is Cell a Super Saiyan?

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:47 pm

I apologize if this has been covered, I browsed the forums, but lazily.

Is Cell considered a Super Saiyan?
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:50 pm

He's got Saiyan DNA, and the golden-y aura would not contest it.

Of course, he's not literally a Super Saiyan, but he's using Super Saiyan power.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:53 pm

The reason I asked the question was because I am having the same debate over at MFG. Just wanted to know what you guys thought.
~Sweeney Todd

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:54 pm

If not a trick question, definitely a tough one. Well, he does have cells from four different Saiyans (yes, Gohan is counted in the anime), has the SSJ aura, can bulk himself up like a USSJ in complete form if he wishes, and has the blue lightning present that a SSJ2 displays after surviving his self-explosion. Hard to say technically speaking. Since his form doesn't physically change when he displays the SSJ aura and he's technically a biological clone of certain members from 5 different species, I don't consider him one.
14 years later

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:55 pm

He's got Saiyan DNA. Golden aura = Super Saiyan power, but he's not technically a Super Saiyan. Since he's not completely Saiyan, just partially, amongst a mess of other things...

Bleh, I'm probably not helping much, am I?
deviantART
[thread]

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:37 pm

The various Aura's are a dead match in the Manga.

When he powers up against Piccolo and #17, he has the orignal Super Saiyan aura.

When Goku goes to Full Power at the Cell Game, he attains a slightly unique aura from the previous Super Saiyan states. Cell has a matching aura when he powers up, as does Gohan. They were all in the same realm of strength.

When Cell returns from near-death, he has a Super Saiyan level 2 aura and is as strong or stronger than Gohan.

I would say it was his own twist or variant of the Super Saiyan transformation, and he didn't show all of the traits simply because he doesn't have the same body composition as a Saiyan overall, but the aura manifested exactly the same.

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:44 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:He's got Saiyan DNA. Golden aura = Super Saiyan power, but he's not technically a Super Saiyan. Since he's not completely Saiyan, just partially, amongst a mess of other things...

Gohan, Goten, and Trunks aren't completely Saiyans either. :P

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:53 pm

Bomber Greek wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:He's got Saiyan DNA. Golden aura = Super Saiyan power, but he's not technically a Super Saiyan. Since he's not completely Saiyan, just partially, amongst a mess of other things...

My point was is that Cell is incapable of actually making any kind of "transformation," since he has completely different physiology altogether.
deviantART
[thread]

Drunken Master
Regular

Post by Drunken Master » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:06 pm

He's a super saiyamekian lizardman.
AKA [b]Pope Blitzkrieg XVI[/b], [b]Mr. Shades-Internet McCool[/b]

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:09 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Bomber Greek wrote:

My point was is that Cell is incapable of actually making any kind of "transformation," since he has completely different physiology altogether.
Yeah, I kinda knew what you meant. I'm just being a bitch. :P

I'd say he makes a slight transformation, like the aura, as a Super Saiyan 2 would have.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:07 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
He's got Saiyan DNA.

Ubba wha? D:

Conan the SSJ wrote:
he's technically a biological clone of certain members from 5 different species

I only count four: Human, Namek, Saiyan, wtv Freeza's species is.
Did I miss someone?
Last edited by DNA on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:08 pm

I pretty much consider him as being in Super Saiya-jin (and later, SSJ2) because of the aura. He's got the Saiya-jin DNA and he's got the aura. And in some of Toriyama's original concept sketches, he's got the spikey hair too!
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

LegendarySSJ7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LegendarySSJ7 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:41 am

I would say such, yes. He's 2/5ths Saiyan for a reason, and Dr. Gero created his structure as such - note how he displays the traits of a Super Saiyan aura and how when his body registers a new level of power that goes way beyond his original threshold or roof, that the aura (being of a Super Saiyan nature) reflects that level of power. His iris may not due to cluttered DNA, in my view.

Which means he was, in my view, a 'genuine' SSj2, SSj, and MSSj - but whether he was a SSj Type 3 or if it was just a unstable maximum body mass state (when he goes into a showdown of very morbid ire against SSj2 Gohan after regenerating after the full power 'beam struggle'.... if you could consider it that, given the results) or a Pseudo-SSj Type 3 state (considering the resulting disturbed reaction and its exploits) makes me wonder about all of the aforementioned. Nevertheless, I'd say he's a Super Saiyan, but that his DNA's mingling may change some things in terms of outward appearance.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:49 am

DNA wrote:I only count four: Human, Namek, Saiyan, wtv Freeza's species is.
Did I miss someone?
Possibly some demon dissention, like Piccolo.

suomipoika
Not-So-Newbie

Post by suomipoika » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:53 am

Drunken Master wrote:He's a super saiyamekian lizardman.
you are so fuckin right!
finland is best

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:00 am

I guess that with a certain powerlevel comes different auras?
When you reach the power of a regular SSJ, the aura is kind of wild, and when you reach the power of a FPSSJ it´s more controlled.
When you reach the power of a SSJ2 or higher you have sparks and a wild aura around you. That could explain why SSJ3 Goku and SSJ Vegetto had sparks around them, even though they weren´t SSJ2.
I guess that it´s not only the power of the Saiyan genes that play a role in Cell´s aura but also his strenght going by this theory.
If you think of it, the SSJ aura was not supposed to be yellow, just white. So going by the manga you can´t distinguish if Cell has SSJ aura or not, since it´s white, even in coloured form.

EDIT:
OT: suomipoika, you don´t need to swear to express how much you like his statement. You can just say "I agree a lot!" or something.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:40 pm

Godo wrote:I guess that with a certain powerlevel comes different auras?
When you reach the power of a regular SSJ, the aura is kind of wild, and when you reach the power of a FPSSJ it´s more controlled.
When you reach the power of a SSJ2 or higher you have sparks and a wild aura around you. That could explain why SSJ3 Goku and SSJ Vegetto had sparks around them, even though they weren´t SSJ2.
I guess that it´s not only the power of the Saiyan genes that play a role in Cell´s aura but also his strenght going by this theory.
If you think of it, the SSJ aura was not supposed to be yellow, just white. So going by the manga you can´t distinguish if Cell has SSJ aura or not, since it´s white, even in coloured form.
The transformation has something to do with it. Otherwise Ultimate Gohan would have an aura around himself like that of a SSj2/3. But he lacks one entirely.

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:19 pm

Tyro wrote:
DNA wrote:I only count four: Human, Namek, Saiyan, wtv Freeza's species is.
Did I miss someone?
Possibly some demon dissention, like Piccolo.
Biologically, Piccolo isn't a demon. The only reason why he was called a demon was because he was the evil portion of a god, who happened to be Namekian. By title, he is a demon, by heritage, he is not.

Unless you count "artificial being" as a species, then I only know of him being from four species.

The problem that I have is that (even though GT's "canon-ity" is debatable) both Goku jr and Vegeta Jr are Super Saiyans, but they have less heritage then Cell does.
Last edited by DemonKingPiccolo on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Sweeney Todd

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:27 pm

Depends on what you believe makes a demon a demon. If a demon kills someone, they don't die. Their souls just wander around forever in limbo. So if Piccolo killed someone, and everyone just called him a demon do to all the evil he's caused, those people would still die and go to judgment. Kami-sama and Mr. Popo were surprised Raditz' soul actually went to judgment, therefore he is part demon in some way.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:58 pm

Piccolo Daimao was made from pure evil from the soul of a namekian, Ma Jr., the Piccolo we know more, is more deluted in some way, he is less evil and less of a demon. The original Daimao would never cooperate with Goku.