Question concerning the After-life

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ran Fuan

Question concerning the After-life

Post by Ran Fuan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:08 pm

My question is when mostly everyone checks in with King Yemma, they tend to be bodyless spirits before they recieve judgement. What made me wonder is why evil characters remain in their pyshical bodies. Isn't keeping your body considered as a well earned privelage?

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:10 pm

You know, being a fan of the anime and not as familiar with the manga, I hate using this cliche to explain things but...

It's filler. There's really nothing to justify it.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:30 pm

I think evil beings keep their bodies because otherwise there'd be nothing to torture while they're in Hell. Would explain Freeza and Cell's whole "you can't kill us down here" thing in GT, as well.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:35 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I think evil beings keep their bodies because otherwise there'd be nothing to torture while they're in Hell. Would explain Freeza and Cell's whole "you can't kill us down here" thing in GT, as well.
Well, typically, rather than get tortured, they'd have their memories and evil wiped clean and go on to enjoy an afterlife in a not so bad Hell.

Though maybe they reserve punishment for the really bad ones, in the dark and spooky level of Hell we see in GT.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:49 pm

What makes me confused is that King Yemma says that "Yes, we had the Raditz guy down here and he caused a lot of trouble. Luckily I was able to make him calm down". How could he cause trouble (apparently with his powers, because Goku was surprised that King Yemma could take on someone that strong) if he didn't have a body? All the souls were body-less except for Goku's.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:51 pm

Godo wrote:What makes me confused is that King Yemma says that "Yes, we had the Raditz guy down here and he caused a lot of trouble. Luckily I was able to make him calm down". How could he cause trouble (apparently with his powers, because Goku was surprised that King Yemma could take on someone that strong) if he didn't have a body? All the souls were body-less except for Goku's.
That's probably where Toei got the "evil = have a body" idea.

Personally, I think Enma was enjoying a rare chance to brag.
Trunks & Goten forever

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:11 pm

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:I think evil beings keep their bodies because otherwise there'd be nothing to torture while they're in Hell. Would explain Freeza and Cell's whole "you can't kill us down here" thing in GT, as well.
Well, typically, rather than get tortured, they'd have their memories and evil wiped clean and go on to enjoy an afterlife in a not so bad Hell.
Oh, I know, but I'm talking in terms of the anime.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Ran Fuan

Post by Ran Fuan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:30 pm

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:It's filler. There's really nothing to justify it.
Okay... so the scene where Freeza and other residents of Hell are watching over the fight between Goku and Kid Buu, does that also count as filler? I haven't had the chance to read through the mangas yet.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:01 pm

Ran Fuan wrote:Okay... so the scene where Freeza and other residents of Hell are watching over the fight between Goku and Kid Buu, does that also count as filler? I haven't had the chance to read through the mangas yet.
That and the earlier filler episode where Goku and Paikuhan travel to Hell to stop a siege by Cell, Freeza, King Cold, and all Ginyu members not living on Earth as a frog. This filler establishes why Cell and Freeza are hanging around together in GT for anyone confused. I kinda have a theory that if you're powerful enough while evil in the anime, then you're still capable of keeping your body, although with limitations upon it. Such warriors as the Ginyu senshi could've been sent to Hell, but Kaio merely requested they be sent to his planet as a training course for Tien, Yamcha, and Chaozu. We also see in a flashback when Cell is under judgment from Enma, his body is fully intact, just with a halo (and even though he just screams, I find this flashback one of Dameon Clarke's best performances as Cell :P ), but Enma simply says "Off to Hell!" and he's sucked down.

I also find reincarnation to be a rare circumstance in the afterlife judgment in the anime. Just about all main villains go to Hell with spiritual-physical bodies intact, even Dabra whom goes upward to Heaven as "punishment". However, Majin Vegeta and Kid Buu are the only true beings considered to undergo the process. Vegeta doesn't because Enma thought it wise to preserve him in case Buu posed a threat to everything beyond Earth, and Buu was reincarnated because Goku requested it.
14 years later

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:11 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
Ran Fuan wrote:Okay... so the scene where Freeza and other residents of Hell are watching over the fight between Goku and Kid Buu, does that also count as filler? I haven't had the chance to read through the mangas yet.
That and the earlier filler episode where Goku and Paikuhan travel to Hell to stop a siege by Cell, Freeza, King Cold, and all Ginyu members not living on Earth as a frog. This filler establishes why Cell and Freeza are hanging around together in GT for anyone confused. I kinda have a theory that if you're powerful enough while evil in the anime, then you're still capable of keeping your body, although with limitations upon it. Such warriors as the Ginyu senshi could've been sent to Hell, but Kaio merely requested they be sent to his planet as a training course for Tenshinhan, Yamcha, and Chaozu. We also see in a flashback when Cell is under judgment from Enma, his body is fully intact, just with a halo (and even though he just screams, I find this flashback one of Dameon Clarke's best performances as Cell :P ), but Enma simply says "Off to Hell!" and he's sucked down.

I also find reincarnation to be a rare circumstance in the afterlife judgment in the anime. Just about all main villains go to Hell with spiritual-physical bodies intact, even Dabra whom goes upward to Heaven as "punishment". However, Majin Vegeta and Kid Buu are the only true beings considered to undergo the process. Vegeta doesn't because Enma thought it wise to preserve him in case Buu posed a threat to everything beyond Earth, and Buu was reincarnated because Goku requested it.
... This makes me wonder what would have happened if Enma had just decided to keep Vejita in Hell or have him go through the amnesiatic cleaning process. I mean, would he even be allowed to come back in the same way Goku and Grandpa Gohan did, since he DID end up in Hell? And what would have happened had he not been allowed to come back?

Part of me thinks that, given the course of the story at that point (since no one was anticipating Vejita's return anyway), Goku would have fused with Mr. Satan and the resulting fusion would have been killed, the world destroyed, end of Dragonball, etc. But the question still makes me think of possibilities possibly worthy of some kind of fanfiction. At this point, it's still all pondering, though.
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:38 pm

I don't think Dabra kept his body. See how he, Bulma, Videl, Chi-Chi and he have those whispy tail things? I think they are really soul clouds, just they are made to look like their corporeal forms so that viewers would know who they are, much like how Toriyama-Sensei made the qi attacks visible.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!