Difference between Viz Manga and the Japanese Original?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Phenomenol
Banned

Difference between Viz Manga and the Japanese Original?

Post by Phenomenol » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Is the Viz manga like the Dub version of the american cartoon?

Is The Dub dialogue of Dragnonball Z is different form the dialogue of the japanese original manga?
"Wisdom is the principle thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding."

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:15 pm

It's MOSTLY a lot more faithful to the original Japanese than the dub ever dreamed of. Mostly.
Trunks & Goten forever

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:16 pm

I believe it's pretty accurate in terms of dialouge, but there are some cases in the later volumes where they've censored it a bit. (Guns becoming laser-guns, Mr. Satan becoming H e r c u l e, #16's "Hell Blast" becoming "Inferno Blast" and so on.)

But it's not BASED on the dub or anything, it just borrows a few names from it. But I wouldn't buy those volumes now, as they will be doing a Kanzenban-ish rerelease pretty soon. Unless that one is censored too, I'd suggest you try getting those instead.

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:55 pm

Or you can simply buy the manga on eBay in a lot for really cheap. I got volumes 1-16 for 37 bucks, and 13 bucks shipping and handling.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:32 am

There are a very few minor edits to the manga, most of which are perfectly logical and understandable, and the amount of which pale in comparison to the dub.

If you're looking to start collecting Viz's DB/Z manga, I'd wait until they start releasing it as part of this "Viz Big" thing they announced.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:10 am

The Dragon Ball portion was by far quite accurate. There were a few edits here and there involving black people (their lips were blackened to avoid the black face controversies). There's an edition of one of the books where Kuririn raises up Bulma's shirt for Roshi to nosebleed on the Invisible Man. Originally, Bulma had nothing underneath. The reprints out right now have her wearing a bra. Other than that, there's nothing much else of Dragon Ball unless you wanna also count Lunch no longer having a knife held up to her neck when the Red Ribbon Army invaded Roshi's island.

Though Dragon Ball Z has a few oddities (like Piccolo's "Light of Death" in the first book, or claims that Mr. Satan was a professional wrestler) and a little more censorship. Black faces are removed again (mostly Mr. Popo), #17 no longer shoots someone with the small gun he had in his pocket (he instead punches them). A cover page involving everyone flipping off Cell was edited so that their fists were held awkwardly at him. They also refer to the Artificial Humans as Androids despite having an explanation they #17 and #18 are actually cyborgs. You also have the weird changes such as Djinn Boo and Vegerot. DBZ was primarily translated solidly up until the end of Freeza.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:52 am

Tsukento wrote:You also have the weird changes such as Djinn Boo and Vegerot.
Damnit, why does everyone complain about Vegerot? It makes perfect sense. Djinn Boo on the other hand... He has an "M" on his belt. All of Babidi's other slaves have "M"s on their foreheads. What would that stand for, when the "Majin"-title isn't there anymore?

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:30 am

Vegard Aune wrote:Damnit, why does everyone complain about Vegerot? It makes perfect sense.
Well, I will admit that it does make sense, but it kinda reminds me of rotting vegetables... Which isn't a favourable image to associate with the universe's most powerful entity.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:25 am

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:Damnit, why does everyone complain about Vegerot? It makes perfect sense.
Well, I will admit that it does make sense, but it kinda reminds me of rotting vegetables... Which isn't a favourable image to associate with the universe's most powerful entity.
I have yet to hear anyone complaining about "Caca-rot," though.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:31 pm

I always just saw Vegerot as one of those typical Viz name changes, such as calling the Saibamen "Cultivars".

For the record censoring the Dragonball manga is actually getting me fairly mad. Why bother putting a bra on Bulma, does it really matter if we see her boobs? Were people complaining? I used to look at the manga knowing it was the uncensored cheap alternative to buying Dragonball DVDs but now that they are ruining the manga by making stupid changes such as editing guns, curse words and evil "boobs" I guess I'm screwed. (I own the original and for the most part uncensored manga but they are getting in pretty bad shape.)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:03 pm

Hopefully the Kanzenban-ish release will have no censoring, like it was MEANT TO BE SEEN.

Just that phrase gives me nightmares of a giant orange kanzenban with half of each panel missing and brightened/contrasted panels that have a blue tint.

Phenomenol
Banned

Post by Phenomenol » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:24 pm

Okay I like the suggestions.

Is the Viz manga credible and faithful in dialogue to the japanese original?

For example does what does Gotenks say after he flew around the world in both versions?
"Wisdom is the principle thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding."

Luffy

Post by Luffy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:01 pm

Think he said it in both, but when the picture is him flying around the world many times i wonder how they would go around that.
:D

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:42 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:All of Babidi's other slaves have "M"s on their foreheads. What would that stand for, when the "Majin"-title isn't there anymore?
Well, as much as I think "Djinn" is stupid, I don't think the M was ever intended to stand for "Majin" anyway.

Even though most people like to claim that 魔人 (Majin) simply means "demon person" or "evil person," 魔 (Ma) also can refer to "magic." (Even in the west, magic was also traditionally thought of as "the work of the devil," hence things like women suspected of witchcraft being burned at the stake, so the connection shouldn't be that hard to understand.)

Since magic is obviously quite prominent in the Buu arc, that's the definition I've always felt was intended from the Japanese versions. Hell, Bibidi and Babidi are called 魔導師 (Madoushi), which refers to wizards/mages/warlocks/sorcerers. But if people broke up that word the same way they break up Majin, they'd get "master of controlling demons," which is definitely incorrect.

But anyway, the point of this rambling is that if the Ma in Majin is referring to "magic," then it doesn't make sense for anyone but Buu to ever be referred to as such, since the word would mean something along the lines of "magical being," "magical humanoid," or "being of a magical race." And Vegeta and the others don't get turned into anything like that (or demons, for that matter); they just become Babidi's slaves.

...Which is what leads me to believe that the M most likely stands for Madoushi Babidi (or Bibidi, in Buu's case).
-Rachel

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:48 pm

TripleRach wrote:as much as I think "Djinn" is stupid
(it is a valid translation of "majin"!)
I don't think the M was ever intended to stand for "Majin" anyway.
And I'm not even sure it's supposed to be the letter "M", so...

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:(it is a valid translation of "majin"!)
And your point is? She pointed out that's how she thinks of it, now you wanna nag on her opinion, why? She's well aware of it being optional as a translation for "Majin", as are some others of us, but we still think of it as stupid. Viz could've just as easily stuck to Majin as FUNimation and every other company has, or merely called it "Demon Race" or something like that. As a translation, Djinn is an equivalent to a genie, but only Buu of the Majins can be compared to one. So should we think of Majin Vegeta or Yakon as genies? If anything, Djinn was translated with the wrong context in mind by Viz. But whatever.
14 years later

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
TripleRach wrote:as much as I think "Djinn" is stupid
(it is a valid translation of "majin"!)
I'm not denying that. But just because "majin" can be translated as "djinn" doesn't mean it should be translated as "djinn." The character and his origin don't match the term at all.
I don't think the M was ever intended to stand for "Majin" anyway.
I thought about that, too, but an obvious counter would be bringing up something like "KAME HOUSE."
-Rachel

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:11 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote:(it is a valid translation of "majin"!)
And your point is?
Spelled out above?
She pointed out that's how she thinks of it, now you wanna nag on her opinion, why?
"Nag on her opinion"? What?
She's well aware of it being optional as a translation for "Majin", as are some others of us, but we still think of it as stupid.
Well, I still don't think of it as stupid.
But apparently, your saying you think it's stupid is all right, but my saying I don't think so deserves a scolding...
As a translation, Djinn is an equivalent to a genie, but only Buu of the Majins can be compared to one.
Considering he's the only character that's referred to as being a "majin" in the series, I fail to see the problem...

TripleRach wrote:The character and his origin don't match the term at all.
Huh? I'd think they do, on the contrary.
Check the clothes. Check how he makes his first appearance. Check the shape of the thing Spopobitch used to steal Gohan's energy.
It all screams "Aladdin" to me.
I thought about that, too, but an obvious counter would be bringing up something like "KAME HOUSE."
Er... That's quite the extreme counter-argument... We're talking about one symbol, here. ^^;
This isn't the letter "M", for example.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:42 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:"Nag on her opinion"? What?
Yes, "nag on her opinion". You felt it was necessary to point out something to Rachel she's well aware of when all she was doing was stating an opinion, therefore you were essentially talking down to her from my point of view. If she blatantly said Djinn doesn't belong there for fact, then debating her would be welcome. But telling her something she's well aware of in a situation that doesn't call for it is pretty unnecessary IMHO.
Olivier Hague wrote:But apparently, your saying you think it's stupid is all right, but my saying I don't think so deserves a scolding...
No, don't try and twist this to attempt to make me look like the bad guy. As I just pointed out, the reason I may've appeared harsh was because you made a reply to Rachel that really wasn't necessary considering the context of her post.
Olivier Hague wrote:"Considering he's the only character that's referred to as being a "majin" in the series, I fail to see the problem...
Vegeta's Majin form, while not considered as such directly in the manga, is referred to as "Majin" in the video games; both Japanese version and NA/International produced. Official source?
14 years later

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:52 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Yes, "nag on her opinion". You felt it was necessary to point out something to Rachel she's well aware of when all she was doing was stating an opinion, therefore you were essentially talking down to her from my point of view.
Well, not from mine, then. Heh.
If she blatantly said Djinn doesn't belong there for fact, then debating her would be welcome.
And you can't debate about opinions? Since when? When did that happen?
But telling her
We're on a forum, I wasn't necessarily saying that only to her...
something she's well aware of
Because, naturally, I knew that she was well aware of that. Of course. Just like I know what she had for breakfast this morning.
Come on, now...
in a situation that doesn't call for it is pretty unnecessary IMHO.
If not downright insulting! Which is why you stood up! For great justice!
Vegeta's Majin form, while not considered as such directly in the manga, is referred to as "Majin" in the video games; both Japanese version and NA/International produced.
That's fairly recent, and I would bet it's just an example of a fan-made appelation eventually finding its way into official products.
I believe I had never seen Vegeta referred to as "Majin Vegeta" prior to the US run of "Dragon Ball Z", really...