Size of Planet Namek?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Size of Planet Namek?

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:05 pm

Hey, all. Just something I've been thinking about lately:

Is the size of planet Namek (such as in comparison to that of Earth, for example) ever given anywhere within the manga or anime? I tend to think of it as a planet much larger than ours, but it's just a feeling and I can think of no source with which to either verify or dispute myself with.

Thoughts?

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:20 pm

That's a good question, and while I'm not sure about Namek, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Dragonball Earth was bigger than the real world's? If that's the case the scale could be messed up.
Hey, I entirely forgot I had an account here. AGAIN.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Size of Planet Namek?

Post by Rocketman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:24 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Hey, all. Just something I've been thinking about lately:

Is the size of planet Namek (such as in comparison to that of Earth, for example) ever given anywhere within the manga or anime? I tend to think of it as a planet much larger than ours, but it's just a feeling and I can think of no source with which to either verify or dispute myself with.

Thoughts?
Bulma walks normally. Namek has practically the same gravity as Earth.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:05 am

I swear it's stated somewhere in the manga that Namek is much larger than Earth, which is part of why it takes so long to travel across it, but I can't remember where.

As for gravity, I don't think that's the best argument for size. Just look at Kaiou's tiny little planet, which has 10x Earth's gravity. Plus, I don't think it quite works that way in the real universe, either.
-Rachel

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:19 am

TripleRach wrote:I swear it's stated somewhere in the manga that Namek is much larger than Earth, which is part of why it takes so long to travel across it, but I can't remember where.

As for gravity, I don't think that's the best argument for size. Just look at Kaiou's tiny little planet, which has 10x Earth's gravity. Plus, I don't think it quite works that way in the real universe, either.
Yeah, it doesn't work that way even in the real world. You could have a planet five light years across with gravity lower than Earth's. Just look at blakholes. They have reeeeeeeeeeeeeally tiny stars inside them (IIRC, about the size of our moon) and produce the most gravity of anything in the universe. Size is meaningless, it's mass that matters.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:03 am

Well, then we have how fast people are and how far they travel and directions and stuff...
Wait, haven't we located tripple sarsystems lately that have planets? Ee gad! *looks for Namek*

Hmm, is there any evidence to suggest that DB-Earth is bigger than our Earth? If anything it feels kinda smaller to me... but then again, they do have those places that "are completely desolate and neer to be found in real life at all and it's huge and a bajillion miles wide and nowhere to be found on Earth but it's right over there"...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:56 am

The way I figure it due to all the wilderness, Dragonball Earth is either waaaay bigger than Real Earth or the population is just ridiculously small.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:40 am

Maybe most of the population has moved into the big cities and left the wilderness to thrive? :P

... was distance ever mentioned on Namek? I know every now and then it was mentioned in DB (particularly the RE <kkills IE7> RedRibbon ark)... but I don't recall if there were any distances given for like, locations of dbs or power levels or something...
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:08 am

Xyex wrote:Yeah, it doesn't work that way even in the real world. You could have a planet five light years across with gravity lower than Earth's.
No, you couldn't. Not even black holes have enough gravity to hold something together across five light-years.
Just look at blakholes. They have reeeeeeeeeeeeeally tiny stars inside them (IIRC, about the size of our moon) and produce the most gravity of anything in the universe. Size is meaningless, it's mass that matters.
Stars inside black holes have collapsed down to a point - no width, no thickness, no length.

Anyways, it's density that matters. And I wasn't saying that proved Namek's size, just that 'Namek has about the same gravity' is about the only thing even related to its size mentioned in the manga.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:24 am

I was always under the impression it was pretty big. Probably because Freeza's Death Ball didn't blow it up right away.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:42 am

Stars inside black holes have collapsed down to a point - no width, no thickness, no length.
Actually, don't black holes have to be inside the Schwartzchild radius, not necessarily all inside the singularity? (EG: there is the possibility of super-massive black holes that are less dense than water? Or so I've read. Yeah... umm... I don't see how that can work. But yeah... the SR for the sun is tiny, but more than a point).

*ahem*. So... Namek is about the same mass as the Earth. Size-wise... umm... Well, maybe we could figure density to some extent by trying to figure out its composition?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:55 am

Furu wrote:The way I figure it due to all the wilderness, Dragonball Earth is either waaaay bigger than Real Earth or the population is just ridiculously small.
I think, but I could be completely wrong, that it was mentioned somewhere that Earth's population in DB is pretty small. Like a few hundred million at most. But I can't remember where I read/heard that so it could just be a fan thing....
No, you couldn't. Not even black holes have enough gravity to hold something together across five light-years.
It was an exageration. And even if something was able to hold together at a size of 5 light-years that still wouldn't mean it would have high gravity.
Not according to quantam mechanics. :P Granted, the size I gave could be smaller or bigger than the star at the center of a black hole but I needed an example.
Anyways, it's density that matters.
Well, density and mass. Just because something's dense doesn't mean it'll have high gravity. It's got to have a decent ammount of mass to go with that density.
And I wasn't saying that proved Namek's size, just that 'Namek has about the same gravity' is about the only thing even related to its size mentioned in the manga.
Well, that obviously wasn't how it was percieved. :P
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dragon Ball Daisuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Ball Daisuki » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:32 pm

About earth's population and its completely biased metropolitan-to-wilderness levels:

I always tended to believe that Piccolo Daimao's original attack on the world (or some other huge threat in the past... something having to do with a meteor shower or other humans perhaps?) resulted in the decimation of much of Earth's civilization. So they decided to build these four World Capitals instead of focusing on innumerable factions of cities and suburbs. It's also interesting to note that DB-Earth seems to have an all-encompassing "world government" -- disregarding smaller, third-world kingdoms like... Pilaf's.

And in the movies there was, um... Gurumes and whatever the hell Chaozu's kingdom was. But these are probably exceptions and not the rule. The fact that the world has a king sort of speaks volumes about the world's condition.

But yeah.. I guess this sort of government sort of facillitates a [relatively] small amount of people.
For yer health!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:23 pm

That makes me wonder if each of the capitals didn't have a local governor/lord type person ... in fact... I'd be surprised if such didn't exist, yet nothing of the sort was hinted at in the series, was it?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:54 pm

caejones wrote:Actually, don't black holes have to be inside the Schwartzchild radius, not necessarily all inside the singularity?
No. Once an object collapses small enough to be inside its S. radius, there is nothing in the universe that can stop it from crunching down to a singularity.
(EG: there is the possibility of super-massive black holes that are less dense than water? Or so I've read. Yeah... umm... I don't see how that can work. But yeah... the SR for the sun is tiny, but more than a point)
That probably counted the volume of the event horizon as the volume of the black hole (which it is, actually), and:

COCONUT MILK
Beyond Newbie

Post by COCONUT MILK » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:41 pm

In the games namek is smaller than earth.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:24 pm

Rocketman wrote: <snip>

... *has no idea what said images are except the names suggest something to do with density*.

As for the games: Well, we tend to see less unique areas on Namek (a lot of green space...), and we actually see how most of it connects, where as on Earth a lot of areas are treated as very unique, so the games wouldn't have much to work with at making Namek huge without just wasting space.
(On That note... was more of Namek used than Earth by the time Namek exploded? Or even until the Buu Saga?).

Well, actuall... What about Super Saiya Densetsu for Super Famicon... the Namek part of the story had a lot more map-ness than the Earth part, didn't it?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:42 pm

caejones wrote:... *has no idea what said images are except the names suggest something to do with density*.
Supermassive black hole. It may have the mass of 150 million Suns, but if the event horizon ecloses the volume of 160 million Suns, then it only has a density of .93rds of a Sun.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:03 pm

Muri described planet Namek as "vast." Dodoria described planet Namek as "isn't such a big planet." That's all I found when I skimmed my manga this morning.

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:19 pm

Tyro wrote:Muri described planet Namek as "vast." Dodoria described planet Namek as "isn't such a big planet." That's all I found when I skimmed my manga this morning.
So we've got the opinion of someone who has never left the planet and someone who has been all over the North galaxy.

Yeah, that doesn't help at all.