Cell dub line question.....

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Cell dub line question.....

Post by Toniofalcon » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:30 pm

This may or may not have been asked before, but I'll shoot. In the dub First Form Cell is fighting Piccolo ( or someone else, I'm not sure ) and during the fight the person says " Who are you? " to which Cell responds " Your brother" and then hits him.

Can anyone bring any logic to this? It was never brought up again and it just doesn't make any sense at all. Quite possibly the worst dub line in the entire series. Just doesn't make sense. I wonder what Cell said originally.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:34 pm

No, he actually said that originally as well. He has Piccolo's cells, so he's technically Piccolo's brother. In a way. At least, that's what he meant.

I remembr someone sending a letter to the letter column in the Danish DB books asking if Cell was a Nameckian, I'm certain that assumption came from this line.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:52 pm

He was comprised of Piccolo's cell's, among others...so he's like a "brother" to all those he has cell's from.

I never saw any lack of sense in this line, and it's in the Manga, Anime, and Dub.

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:09 am

I knew what it meant, but it just seemed out of place. I just think that something better could've been used. I know when I first heard that I actually thought he was Piccolo's brother. That was long ago, though :)

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:08 pm

I thought that too when I first played Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and knew nothing about Dragon Ball.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:39 pm

Yeah I thought it was pretty common sense. Cell is made from Piccolo's DNA.

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:03 pm

Yeah, but that would make him more of a clone, not so much a brother. Unless they're identical twin brothers, two brothers always have different DNA somewhat.

I know I'm looking too deeply into this.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:07 am

Toniofalcon wrote:I knew what it meant, but it just seemed out of place. I just think that something better could've been used. I know when I first heard that I actually thought he was Piccolo's brother. That was long ago, though :)
You think thats bad!, when I first played Hyper Dimension on Snes when I was quite the whipper snapper, I thought Majin Buu was Kaio's brother or something :oops:

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:11 am

Toniofalcon wrote:Yeah, but that would make him more of a clone, not so much a brother. Unless they're identical twin brothers, two brothers always have different DNA somewhat.

I know I'm looking too deeply into this.
But his DNA is different, cause he's got other people's DNA too. :P He's related to Piccolo, brother is just the closest aproximation to how they're related.
Captain Awesome wrote:You think thats bad!, when I first played Hyper Dimension on Snes when I was quite the whipper snapper, I thought Majin Buu was Kaio's brother or something :oops:
Haha. First time I saw an image of Tapion I thought he was related to the Supreme Kai somehow, like a brother or something.
Last edited by Xyex on Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:03 am

This may or may not have been asked before, but I'll shoot. In the dub First Form Cell is fighting Piccolo ( or someone else, I'm not sure ) and during the fight the person says " Who are you? " to which Cell responds " Your brother" and then hits him.

Can anyone bring any logic to this? It was never brought up again and it just doesn't make any sense at all. Quite possibly the worst dub line in the entire series. Just doesn't make sense. I wonder what Cell said originally.
Even though it was probably a stupid dub quote on FUNimation's part, it does actually make sense if you look at the Namekian race. I however doubt that it was intentionally supposed to make sense like this: Nameks reproduce asexually, therefore technically ALL nameks (aside from the one reproducing, in this case, Guru) are brothers. Since Cell is part of Piccolo, he is genetically considered a member of the Namekian race, but with diluted blood. Cell shares the same DNA as all Nameks, so in turn it makes him a "brother" to Piccolo.
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:23 pm

DemonKingPiccolo wrote:Even though it was probably a stupid dub quote on FUNimation's part, it does actually make sense if you look at the Namekian race.
Did you even read through the topic? It WASN'T a dub-line. He says the exact same thing in the original, because they share some of the same DNA.

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:59 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
DemonKingPiccolo wrote:Even though it was probably a stupid dub quote on FUNimation's part, it does actually make sense if you look at the Namekian race.
Did you even read through the topic? It WASN'T a dub-line. He says the exact same thing in the original, because they share some of the same DNA.
How exceptionally rude, I'll ask you a simple question, do you read every post on a thread? I sure as hell don't. :x
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:45 am

DemonKingPiccolo wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:
How exceptionally rude, I'll ask you a simple question, do you read every post on a thread? I sure as hell don't. :x
I don't know about Vegard Aune, but on a topic this short I read every post to see what's been said already.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:54 am

(Sticks nose in unnecessarily)

Unless we're talking like a Season Set discussion thread, I pretty much read everything in a thread before posting, which is why I don't have a whole lot to say most of the time.

Then again, I also pick and choose what threads have any interest to me...there are many I simply never even open.

So, it did somewhat stick out to me when you backtracked a finished conversation. Not to be down on you DemonKing, it just...it was noticeable.

SSj Gogito
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSj Gogito » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:46 pm

Even when i first watched that when i was young i new it meant something deeper
Where's The Beef

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:56 pm

SSj Gogito wrote:Even when i first watched that when i was young i new it meant something deeper
:roll:

So did I. I just thought ( and still think ) it's a stupid line. Yes I know exactly what they were trying to say. Don't care if it was in the original .

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:10 pm

I don't see why it's stupid, it makes perfect sense if you don't take it literally.

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:07 am

Ugh.

That's the thing, It makes perfect sense if you do take it literately, too. I would've preferred " I have your DNA ".

Maybe they were purposely trying to lead the fans on. You couldn't possibly have known that he actually meant " I just have your DNA and am not actually related to you " upon first seeing that unless you had prior knowledge.

And don't try to make me look like an idiot because you know that's true. Not specifically the poster above me, but I just get that vibe from people throughout this thread.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:19 am

That is true, but just by looking at the guy you know he can't REALLY be Piccolo's brother. (by this time in the series I think it's safe to say all Namekians look basically the same.)

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:35 am

SonEric84 wrote:That is true, but just by looking at the guy you know he can't REALLY be Piccolo's brother. (by this time in the series I think it's safe to say all Namekians look basically the same.)
Unless he's actually one of King Piccolo's long lost 'demon spawn'! >.>
<Xyex> Good point.