Episode #0096 (30 September 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0096 (30 September 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:47 pm

Episode #0096 (download MP3)
43:31; 64 kbps, mono; 29.8 MB

Episode #0096! VegettoEX and Meri finally get a chance to check in with Julian over in Japan, but some audio equipment explodes, so we have to cut that conversation a little short. We discuss GT's importance in DB fandom. Should it be acknowledged? Enjoyed? Ignored? Tolerated? AWA review, October's releases, and some more e-mails round out the episode. See you next week at MangaNEXT! Referenced sites:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:44 pm

I've made this comparison before, but I'll mention it again. GT is the deformed crackbaby of the DragonBall world. It's ugly, but you can't help but love it anyway. It's got its flaws, but its charms are still memorable in themselves.

On the subject of GT Rewrite Fanfics... Well, what can I say, it lends itself well to rewrites. I chose the safer route with mine, choosing to stick with the basic premises of each of the sagas, but fixing. Plus, Mike, I promise my version of the Shadow Dragons Saga will be better than the original. It already is, and I've only barely planned it. I'll link you to it when I get to it in about 20 years.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:31 pm

Aw, the first new episode with Julian "live" from Japan, and an explosion occurs.

The Baby/Bebi saga was actually one of the things I genuinely liked about GT... not counting the saga's final episode with the crappy animation. The only other thing I like from GT is its music. I still don't get why there isn't a collection of the Opening and Ending music all put together on one CD (not counting bootlegs).

Back when FUNimation was releasing the series on DVD, I'd go out and get the DVDs right when they came out and was actually enjoying the series, unaware of all of its "errors," until much later in my fandom. Re-watching the Dark Dragons saga actually did make me fall asleep, which is pretty rare for me, no matter how dull I find something. It's not that I just went with the majority that said that GT was horrible, I just eventually picked up on things like inconsistencies. The fact that robots can be resurrected in GT still ticks me off...

As for the Chinese Live-Action movie being released on DVD, I seriously thought that the picture of the box art put up on the site was some kind of fake until I clicked on the RightStuff link.

... and I do agree that you'd have to be out of your mind to not want to play as Arale in the next game. I'm not even into fighting games and I want to play as Arale!

Awesome podcast, and in case you didn't check YouTube, awesome Death Note AMV :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:31 pm

Yay~! New podcast! X3 And MangaNEXT is next weekend!

*goes off to listen to the podcast*
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:32 pm

I think the only reason I had a problem with DragonBall GT is because Goku is a kid again. What I mean by that is, its not the same Goku that I watched grow as a person. These people age during the series, especially Goku. We saw him as a kid, a teen, an adult and then as an older man. Then what? He's a kid again? That didn't sit well with me at all.

When the series first came out (in Japan) and I was watching these fan subs on VHS, I was buying these videos waiting for the episode when Goku would turn back into an adult. That never happened and I was left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:49 pm

C'mon guys, bring back the top five list! That's one of my favorite sections. Great episode as always, though, and I can't wait for the suprise of ep. 100.

Dragon Ball GT is not my favorite of the three series, a few things are annoying about it, it misses some oppertunities, and things could have been better. Kid Goku I hated, that's what bothers me the most about it, and the World Tournament episode was a big let down.

But I like GT and it doesn't effect my fandome negatively at all except for that it's a sequel not quite as good as the original since it doesn't have the original story teller. I hold the last episode and the TV special close to my heart. Certain characters develope really well since the end of Z, particularly Uub. Piccolo's death was awsome and really brought the character development of him to a great climax. All four storylines are really good ideas and are perfect for final arcs all running on the theme of past actons of the crew re-surfacing. I really should say the last three, not so much the black star Dragon Ball stuff as much.

Probably my favorite part of GT is the little special attack sequences that they throw in that are pure gold. Vegeta's Galic Gun before being takin over by Baby. Goku's Dragon Fist. Uub's Kamehameha against Baby. Gogeta's Big Bang Kamehameha.
Finally, one of the coolest things I've seen in GT. I bought Funimation's box set 2 yesterday and saw some episodes in the Baby Saga for the first time. Pan fires a Masenko at Baby! There's no mistaking it, I totally geeked out finding out that Gohan tought her this move.

So yeah. GT, too bad they got some stuff wrong, but I like it and approve.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:01 am

Yes, I am one of those people who completely "rewrote" GT as she was originally watching it because she was so unhappy with the directions it took. I forget some of the names of the fics but I know the first one was way back in 03.

The thing I was most unhappy with was them turning Goku into a kid. I was one of those fans who, back when she first got into dbz, totally fangirled over adult Goku as I watched him hand the Ginyu Forces' collective asses to them while swooping in shining-armor style to save Gohan, Vegeta, and Kuririn from certain doom.
I thought that THAT Goku was amazing. <3
So seeing them chibify him upset me greatly. :evil:

To be honest, I think part of the reason why they made ssj4 the way they did, having it so Goku was an adult while in that form was to get people to like the form BECAUSE he was finally adult. If you wanted adult Goku during gt, ssj4 was all you had.
And while ssj4 is handy in terms of fanfic purposes, I find ssj3 is, to me, the pinnacle of Goku's power. Always thought ssj4 was more of a compact oozaru form.

I also found gt to be seriously lacking in all things Vegeta.
Vegeta's just such a fun character for me to watch, just because of how overboard he goes with things.
Seeing him stuffed in the backdrop the way they did Yamcha and Tenshinhan broke my heart.
At least Tenshinhan never suffered a "moo-stache" and horrible haircuts!!

I think I would've enjoyed GT (especially the early eps) a lot more if Goku was an adult on those travels. I mean, his chibified form didn't even LOOK like how it did back in Dragon Ball. It lacked the chubby, round form I find adorable in db's child Goku. GT chibi Goku looks more like Goten with a tan if anything.

....I'm ranting aren't I?
Forgive me. ^^;;;

Anyways, my take: GT needed more adult Goku and more screentime for Vegeta. You know what, I wanted to see them send VEGETA into outer space with ADULT Goku, Trunks, and Pan.
Can you imagine Vegeta and and Adult Goku in that episode with the Para Para Bros? Or the episode with the bride? I would have loved that if they stuck real Vegeta, who actually has experience out in space, along with them.
OH! And to keep Goten's end-of-dbz haircut. His GT hair was equal in horrificness to Vegeta's.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:33 am

On the subjects of GT rewrites, I do more-or-less what ssj Kaboom does, I take the safe route and use the story that's present, but I fix it up to make sense. I leave in SS4 for 2 reasons only - 1) It's a new series and probably does need a new form, as odd as it may be, and 2) it's how I get Goku to be an adult again - my theory for it (in my rewrites anyway) is that since it was the first time he reached that form, he reverted into an adult again, and after he powered down I make him be an adult again. My reasoning is that he was a kid when he went SS3 (his previous maximum) was because he was capable of that before being chibified. So, it's a loophole.

I also don't make Uub so friggin weak! :evil:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:51 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:2) it's how I get Goku to be an adult again - my theory for it (in my rewrites anyway) is that since it was the first time he reached that form, he reverted into an adult again, and after he powered down I make him be an adult again.
Heeey, that's what I'm doing!

I guess great minds think alike... or DO they?
deviantART
[thread]

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:55 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:On the subjects of GT rewrites, I do more-or-less what ssj Kaboom does, I take the safe route and use the story that's present, but I fix it up to make sense. I leave in SS4 for 2 reasons only - 1) It's a new series and probably does need a new form, as odd as it may be, and 2) it's how I get Goku to be an adult again - my theory for it (in my rewrites anyway) is that since it was the first time he reached that form, he reverted into an adult again, and after he powered down I make him be an adult again. My reasoning is that he was a kid when he went SS3 (his previous maximum) was because he was capable of that before being chibified. So, it's a loophole.

I also don't make Uub so friggin weak! :evil:
Exactly what I was thinking. He is supposed to be this ultra-powerful reborn version of Buu. Having him being beaten to a pulp by Bebi doesn't satisfy me despite of Uub's overwhelming origin. After listening to this episode, though, I started to keep myself from steaming. So I concluded that Uub is a human, and for a human to be able to fight Goku in such a destructive manner at the start of the series, that is impressive in itself. :)

Oh, and ignore the ones who bashes Arale, who knows nothing about where she comes from. They'd flame ya if you try to educate them. (I'm an overcooked cannibal food right now. :lol: )
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:23 am

To ssj Kaboom - LOL, apparantly so. :D

To kvon - Yeah, people seriously underestimate Arale. And I can deal with Uub losing to Baby, just not to the same degree that he did. At least they had him be one of the reasons he is beaten though.

What I don't like is the Super 17 Saga's big fight. SS Vegeta (possibly SS2), SS Gohan (possibly SS2), SS Goten, SS Trunks, and Majuub all blast the crap out of him to no effect, and I'm expected to believe Goku shows up in SS1 form and fights evenly with him. Hmm, how bout no! :evil:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:20 am

Meh, having Goku return to kid form doesn't bother me at all... though that several characters were mutilated an a lot of utter nonsense and... *hed explodes*. (And the dub's music "music" sure didn't help... ^^).

Lezee... Freeza and Cell Vs Goku... wow, that could have been Paikuhan filler Badass, but nah... Goku just got the "I'm the hero, so no matter what you do I still win!" treatment.
Actually... I think Goten and Gohan's action in the pre SSJ4 Bebi stuff was mildly awesome... but it's like, why would I drink a glass of mud for a single marshmallow in the bottom of the glass?

Though, the nature of GT's story lends itself to being infinitely better in RPG form, especially the choose-your-party-members variety. Still, that can't make up for a lot of the "WTF?" decisions...

So in conclusion, read Kaboom's rewrite.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:43 am

I wonder how Atari's going to get around Arale's voice in the English audio side of things.
The world is your's.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:03 am

Well, they could go with her dub voice from DB and DB movie3?
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:50 am

AWA was indeed fun, and this year's Iron Editor put forth a very close battle. The funny thing is, I thought Mike made Meri's video and Meri made Mike's video. When a couple other people explained why I had pegged them wrong, it made perfect sense. Way to go, both of you, for a close battle - the closest IMO since 2003. (And yay for Meri for using an ITG song for her Iron Editor video! Thanks, Meri, for the small chat we had after Iron Editor.) Apparently also, the "box o' art books for $10" dealer returned to AWA, because I found the box and a copy of Daizenshuu #2 (story guide), which I promptly bought for $10. The dealer's room this year was pretty "meh"; other than catching up on a few current series, there really wasn't much of any interesting merchandise other than Bleach and Death Note stuff.

Just one question about this week's show: As someone who hasn't really had an interest in DB GT, what DVDs should I get of GT? Should I get the so-called "Lost Episodes" because they're more fun? Should I get the very last disc? Or should I just skip it altogether?
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:41 pm

caejones wrote:Well, they could go with her dub voice from DB and DB movie3?
She was in one of the movies? Which one is number 3 again?
deviantART
[thread]

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:54 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:

I think it was Mystical Adventure.

Kurai_Neko

Post by Kurai_Neko » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:22 pm

I haven't seen a lot of GT past the middle of the Bebi stuff. I saw some of the evil dragons episodes, but they were kind of 'ehh.' Personally, I thought Goku turning into a little kid was HILARIOUS. I really started with the DB manga, so Goku as a kid was more familiar territory to me. The first stuff I saw was the edited episodes on Cartoon Network when GT first aired over here, and I could kind of tell 'Oh, hey...this seems a little hurried....are there supposed to be more episodes or something?' But I was sort of looking forward to seeing it (due to the whole Goku-becomes-a-little-kid-again) after seeing a short article about GT in domestic Shonen Jump.
Overall, I rather liked the early stuff, but I probably wouldn't want to really see the rest of the series (except for the last episode, which-- after listening to episode 91 of the podcast-- sounds absolutely amazing). But that's just my opinion. I think that there would definitely be room for a rewrite in a fan fiction, but I'm not the one to do such a thing. I'm too lazy of a writer, for one (haha), and I bet that some other people could do better than me. For another, I've sort of fallen out of fan fiction writing recently (but I still enjoy reading the better ones). Anyways, that's just my two cents.

About Arale in Sparking Meteor: I also will be interested to see what they do with her in the domestic release. ^_^ I'm overjoyed that she's going to be in the game-- yay! Maybe I'll actually have to pick up this one (I haven't really played the others) just for Arale.
'This isn't the Tenkaichi Budoukai, you know!' -Ayame
'Well, I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition!' -Miho (me)

www.ladyjaganshi.deviantart.com

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:33 pm

SonEric84 wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:

Yeah, the version of the dub where Goku was played by Dende... :?
And while we're on the topic of Arale dubbed... Funi Dr. Slump from the crossover was meh. I much prefer Fyrestarter's.

I... still haven't watched the 'lost episodes' or most of the post-Bebi stuff. Though I think I've seen most of the Dragons... which was varied up enough to be mildly intereesting, but got very "*sigh*" after a while. (I... wasn't very impressed with the Ii Xinlong fight... especially the random "Hah hah, I have a genkidama; now I automatically win!"...).
I do have to say the TV special was better than most of its 64-episode counterpart... and I have it in both English and Japanese. Yay! *considers watching it now*

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:40 pm

caejones wrote:
SonEric84 wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote: She was in one of the movies? Which one is number 3 again?

Yeah, the version of the dub where Goku was played by Dende... :?
And while we're on the topic of Arale dubbed... Funi Dr. Slump from the crossover was meh. I much prefer Fyrestarter's.

I... still haven't watched the 'lost episodes' or most of the post-Bebi stuff. Though I think I've seen most of the Dragons... which was varied up enough to be mildly intereesting, but got very "*sigh*" after a while. (I... wasn't very impressed with the Ii Xinlong fight... especially the random "Hah hah, I have a genkidama; now I automatically win!"...).
I do have to say the TV special was better than most of its 64-episode counterpart... and I have it in both English and Japanese. Yay! *considers watching it now*

Yeah I noticed that...why was Goku's voice different in that movie?