Episode #0096 (30 September 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:16 pm

Arale playable? Totally (at least) renting this game now.

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:13 pm

I liked the characters and the fights in GT but the storylines were indeed swings and misses. I also with Uub didn't get his butt handed to him in every important fight, I mean hes Majin Buu turned good!

I personaly liked GT Kid Goku, I found him a good combo of DB and DBZ.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:40 pm

SonEric84 wrote:Yeah I noticed that...why was Goku's voice different in that movie?
It's not that Goku's voice is different in the movie... it's that Goku's voice is different in the TV series.

Mystical Adventure was released on VHS before FUNimation went back to dub the rest of the TV series (14-153, as well as re-dubbing 1-13). Before production on the TV series began, FUNimation actually put up samples of four voice works for a couple characters (I specifically remember, and may actually have the files for, both Goku and Pilaf) and let fans vote for their favorite voice. As should be obvious, Stephanie Nadolny won the role with a voice similar to her young Gohan voice (exactly as how Saffron Henderson did both Chibi Goku and Chibi Gohan). The Mystical Adventure voice was another one of the four, and I can't for the life of me remember what the other two were like.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SonEric84 wrote:Yeah I noticed that...why was Goku's voice different in that movie?
It's not that Goku's voice is different in the movie... it's that Goku's voice is different in the TV series.

Mystical Adventure was released on VHS before FUNimation went back to dub the rest of the TV series (14-153, as well as re-dubbing 1-13). Before production on the TV series began, FUNimation actually put up samples of four voice works for a couple characters (I specifically remember, and may actually have the files for, both Goku and Pilaf) and let fans vote for their favorite voice. As should be obvious, Stephanie Nadolny won the role with a voice similar to her young Gohan voice (exactly as how Saffron Henderson did both Chibi Goku and Chibi Gohan). The Mystical Adventure voice was another one of the four, and I can't for the life of me remember what the other two were like.

Ohhhh that explains it. Cause I remember watching most of DB first and then I popped the movie in and I was like "Dende? What the hell?" haha But yeah that clears it up I suppose. It would be nice if they fixed that just for continuity purposes.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:36 pm

I am actually one of the people in the world who enjoys GT. I am not a fan of the first 16 Episodes nor the beginning of the Baby Saga. ut once the fighting starts going down with Baby through the rest of GT is something I really enjoy (Well, not the early Shadow Dragons, some of them are lame). Obviously not as much as the DB/Z Era's, but it's enjoyable.

My opinion has always been that GT is an exciting Anime and a great all-around Anime. The problem is, it's shit compared to DB/Z. But regardless of the contradictions...and Goku doing everything...I found the action to be fun and exciting to watch. I don't think GT should just be ignored, but obviously not held as part of the Canon Universe. Even if you don't like or watch it, it's existence is there and people shouldn't make such a fuss over it. It's there, if you don't wanna watch it, then don't and like Mike said. If you don't want to play GT in the Video Games, then don't play as those characters. But I myself, enjoy playing as SSJ4.

Finally, Mike, props to you for telling people that GT's existence shouldn't ruin your fandom. I like it when you go philisophical on us.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:47 am

Super 17 looked so much cooler than regular 17. He's like Jyrki69!

You gotta perfect skin, with a de-veels grin.

Luffy

Post by Luffy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:56 am

Does he have eyeborws or not?
:D

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:56 am

I almost forgot to mention, at the FUNimation panel on Friday at AWA, there were two DBZ-related announcements:

-- The Season 4 Boxset, featuring the Garlic Jr., Trunks, and Androids arcs, will be released next February. A nice pic of Trunks w/the denim jacket is on the cover.

-- Also being released next February is actually a re-release of both the Bardock TV special and the Trunks TV special. Both TV specials will be released on the same DVD. (I'm not sure if it will be "remastered" but if it has at least the English dub w/Japanese BGM, I'll be happy.)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:48 am

Brakus wrote:-- Also being released next February is actually a re-release of both the Bardock TV special and the Trunks TV special. Both TV specials will be released on the same DVD. (I'm not sure if it will be "remastered" but if it has at least the English dub w/Japanese BGM, I'll be happy.)
Now that's interesting. I've managed to get both already in the last couple months, but I may pick that up anyway.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:44 pm

Brakus wrote:-- Also being released next February is actually a re-release of both the Bardock TV special and the Trunks TV special. Both TV specials will be released on the same DVD. (I'm not sure if it will be "remastered" but if it has at least the English dub w/Japanese BGM, I'll be happy.)
They better have the Japanese BGM...

If not, what would be the point of remastering it?

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:17 pm

Brakus wrote:I almost forgot to mention, at the FUNimation panel on Friday at AWA, there were two DBZ-related announcements:

-- The Season 4 Boxset, featuring the Garlic Jr., Trunks, and Androids arcs, will be released next February. A nice pic of Trunks w/the denim jacket is on the cover.

-- Also being released next February is actually a re-release of both the Bardock TV special and the Trunks TV special. Both TV specials will be released on the same DVD. (I'm not sure if it will be "remastered" but if it has at least the English dub w/Japanese BGM, I'll be happy.)
That is so sweet about the TV Special Set. But I was kind of hoping that Season 4 would be released for the Christmas Season...oh well.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:29 am

Julian quit his job with an English company that was sinking fast? I thought that was NOVA, not JET...

Anyways...I'm morbidly curious about that live action DBZ movie. It can't be worse than the "high school student by day, martial artist by night" thing Fox is doing.

My thoughts on GT was that it was *watchable* until all the old villains started appearing and acted horrendously out-of-character. I mean, Freeza working together with Cell? Ugh. It reminds me of how the Schumacher Batman movies would take random villains and just team them up for no reason at all. Like Mike and a few others have said, the show had some good *ideas* but the execution was terrible.

I do agree, though, that the music is quite good. Especially Dan Dan Kokoro.

Also...Arale in a Dragon Ball game!? Hell effing yeah! I'll have to read some online reviews before buying the game (since new games here are so damn expensive), but if it's halfway decent I may buy the game based on Arale alone.

I look forward to you guys' Manga Review of Awesomeness in two weeks (or so). I've actually picked up the kanzenban that contains all the material in Volume 9, so I'll be able to follow along with you guys from here on out.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:54 am

One thing that bothered me was that Goku seemed so concerned about Cell and Freeza coming back when he was clearly stronger than both of them without transforming meanwhile movie villian Cooler seemed to be nothing more than a background cameo. I have to say is he exists in the GT timeline wouldn't he be a bigger threat than Freeza? Heck I'd be more worried about Baby coming back to life, I mean they only just beat him.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:11 am

...for what reason was the audio explosion NOT inserted at the very end of the episode as a blooper?!

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:23 am

Duo wrote:...for what reason was the audio explosion NOT inserted at the very end of the episode as a blooper?!
Probably because it would've killed our hearing is my guess.
VegettoEX wrote:Mystical Adventure was released on VHS before FUNimation went back to dub the rest of the TV series (14-153, as well as re-dubbing 1-13). Before production on the TV series began, FUNimation actually put up samples of four voice works for a couple characters (I specifically remember, and may actually have the files for, both Goku and Pilaf) and let fans vote for their favorite voice.
Would it be possible for us to hear those? That actually sounds really interesting.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:31 pm

Dogasu wrote:I mean, Freeza working together with Cell? Ugh. It reminds me of how the Schumacher Batman movies would take random villains and just team them up for no reason at all.
They'd already been established as striking an alliance in the DBZ anime, ya' know, after Cell's death when Pikuhan kicked all their asses (they were also standing together watching the Goku/Kid Buu battle). Why do people seem to forget or just ignore that? GT didn't come out of left field with having the two team up against Goku, if anything it was a nice continuity nod to the anime timeframe. The only thing they really screwed up in that area was having normal-form Goku capable of owning them both.
14 years later

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:53 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:The only thing they really screwed up in that area was having normal-form Goku capable of owning them both.
I think at that point, it was perfectly normal for Goku to beat them without trying.

Toniofalcon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Toniofalcon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:08 pm

I actually wish this episode was longer. Clearedup a lot of things for me.

Uh...

Welcome to the Grand Tour?