Your laugh makes me creep.

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Your laugh makes me creep.

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:33 am

http://boards.ign.com/Dragon_Ball/b5653/61605827/?53

Sometimes I still like to have fun with the kids.
Last edited by VegettoEX on Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:18 pm

dear fucking GOD what the HELL kind of disease have you unleashed on innocent ol' me? You are not fair, good sir!

tl;dr- what the blazing fuck?

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:34 pm

Any topic in particular that I should find?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:45 pm

My bad. Edited the link.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:48 pm

Arg. THey're doing maintenance or something.

I'll check again later.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:58 pm

"daizex.com is probably incredible boy "

"what"

fucking hilarious. Slmshdy or whatever is also fairly funny, and I love his reasonings. "you havent given any proof besides difference in culture blah blah blah". it's all the proof you need :/

And yeah super power desk.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:10 pm

What's "consored?"

SaiyaJedi

Re: Your laugh makes me creep.

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:11 pm

VegettoEX wrote:http://boards.ign.com/Dragon_Ball/b5653/61605827/?53

Sometimes I still like to have fun with the kids.
Dear God Almighty...

Well, at least you're knocking some sense into 'em... one way or another... :?

It might be helpful to mention that there isn't really such a thing as casual "expletives" in Japanese (that is, "this fucking thing" or "shut the fuck up"). While you can say things that are either emotionally-charged or extremely inappropriate for the situation (which would likely be interpreted with cruder, "swear"-like words), the Japanese don't have "cursing" per se. Rather, it's simply being rude / displaying a certain emotion forcefully.

That's why you have translators having Goku say things like "shut the fuck up." It's because they can (and being emotionally immature, they think it's cool to do it). While it's not completely incorrect, it's certainly inappropriate and unnecessary (although Anime Labs certainly knew where to throw it in even where you couldn't really bend it to make them swear). Just "shut up" would have sufficed in that SSJ4 Goku pic. [Note: Anyone who could send me or EX a screencap of the Daimao-subtitled SSJ4 Goku line, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :) ]

As for the blood / humor... the Japanese are simultaneously more mature and more immature than Americans. While they handle violence much, much better than us (probably because there is relatively little actual violent crime there), they also relish sophomoric bathroom and sexual humor.

Addendum: And lastly, you should probably remind them that a "child" is anyone under 18 (20 is the age of majority over there, if I remember correctly). Although DBZ was almost certainly aimed at more of a 10-years-to-early-adolescent age group, the posters on the board don't seem to be considering the fact that they're still children (and therefore fall completely inside the DBZ demographic).

I know you already know most of this; I'm just adding in more info for your next battle, is all. :)
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:12 pm

Mizugi wrote:What's "consored?"
http://www.cars-on-line.com/95concord2690.html

Obviously, this is what he meant.

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Mizugi wrote:What's "consored?"
http://www.cars-on-line.com/95concord2690.html

Obviously, this is what he meant.
Bah, doesn't you speak Portuguese?

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:21 pm

Hah.

This sort of thing cracks me up. I don't think it's that he's a stubborn asshole so much as he's just far too stupid to understand what you say. The argument was over by your second post for anyone with something resembling a brain, your first post for anyone with a complete brain.

And yes. He obviously meant Concord.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:13 pm

Is that true Ex? You're running a DB website and you've never seen a single episode? :shock: I can't believe you weren't honest with us this whole time! I feel so betrayed and hurt!!! :cry: :wink: That was a great read! Notice how that SlmShady guy tried to change the subject by criticising you EX about your chosen username so as to veer away from the fact that you were quickly proving that he was wrong. And good reinforcing arguments from you there at the end "Sally". :lol:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:40 pm

Hee! That's great... I dunno where you get your patience EX... I wouldn't be able to put up with that for more than 5 seconds.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:26 pm

I commend Veg EX's ability to handle these forum brats, I know what its like lol

Trying to counter Beyonder Z at Anime Nation is like...crazeeeee!

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:25 am

oh dear lord

DBZ IS 4 ADULTS LOLOL!!ONEONEONE

god I really am sick of these morons.

DBZ is for kids in the same way that Harry Potter (and that matter Lord of the Rings) is for kids. Yes theres mature constructs and into them and lots of things that adults will enjopy but the aimed market is children - but there are things adults may enjoy to so they'll actually be able to watch it with their kids. But that doesnt mean its for adults.

Saying DBZ is for adults would be like running around saying Harry Potter or X Men, or Spiderman, or Lord of the Rings is for adults.
-Laserkid

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:18 am

laserkid wrote:Lord of the Rings.
aaaactually I kinda have to disagree with you there. The Hobbit was, in a way, but Lord of the Rings was made moreso because of Tolkiens dissapointment with actual English Mythology, so he created his own. The movies, though they can appeal to children and what not, and not Child specific. The films/books encompass a wide array of groups.

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:15 am

aaaactually I kinda have to disagree with you there. The Hobbit was, in a way, but Lord of the Rings was made moreso because of Tolkiens dissapointment with actual English Mythology, so he created his own. The movies, though they can appeal to children and what not, and not Child specific. The films/books encompass a wide array of groups.
I agree with Tablet. LOTR really does seem more adult than children rated to me... I think children would have a really hard time appreciating such a dense mytholoy as that... plus, I have not run into a single child LOTR fan... who didn't run up to my face and scream "I'M ARAGORN!" or something similar. Most fans I know are late teens and adults. My Dad, who is 47, keeps his golden cube of the four books (Hobbit included) in a display unopenable case... while he has another set for reading.

That's devotion there.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:57 pm

I guess you aren't aware that he wrote those stories for his children :P

and I was a LOTR fan when I was in 6th grade so there :P
-Laserkid

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:04 pm

laserkid wrote:I guess you aren't aware that he wrote those stories for his children :P
I thought that was just the Hobbit. Which I've had for years and STILL haven't read. :oops:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:13 pm

I remember hearing/reading that Tolkien wrote The Hobbit fo his kids, but I also remember reading about this long drawn out process with his publisher about getting LOTR out there... Tolkien wanted the whole trilogy to be one book. ... Obviously, that would overwhelm buyers, so he split it up into three. It seems the main goal was for public consumption there, unlike The Hobbit.

And even if all four stories were for children, at the very least you could argue that children today can't appreciate the mythology. They may like it, but not, you know... GET it. Or something.

Aaaaaaaaaand we're off-topic.