Is it true that Toriyama hated working on Dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jermyn

Is it true that Toriyama hated working on Dragonball?

Post by Jermyn » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:06 pm

Is it true that Toriyama hated working on Dragonball? Because I heard rumors say that Toriyama originally planned for it to be short manga but kept going because it was popular and that over time he got sick of doing it.
Last edited by Jermyn on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:14 pm

I think that was pretty obvious by about the end of the Cell saga, as he was out of ideas. Which lead to the embarrassingly bad Buu saga, which was just rehashes of previous ideas.

And it's pretty well known he wanted to end it at the end of each "saga." Freeza, Cell, 1/2 of the way through Buu...

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:27 pm

Why the bashing of the Buu saga? Yeah, it was kind of a non sequitur from the rest of the story up till then, but it was still really good.

And "growing tired of," or, "running out of ideas for" doesn't necessarily translate to "hate."
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:44 pm

The Buu saga was so fucking random. It's like Toriyama wanted to do 100 different things and kept saying "ah nevermind". Yeah he was getting very tired of "deadline hell" so he was glad to end it ASAP.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:58 pm

Yet I, personally, wouldn't change a thing about it, much less get rid of it. I don't think I'd have been as much of a fan of DBZ as I am without SSj3 Goku, Ultimate Gohan, Gotenks, or the fight with Kid Buu.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:14 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:Yet I, personally, wouldn't change a thing about it, much less get rid of it. I don't think I'd have been as much of a fan of DBZ as I am without SSj3 Goku, Ultimate Gohan, Gotenks, or the fight with Kid Buu.

I have to agree. I actually found it a refreshing change of pace from the Cell episodes. I've always enjoyed Gohan's whole "Great Saiyaman" thing--and the other characters various reactions to it--along with the mini-semi-filler-arc where Goku and Vegeta are traveling inside Buu.

And the fusions! I thought that was an incredible idea. And one thing I haven't seen anywhere else.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:21 am

He had been working on it for roughly a decade hadn't he? That kind of thing, can really wear anyone down; not just mentally, but physically also. You realize as a manga artist in a project like that, it meant he was drawing and inking stuff almost 24/7 right? His free time must have been very.. scarce to say the least. It's not like western comics, where there is one guy who just writes the story, one guy who just pencils the artwork, one guy who inks it, ect ect. It was pretty much Toriyama and his editor against the world.

As far as "rumors" of him hating it go, I cannot validate any of those, it's the same as rumors about "fanboys sent death threats to him if he didn't make Goku the hero", I really don't believe in those rumors personally...

The thing we do know is that he had been working on the manga for a very long time with no real breaks to speak of, and when the chance came up for him to stop, he leapt at the chance.

I also agree with your setiment, SSj Kaboom. I don't disslike the Buu saga, I rather enjoyed it, and the character Buu himself is one of my favorite in the entire Dragonball Story. As for the writing, it's only so "bad" if you think too deeply about it, which exposes plotholes in ALL the major "sagas" in my opinion.

As for the artwork itself, Toriyama-sensei certainly didn't dissapoint in the Buu saga, it's some of his best work in Dragonball if you ask me. The character designs are all top notch. "Fat Buu" is like the best character ever (sans Freeza).

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:32 am

I think he just got tired of writing it after a decade.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:38 am

Chuquita wrote:And the fusions! I thought that was an incredible idea. And one thing I haven't seen anywhere else.
'Cept for Bo-Bobo, of course. But... y'know. ^_^

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:42 am

One thing I've always wondered is how much of a pull, if any, did Toei have in him continuing the manga? Its obvious they wanted to milk it for all it's worth, GT being a prime example.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:55 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Chuquita wrote:And the fusions! I thought that was an incredible idea. And one thing I haven't seen anywhere else.
'Cept for Bo-Bobo, of course. But... y'know. ^_^

Ack! How could I have forgotten about Bo-Bobo! ^_^;;
They even did the whole candy ball thing (Buu changing Vejitto into coffee-candy) too when they fused.

It's because I haven't seen it in a while, that's why.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:03 am

I liked the Buu Saga as well, it. Super Saiyan 3, fusions, Kid Buu, and the little Eulogy Vegeta gave to Goku during the final fight. It was a good saga overall. :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

eienmic
Not-So-Newbie

Post by eienmic » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:04 am

I totally agree with the whole "trying to do too much" idea. I mean in each of the other sagas, there was only one SUPER power up.

In the Vegeta Saga, we saw the Kaiohken. In Freeza, we saw the SSJ from at last. In the Cell saga, we had Gohan reaching SSJ2. But crap, in the Boo saga we have SSJ3 (freakin' two of them, Goku & Gotenks!), fusion (two of those as well, Vegetto and Gotenks), and mightiest/awakened (Gohan).

They each also get their moment in the sun before being pushed to the side for something else. How many times can the story seemingly "peak"?

In terms of the art, I think it did take a dip in terms of quality. Everything got too sharp, too goofy, and too quick. I personally think the art from the Cell saga really captured the energy of Dragon Ball.
http://eienmic.deviantart.com/

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:55 am

I think that was pretty obvious by about the end of the Cell saga, as he was out of ideas. Which lead to the embarrassingly bad Buu saga, which was just rehashes of previous ideas.
Buu saga was awesome. I don't know what you are on.

I would trade three of my great ideas for one of Toriyama's.

Shin Moonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shin Moonwalker » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:31 am

Victator Supreme wrote:Buu saga was awesome.
It's my personnal favorite ;) (Manga version).

backthen
Beyond Newbie

Post by backthen » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:46 am

if he did get tired, why would he contribute to the new dragon ball online?

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:48 am

They paid him money.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:03 am

I totally agree with the whole "trying to do too much" idea. I mean in each of the other sagas, there was only one SUPER power up.

In the Vegeta Saga, we saw the Kaiohken. In Freeza, we saw the SSJ from at last. In the Cell saga, we had Gohan reaching SSJ2. But crap, in the Boo saga we have SSJ3 (freakin' two of them, Goku & Gotenks!), fusion (two of those as well, Vegetto and Gotenks), and mightiest/awakened (Gohan).
Someone seems to have selective memory. In the Saiya-jin Saga we had "Whoa, massive power increases!" between Raditz and the arrival of Nappa and Vegeta. We also had Gohan's angry power bursts appearing for the first time. And then the Kaio Ken

For Namek/Freeza we had the Guru Power ups, "Whoa, more massive power increases!", Namekian fusion, and Super Saiya-jin. With the Androids/Cell we had "EVEN MORE massive power increases!", another Namekian fusion, SSJU, SSJU2, and then SSJ2.

For Buu we had SSJ3, Fusion, and the Elder Kaioshin's power up. Which is exactly the same as what we had in the previous sagas in the end. And actually, it's less than the number of "super" power increases than we saw during the Androids and Cell.
if he did get tired, why would he contribute to the new dragon ball online?
Same reason he did the Neko Majin Z manga's. He can just do a little bit here or there with it but doesn't have to get overly involved with it or deal with that hectic schedule. I think I read somewhere that he had more against the schedule and the deadlines than against the manga.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:12 pm

I don't think he hated something that made him famous and something that got him money. He was creating history. Now yeah, he was continuing to work after he intended to end the series, but that doesn't mean he hated working on it. Just burned out and maybe frustrated. That's why he said he liked to just sit back and watch GT.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:59 pm

backthen wrote:if he did get tired, why would he contribute to the new dragon ball online?
Give yourself an 11 year break from work and see if you're refreshed or not. :lol:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co