Toei Joins the Blu-ray Camp!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Toei Joins the Blu-ray Camp!

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:57 pm

This is from Bluray.com:

Blu-ray news

Toei Plans Blu-ray Release

Posted November 21, 2007 by Josh

Blu-ray Movies Toei International has announced that they are planning to release 'Clannad' for Blu-ray on March 7th in Japan. This will be the first Blu-ray release for the studio, and adds yet another strong content provider to the Japanese Blu-ray market. The release will make use of a new HD master which is said to have a "beautiful image which cannot be reproduced with DVD".

Source: AV Watch (Japan) | Permalink

Looks like Toei has jumped on the Blu-ray side! Maybe in the future we can expect some HD Dragonball!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:19 pm

If that's the case, good thing I didn't buy the Dragonbox singles.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:09 pm

There are going to be Dragon Ball "Remastered" sets...so umm...yeah. As for the Japanese ones, I don't know.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:19 pm

Erm... TheGreatness, these are (or, um, would be) a Japanese release.

*Sigh* And here I was getting ready to support HD DVD...
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:29 pm

I'm not quick to jump aboard Blu-Ray or HDDVD. Give it a year or 2 and it'll be a better decision.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:31 pm

Hao_Kaiser wrote:Erm... TheGreatness, these are (or, um, would be) a Japanese release.

*Sigh* And here I was getting ready to support HD DVD...
Why? To me, HD DVD offers nothing better than Blu-ray, and I honestly don't see the same support coming there way. Plus, with (retracted, granted) warnings of Warner monitoring sales and possibly going Blu exclusive, HD DVD might be falling sooner than later.

That said, w00t for Toei. I will keep my eyes open in case they do a DragonBall/Z/GT Blu-ray release...in 6 or so years, like they waited for with DVD ;p

-Corey

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:06 am

Well I don't know about Blu-Ray, but HDDVD offers 7.1. I have a Blu-Ray player anyway (PS3).

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:35 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Well I don't know about Blu-Ray, but HDDVD offers 7.1. I have a Blu-Ray player anyway (PS3).
Yeah... And so does Blu-ray... If you don't believe me check into the specs for Pan's Labyrinth.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:47 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Well I don't know about Blu-Ray, but HDDVD offers 7.1. I have a Blu-Ray player anyway (PS3).
Well, 7.1 is available via the Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD and Dolby Digital True HD codecs, which Blu-ray and HD DVD both support. I honestly think both Blu-ray and HD DVD support all the same codecs, it's just that Blu-ray offers greater bandwith and storage space, mandatory hard-coating of the discs (which is awesome, IMHO) and has more support at this point in time.

Plus, it's been admitted by Microsoft themselves that they back HD DVD with the stance that they don't want a Hi Def disc format to succeed, as they'd rather have the proliferation of direct digital downloads occur. Also, while Paramount tried to state that HD DVD gave them plenty of room to do whatever they would need to make the best product, their recent omission of lossless soundtracks (plus Steven Spielberg rejecting their proclamation and having them tack on an "except Steven's movies" disclaimer to their exclusivity announcement) makes me think they made a mistake.

We'll see though, no? So far, I'm Blu and happy (though, I think HD DVD's announcement that they're doing 51GB triple layer discs that are gonna be a legacy nightmare is a poor attempt to contest the 100GB and 200GB Blu-ray discs that can apparently be read by current machines and will soon be approved no doubt).

-Corey

Tamagon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tamagon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:10 am

Five bucks says we'll get re-remastered editions.

With more blur.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:43 am

Five bucks says you're 100% right if you're talking about the US versions of the "Remastered" Dragon Ball series. On zstore.com they took off every Dragon Ball release. The answer to my question (when I asked them) why is because they're working on new versions of it.

EricM
Beyond Newbie

Post by EricM » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:08 am

It would be kinda cool if they would do HD and SD releases on Blu-ray. For the SD release they would put 50 episodes on each disc!

Actually HD is pretty pointless for this show if SD is done right. If they can get the SD version to look uncompressed with zero Edge enhancement and compression noise, and lossless audio, I could live without a HD version, for convenience's sake.

EricM
Beyond Newbie

Post by EricM » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:09 am

Tamagon wrote:Five bucks says we'll get re-remastered editions.

With more blur.
Why would Toei use Funimation's crap transfers? They have the superior masters.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:35 am

People, please...

Just keep in mind we're not talking about FUNimation here... This is all about Toei, and their Japanese releases. Toei is responsible for the DragonBoxes, so the fact that they jumped onto the Blu-ray camp is big news because we might be getting HD DragonBox sets.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:02 pm

EricM wrote:Actually HD is pretty pointless for this show if SD is done right. If they can get the SD version to look uncompressed with zero Edge enhancement and compression noise, and lossless audio, I could live without a HD version, for convenience's sake.
Eh, I disagree. While 16mm film is grainy by nature, having it natively at 1080p on an HD display will present a better picture because there is no need to upscale to a higher resolution. Plus, the superior codecs supported by Blu-ray (when used properly) virtually eliminate the chances of macroblocking and other defects found on DVD's.

That said, I wouldn't expect Toei to announce any DragonBall HD releases until 2010 or later. And I'm cool with that, I have bills to pay ;p

-Corey

nwoo_2002
Beyond Newbie

Post by nwoo_2002 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:19 pm

But would a true remaster of Dragon Ball be possible? Surely they'd have to do so much to the masters that it would result in a 'Funimation Remaster'. Also if a set is released in say 2013, will the demand be there as it is now? I'm sure if a One Piece Blu-Ray set came out at the same time or after as a Dragon Ball one, I doubt it would do nearly as well (I'm assuming at this point One Piece will be completed).

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:20 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:People, please...

Just keep in mind we're not talking about FUNimation here... This is all about Toei, and their Japanese releases. Toei is responsible for the DragonBoxes, so the fact that they jumped onto the Blu-ray camp is big news because we might be getting HD DragonBox sets.
This is also big because as far as Blu-Ray goes, North America and Japan are in the same region. This means us fans here would be able to import these and play them on our players without any modification what so ever! :o

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:53 pm

nwoo_2002 wrote:But would a true remaster of Dragon Ball be possible? Surely they'd have to do so much to the masters that it would result in a 'Funimation Remaster'.
Do what exactly? I doubt that they will butcher it to 16:9 like Funimation has done.

And Blu-ray, WTF? BD+ anyone?

nwoo_2002
Beyond Newbie

Post by nwoo_2002 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:36 pm

SatoSky wrote:
nwoo_2002 wrote:But would a true remaster of Dragon Ball be possible? Surely they'd have to do so much to the masters that it would result in a 'Funimation Remaster'.
Do what exactly?
I was thinking in terms of grain removal.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:42 pm

Pillar-boxing. It works wonders. And aside from that, I'm pretty certain other materials that were done on 16mm have been released, so...yeah. They really wouldn't have to butcher anything.
Also if a set is released in say 2013, will the demand be there as it is now?
The show ended in Japan over a decade ago, so I'd say yes. The DVD's are selling now, and I'm sure the market will be there 6 years from now.

-Corey