Release dates for VIZBIG stuff.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Release dates for VIZBIG stuff.

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:48 pm

http://www.simonsays.com/content/ene/se ... G&Dn=23424

If the art is left unedited then I'll seriously purchase these puppies (considering I don't own everyone of the original two-three releases).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:59 pm

"Ages: 8 and up"

That can't be good.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:00 pm

"Ages: 8 and up"
Thats odd... Rightstuf says 13+ and has a release date of May 6th.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827 ... /4/3252/48

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:48 pm

Well, Viz started using Japanese technique names in the Naruto manga as well as putting less "Believe it!" in the Naruto anime when fans reacted harshly to the lack of Japanese technique names and the use of "Believe it!" and Viz is still in the first run of Naruto in both forms!

So, hopefully that means some of the stuff that fans reacted harshly about like D'jinn and Vegerot will be fixed in these new releases.

Uncensored? I don't think it'll happen. Stupid things being fixed? I can hope.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:48 pm

From rightstuf,

"This VIZBIG edition of Dragon Ball contains volumes 1-3 of the series, bonus color content and updated text."

This intrigues me but I wish ViZ wasn't so hush hush about this.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:07 pm

Well, we can hope.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:39 pm

Damn, May and August is sure a long time away. I'm hoping for uncut dialogue, picture and colour images, but at the same time, I'll be playing Smash Bros by May :D

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:48 am

Kendamu wrote:Well, Viz started using Japanese technique names in the Naruto manga as well as putting less "Believe it!" in the Naruto anime when fans reacted harshly to the lack of Japanese technique names and the use of "Believe it!" and Viz is still in the first run of Naruto in both forms!
Some of us actually liked that catchphrase and are mad at the ones who complained about it. No one got on Media Blasters for "That it Is", though I have a theory on why no one did that.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:57 am

Super Sonic wrote: No one got on Media Blasters for "That it Is", though I have a theory on why no one did that.
Some people did get upset, however "Believe it!" is very stupid in comparison to Kenshin saying, "That ____ _____" because they're is no equivalent to it in Japanese, where as Kenshin ended his sentences "de gozariou"(sp?). To capture that Media Blasters translated it to, "That ___ _____" However ViZ's "Believe it!" is just a thrown in catchphrase rather than something they tried to legitimately tried to translate. I don't watch Naruto but that was one of the many aspects that really annoyed me about the English dub on that show.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:15 am

Vekurotto wrote:Kenshin ended his sentences "de gozariou"(sp?).
"De gozaru" is simply the archaic, "samurai-language" variant of "desu". It's not something you really CAN translate.
The Final Fantasy 6 translation simply had Cayenne, who spoke similiarly in the original, speak archaic, Arthurian English, which kind of worked (at least it would've had the translation been consistant about how he spoke).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:21 am

I'd assume Naruto's "dattebayo" is equally meaningless?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:29 am

I know the English manga has ignored it since its beginning, same like they did with Kenshin's de gozaru. So it's a possibility. Inner Sakura and Shikamaru's catchphrases were always kept though.

Back on topic, kind of nice with the bigger books of DB as that's my preference, but already bought most of them, so maybe I'll get Buu saga when it comes out as that's the only part of the manga I never got around to buying.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:49 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:I'd assume Naruto's "dattebayo" is equally meaningless?
It's not meaningless (though it really should be spelled "datte ba yo"), but it's just as impossible to translate. "Believe it" honestly isn't THAT bad an attempt at bringing it into English, but the majority of rabid Naruto fans out there don't seem to really know a whole lot of Japanese, and thus demand everything be similiar to their fansubs.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:53 am

Super Sonic wrote:
Kendamu wrote:Well, Viz started using Japanese technique names in the Naruto manga as well as putting less "Believe it!" in the Naruto anime when fans reacted harshly to the lack of Japanese technique names and the use of "Believe it!" and Viz is still in the first run of Naruto in both forms!
Some of us actually liked that catchphrase and are mad at the ones who complained about it. No one got on Media Blasters for "That it Is", though I have a theory on why no one did that.
Apparently the majority won out on "Believe it!" though. I have a "Believe it!" shirt. I wear it simply to piss off people who hate the phrase. I've never run into anybody who wore it and went "Cool shirt!" or anything like that. Usually people get pissed at me for it... which is the point.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:56 am

I don't know maybe. I simply just had more of a problem with "Believe it!" being spewed every time that kid opened his mouth more than anything that I've ever encountered catchphrase wise to be honest.

The release dates for these shouldn't be as far apart as for all I'm concerned. Even if these are good I'll probably die from insanity waiting for all of the manga to be released this way. Especially when I could just get the current ones even with the stupid stuff in it. I mean at least it's complete (technically speaking).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:10 am

Vekurotto wrote:
I don't know maybe. I simply just had more of a problem with "Believe it!" being spewed every time that kid opened his mouth more than anything that I've ever encountered catchphrase wise to be honest.
Same here. I figured it was an okay substitute for whatever "Dattebayo" meant, but it's overuse was the problem. Although, that probably wasn't Viz's fault. From what I've seen of the Japanese anime, Naruto does end pretty much every other sentence with it.

So, uh... Yeah. VIZ BIG DragonBall. All I have are "DBZ" volumes 20 and 26, and none of "DB," so these will be a great way for me to start really collecting the manga.

So according to the news, The first one comes out in May, then again in August... then in September? That seems a pretty erratic release schedule...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:30 am

Hey, OP. Edit the damn link so it doesn't rape the tables.

Anyways, I doubt I'll spring for these unless they're really awesome, since I've already got the whole manga set.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:39 am

Adamant wrote:
It's not meaningless (though it really should be spelled "datte ba yo"), but it's just as impossible to translate. "Believe it" honestly isn't THAT bad an attempt at bringing it into English, but the majority of rabid Naruto fans out there don't seem to really know a whole lot of Japanese, and thus demand everything be similiar to their fansubs.
Yeah, I've encountered guys who got on me for saying "1000 years of Death" instead of "1000 years of pain", even though the English manga, dub and official Viz subs say "Death".

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:32 am

Personally, I think something like "y'know" would have been a better alternative for replacing "dattebayo" than "Believe it!".

"Hey, I'm Naruto Uzumaki, and I'm gonna be Hokage y'know! My favourite things include ramen... Y'know, the kind they sell in a cup? Oh, and I'm totally in love with Sakura Haruno y'know!" >_>

Aaaand oh right, Dragonball... Well, I've already got the manga upto the end of the Ma Junior arc, however, I haven't got any of the Raditz stuff onwards, so I might start with the DBZ BIG releases, and if I like it enough maybe I'll go back for DB.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:08 am

More chapters, improved text and colour pages sound pretty good, but what I'd really like is for them to be unedited.

I can't see why VIZ would go to all this trouble and still leave the edits in.