Dragonball Z Uncut in its entirety?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pledge

Dragonball Z Uncut in its entirety?

Post by pledge » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:45 pm

If you arent really into the new season box sets, and you cant speak jap so the dragon boxes arent for you, is there anyway to get the entire series uncut with jap dialog and english subs? i remember a few years ago funi released some uncut box sets, but did that cover the entire series, and were they completely uncut? what are my options...

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragonball Z Uncut in its entirety?

Post by the original ero-sennin » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:05 pm

pledge wrote:If you arent really into the new season box sets, and you cant speak jap so the dragon boxes arent for you, is there anyway to get the entire series uncut with jap dialog and english subs? i remember a few years ago funi released some uncut box sets, but did that cover the entire series, and were they completely uncut? what are my options...
I hate to break it to you... but there is no consistent uncut release of DragonBall Z here in the United States. However, you can get the vast majority of the series (from the Freeza Arc onward, I believe) in those box-sets you mentioned. And yes, I believe they are completely uncut (the video that is, the dubbed dialogue is still edited). And I'd say your best bet is to get all of these box-sets that you can. And then try to fill in the rest as you can. I would first like to strongly discourage any bootlegging. It may seem like a cool deal at the time, but trust me, you'll forever regret sinking even one penny into a bootleg . I hope this information was helpful. Good Luck. :wink:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:22 pm

Please don't use "jap" as a shorthand for "Japanese". "jap" is a racist term, which presumably wasn't the effect you were going for.

And, yeah, there is no single consistent American release of Dragon Ball Z. If you stick to American releases and want both English and Japanese dialouge, you'll have to content yourself with getting only the last 2/3 or so of the series or getting the Season Sets. If you want to get the old boxsets, I'd advise you to buy them as soon as you can, since some of them are getting increasingly hard to find.

pledge

Re: Dragonball Z Uncut in its entirety?

Post by pledge » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:00 am

the original ero-sennin wrote:
pledge wrote:If you arent really into the new season box sets, and you cant speak jap so the dragon boxes arent for you, is there anyway to get the entire series uncut with jap dialog and english subs? i remember a few years ago funi released some uncut box sets, but did that cover the entire series, and were they completely uncut? what are my options...
I hate to break it to you... but there is no consistent uncut release of DragonBall Z here in the United States. However, you can get the vast majority of the series (from the Freeza Arc onward, I believe) in those box-sets you mentioned. And yes, I believe they are completely uncut (the video that is, the dubbed dialogue is still edited). And I'd say your best bet is to get all of these box-sets that you can. And then try to fill in the rest as you can. I would first like to strongly discourage any bootlegging. It may seem like a cool deal at the time, but trust me, you'll forever regret sinking even one penny into a bootleg . I hope this information was helpful. Good Luck. :wink:
thanks, do you know what episodes those original uncut box sets missed out on?

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:05 am

I just think it's hilarious that out of the three series, Dragon Ball GT is the only one that has had a proper uncut, fullscreen release with selectable japanese language tracks and accurate Steve Simmons subtitles.

:?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:50 am

Slickmasterfunk wrote:I just think it's hilarious that out of the three series, Dragon Ball GT is the only one that has had a proper uncut, fullscreen release with selectable japanese language tracks and accurate Steve Simmons subtitles.

:?
Tell me about it, if GT was as convoluted purchase-wise as Z is, I wouldn't bother getting it.

You Americans have it better, we get dual audio consistantly at the end of the Great Saiyaman arc :cry:

After buying the 3 Buu boxes, apart from the odd single here and there in the cell/androids saga, that is all of the dual language releases (not counting the movies, season sets and UUE's) you can get here in Australia.

Though I did get the last Z box for cheap today (Merry Christmas to me!)

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:46 pm

Herms wrote:Please don't use "jap" as a shorthand for "Japanese". "jap" is a racist term, which presumably wasn't the effect you were going for.

And, yeah, there is no single consistent American release of Dragon Ball Z. If you stick to American releases and want both English and Japanese dialouge, you'll have to content yourself with getting only the last 2/3 or so of the series or getting the Season Sets. If you want to get the old boxsets, I'd advise you to buy them as soon as you can, since some of them are getting increasingly hard to find.
Actually it's not racist, when you shorten the nationality like that (Brit, Scott, Pole) it's not really offensive, maybe if you called a German a germ or something.

Now Nip is racist.

Funimation did release all of Dragonball uncut and fullscreen in Australia, except for the Blood Rubies movie.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:09 pm

The video and dialog is uncut. They call Mr. Satan by his proper name and whatnot. They just didn't use "curses" until they went back and did Ultimate Uncut. You can get the entire series on DVD besides the remaining Vegeta Saga until the Captain Ginyu Saga, meaning no Namek Saga. I guess if enough people make them put their asses to it, they could release the rest of Ultimate Uncut? I doubt it. That's the only one they screwed people over with.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:10 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Funimation did release all of Dragonball uncut and fullscreen in Australia, except for the Blood Rubies movie.
Well, technically, that was Madman, but yeah, Australia has all of Dragonball uncut and subbed. (Though, aparently there's ONE episode that only has dubtitles...)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:12 pm

Oh yeah and the first 13 episodes of DB are missing. But the way I understand it, Liongate bought them from FUNimation and didn't let them put them out on DVD. That is retarded.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:23 pm

The Time Traveller wrote: Actually it's not racist, when you shorten the nationality like that (Brit, Scott, Pole) it's not really offensive, maybe if you called a German a germ or something.
Yes it is.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:19 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Herms wrote:Please don't use "jap" as a shorthand for "Japanese". "jap" is a racist term, which presumably wasn't the effect you were going for.

Actually it's not racist, when you shorten the nationality like that (Brit, Scott, Pole) it's not really offensive, maybe if you called a German a germ or something.

Now Nip is racist.
Shortening it as such brings back bad memories to some of my friends of what their parents and grandparents went through during WWII.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:10 pm

Back on topic, there is no consistent version of Z put out by Funimation. They were doing the Ultimate Uncut Edition until the Z-fighters started to fight Vegeta and Nappa. They stopped it, for some dumb-ass reason, and put out the "Remastered" sets covering the Saiyan and Namek sagas. The Freeza saga till the end of the series was already released by Funi before the Remastered sets, so there really is no reason for them to release the rest of the series, when most of the fans own the rest of the series.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:27 pm

How do you know that most of the fans own the rest of the series? lol Maybe it was pretty expensive. That's who this set is really for. That's why it's cheap. Plus it offers the dub with original Japanese music which is growing on me.

I have all of the FUNimation DBZ, well except what they didn't release of course. I'm still going to get the rest of the "Remastered" just to have both versions of it. I mean if it was as expensive as the singles, I wouldn't dream of getting it.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:53 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:Funimation did release all of Dragonball uncut and fullscreen in Australia, except for the Blood Rubies movie.
Well, technically, that was Madman, but yeah, Australia has all of Dragonball uncut and subbed. (Though, aparently there's ONE episode that only has dubtitles...)
Yeah, if I remember correctly, it's when Goku fights the Mummy before fighting Akkuman and Grandpa Gohan.

You think thats bad?, Madman made a huge error on the Path to Power dvd's, there was a computer glitch that caused the subtitle track to only go to the half-way point in the movie, and this affected the entire first pressing of the disc, I bought my copy a month ago, and I'm still yet to get a properly working copy.

(I'm expecting my third path to power disc in the mail soon...*crosses fingers*)

pledge

Post by pledge » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:26 am

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:Back on topic, there is no consistent version of Z put out by Funimation. They were doing the Ultimate Uncut Edition until the Z-fighters started to fight Vegeta and Nappa. They stopped it, for some dumb-ass reason, and put out the "Remastered" sets covering the Saiyan and Namek sagas. The Freeza saga till the end of the series was already released by Funi before the Remastered sets, so there really is no reason for them to release the rest of the series, when most of the fans own the rest of the series.
what do the ultimate uncut edition box sets look like? could you post an image cos i cant seem to find any.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:33 am

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:35 am

There was supposed to be another volume, but it wasn't released. It was going to be the beginning of Goku and Vegeta's fight.

They really should of continued this series. There was no reason to dis-continue it. :? I would of liked to see Green-Namek covers... :cry: Or else I'm insane. :P
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:15 am

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:There was supposed to be another volume, but it wasn't released. It was going to be the beginning of Goku and Vegeta's fight.

*snip*

They really should of continued this series. There was no reason to dis-continue it. :? I would of liked to see Green-Namek covers... :cry: Or else I'm insane. :P
If the Spanish FUNimation releases continue, we'll get to see the rest of the covers.
­

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:27 am

If the Spanish ones keep getting released but the US ones don't, I'm going nuts on FUNimation.

Just a bit of curiosity, what would be the point of the Spanish release? It's not like FUNimation released any other Spanish versions except for the Ultimate Uncut. I know they have the Spanish versions on the US Ultimate Uncut DVDs, but they don't even have the subtitles for them. Way to go. Way to think that one through.