FUNimation Dub Misleading/Wrong "Facts"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperVegito17
Not-So-Newbie

FUNimation Dub Misleading/Wrong "Facts"

Post by SuperVegito17 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:00 am

Hi,

I am a funimation dub fan, but recently as I was going through the remastered dbz frieza saga, in JAPANESE I noticed something...

When Frieza just told Goku, that he would power up to his 100%, in the funimation dub version, Goku shrugs it off directly by saying "Can your body handle the power? I dont think so", without giving ANY reason whatsoever why he would go on to doubt Frieza's body's capabilities, 'cause after all, his body can withstand extreme conditions in space!

But the Japanese version gave the answer...Goku said something like this -> "Why didnt you power up all this time?". The fact that Frieza didnt power up all this time when he was being humiliated and beaten to pulp, but only does so after already attempting to destroy the planet is reason enough that Frieza's body might not handle this power.

Phew...thats big...but you got my point. Funimation missed this reason. If know of any such "missed fact" please post.

And the worst funimation mistake is in Movie 13....Goku says "Intense emotions drain it's energy"....I was embarrassed as a funi-dub fan.

Well, though I love those voices and music, I think everyone should watch the original to know DBZ best.

So add more to the missed stuff!
my latest Music Video -> http://stage6.divx.com/user/SuperVegito17/blog/

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:15 am

There were no parachutes. Tenshinhan can't spell or say his own name correctly. Taopaipai wasn't a general.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:19 am

Kendamu wrote:There were no parachutes. Tenshinhan can't spell or say his own name correctly. Taopaipai wasn't a general.
Damn! You beat me to the Tao Pai Pai thing...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:12 am

Well I know that the scene on Namek where Buruma is waiting for Gohan to get back to the ship with Goku as the planet is dying around them was changed. The dub made it out that Buruma was chickening out and was going to leave without Gohan and Goku. In the original Japanese, she does no such thing and the reason for starting the ship up is to actually have the engine warmed up and ready to go ASAP when they get back.

It may be once again a small detail to many, but in my opinion, it paints Buruma into a really selfish, cowardly, and petty person. I mean yes she had her moments of selfishness and cowardice, but to make it out that she'd ditch a 5 year-old child on an exploding planet? I think that's on a whole other level of of distasteful behaviour. And there was really no reason for the change either that I could ever see.

Also, Buruma has always been one of Goku's greatest champions. I mean she's always had complete faith in him and stuck up for him concerning his battles. So the change just goes against that key element to her character.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

JohnnyBoy_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by JohnnyBoy_Z » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:43 am

Jerseymilk wrote:Also, Buruma has always been one of Goku's greatest champions. I mean she's always had complete faith in him and stuck up for him concerning his battles.
Well said. And FUNi made her out to be a little cowardly girl, while in the Japanese version she's a little firecracker just like Chi Chi, but without any martial arts background of course.

SuperVegito17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperVegito17 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:45 am

Jerseymilk wrote:Well I know that the scene on Namek where Buruma is waiting for Gohan to get back to the ship with Goku as the planet is dying around them was changed. The dub made it out that Buruma was chickening out and was going to leave without Gohan and Goku. In the original Japanese, she does no such thing and the reason for starting the ship up is to actually have the engine warmed up and ready to go ASAP when they get back.

It may be once again a small detail to many, but in my opinion, it paints Buruma into a really selfish, cowardly, and petty person. I mean yes she had her moments of selfishness and cowardice, but to make it out that she'd ditch a 5 year-old child on an exploding planet? I think that's on a whole other level of of distasteful behaviour. And there was really no reason for the change either that I could ever see.

Also, Buruma has always been one of Goku's greatest champions. I mean she's always had complete faith in him and stuck up for him concerning his battles. So the change just goes against that key element to her character.

OMG! I never knew that. I was also pissed and surprised at Bulma for that! It was really shocking that she would do such a thing...though being left out alone for such a long time, with earthquakes, body changed etc, she may be excused, but funimation shouldn't deviate from the story like that.

And I cant see ANY reason why they would make that alteration in Movie 13.
my latest Music Video -> http://stage6.divx.com/user/SuperVegito17/blog/

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:46 am

Same goes for Yamcha, they made him a chicken when he really wasn't during the Trunks arc when approaching cyber Freeza.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:14 am

Jerseymilk wrote:In the original Japanese, she does no such thing and the reason for starting the ship up is to actually have the engine warmed up and ready to go ASAP when they get back.
Er... rockets don't have to be warmed up. Spaceships aren't cars. :?

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:12 am

Now, now, we're not talking earth-style spaceships. XD. And... systems check?

If I recall, the dub left out Trunks mentioning the numbersof the impending androids... which... actually eliminated a contradiction in the Japanese version.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:16 am

caejones wrote:Now, now, we're not talking earth-style spaceships. XD. And... systems check?

If I recall, the dub left out Trunks mentioning the numbersof the impending androids... which... actually eliminated a contradiction in the Japanese version.
The writers must be PISSED that they accidentally corrected something. Didn't someone get fired around that time?

Oh yeah, FUNImation changed a lot of stuff about the history of the RRA, and made Gero out to be the Mastermind of the RRA, which is laughable.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:25 am

Rocketman wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:In the original Japanese, she does no such thing and the reason for starting the ship up is to actually have the engine warmed up and ready to go ASAP when they get back.
Er... rockets don't have to be warmed up. Spaceships aren't cars. :?
I'm not debating whether or not it's scientifically accurate here. I'm just summing up the original dialogue. I don't remember the exact line but it was something to that effect. The point was she started the ship up to have it ready to go, *not* to just bid a "nice knowing ya!" and "good luck!" and toddle off back to Earth. If you're somehow inferring that I'm making that scene change up, then just come out and say it. Honestly Rocketman, I know you're smarter than that.-_- I'll dig out my DVD copy, with Daimao's subs and get you a screenshot. Just say the word.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 am

Jerseymilk wrote:If you're somehow inferring that I'm making that scene change up, then just come out and say it. Honestly Rocketman, I know you're smarter than that.-_- I'll dig out my DVD copy, with Daimao's subs and get you a screenshot. Just say the word.
:?:

No, I'm not inferring anything against you. I was inferring against Bulma.

"I was...warming up the engine, yeah..." <_< >_>

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:54 pm

The Dragon Ball dub screwed up a lot of things. Let's see...

In the third episode, they have Kamesennin refer to himself as "Roshi the Turtle Hermit". But originally, he was just Kamesennin in that episode (meaning Turtle Hermit, of course). The name "Mutenroushi" (which the dub parallels (poorly) with "Master Roshi") isn't introduced until the Mount Frypan episodes, when Yamcha explains that someone called Mutenroushi trained both Gohan and Gyuumaou. After that is when Gyuumaou reveals that Mutenroushi is Kamesennin, the old pervert the kids previously met on the beach. That was supposed to be an interesting plot twist, but the dub screwed it up by making that obvious all along.

In those same Frypan episodes, Gokuu and Chichi's relationship is also screwed up. Originally, she asks Gokuu to come back later to "receive a bride" (meaning her), but the dub instead has her say something like "Will you think about me?" So, 130 or so episodes later, Chichi shows up at the 23rd Budoukai, pissed at Gokuu for never coming to get her, only to find out that Gokuu thought "bride" was a kind of food. ...Except that he never made that promise in the dub, so...uh...? And then when they finally worked things out and he agreed to marry her, they really hammed up the romance in the dub, which was very uncharacteristic of Gokuu.

Aaaaand speaking of the 23rd Budoukai, the dub prematurely revealed that Kami and Piccolo were aliens, just to use "alien powers" as an explanation for Kami's divine abilities. Originally, the two of them (and the audience, if they watched the series in order) have no idea that they're from another planet until Nappa comments that Piccolo is a Namekkian.
-Rachel

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:13 pm

Funimation is always needlessly changing dialog. Like for instance, in the Goku/Vegeta fight in the Saiya-jin saga, Goku numerous times admits defeat in the original version. But not once in the original dub or Funimation redub.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:53 pm

Did we forgot the scene that shows one of Goku's main character descriptions ?
I'm talking about the scene when Kuririn was trying to kill Vegeta with the katana. In the dub Goku's like "Show him mercy, show him that we're different'' and in the Japanese version (which I like better) he's like ''I'm selfish, let me fight him again''.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:37 pm

Yeah I remember that. Just them softening things. Though they kept the selfish request in the Budokai 1 story mode.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:48 pm

Did they ever say that Kami put the moon back in the dub? Because I don't think they did. That and Freeza did not take Vegeta away as a boy, Bardock wasn't leading men to fight Freeza (they explain this in the Bardock special but ignore it in the TV series), Tullece looks like Goku because Saiyan come in a few disposable types and he ended up getting "Goku's" template, and the "Tree of Might" was meant for Gods and not the 'eternal dragon' (why they hell would some aliens from another planet know about Shenlong? And since when does Shenlong have to eat fruit?) Actually that movie dubbed is pretty damn confusing if I'd say so myself.
TripleRach wrote:Aaaaand speaking of the 23rd Budoukai, the dub prematurely revealed that Kami and Piccolo were aliens, just to use "alien powers" as an explanation for Kami's divine abilities. Originally, the two of them (and the audience, if they watched the series in order) have no idea that they're from another planet until Nappa comments that Piccolo is a Namekkian.
The dub was trying to make Dragonball into a faux prequel but in turn they just made more incontinuities. You've said things like they gave the Dog that was supposed to be the king of the world a name when he didn't originally have one and then changed it later on and then there's the Tao Pai Pai thing which people already got into.
Last edited by Vekurotto on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:49 pm

TripleRach wrote:Aaaaand speaking of the 23rd Budoukai, the dub prematurely revealed that Kami and Piccolo were aliens, just to use "alien powers" as an explanation for Kami's divine abilities. Originally, the two of them (and the audience, if they watched the series in order)
Well, that would be the problem. Nobody in the US has watched the series in order.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 pm

I don't think they really meant alien like 'extraterrestrial' in that line. Think about the edits Toonami required then - they couldn't explain that he was God and as such had divine powers probably. What alien meant there, I think, was that he had 'amazing' or 'strange' powers. Alien doesn't have to mean them already calling him a Namek.

I know, I'm defending a dub line. So sue me. :roll:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:09 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I don't think they really meant alien like 'extraterrestrial' in that line.
No he meant alien as in from another planet in the dub.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Think about the edits Toonami required then - they couldn't explain that he was God and as such had divine powers probably.
OK. Why didn't they change it back for the Uncut releases if that was the problem? They did it for Mr. Satan. Why should they be afraid to call him 'God' despite they call him that anyway?
Gyt Kaliba wrote:I know, I'm defending a dub line. So sue me. :roll:
That's alright it was a good try though.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]