What do you think Goku was referring to?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

What do you think Goku was referring to?

Post by FindKenshi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:41 am

Ok, this is a question of opinion, rather then fact--but recently this popped up between myself, and a few fans.

During the battle between Gohan and Dabura, Gohan is knocked into a lake, and Goku then makes the comment: "So he uses magic, huh?" This is a very simple question, here. And, like I said, it's a matter of opinion. What do you think Goku was referring to?

For years, and years, I thought he was referring to the after image Dabura had left behind, which had tricked Gohan. Although we have seen After Images used in similar ways before, it was always how long Dabura's hung around that made me think of it more as a "magical projection", rather then just a regular zanzoken type maneuver. I mean, in the panel when Dabura is floating behind Gohan, getting ready to shoot the fireball at him, you can see that the image of Dabura is still there, floating right next to Gohan.

I even had the nerve to think that this is what pretty much everybody else thought that Goku was referring to, also. But now, on another DB board, we are debating over what Goku was referring to, and a lot of people seem to think it was the fireball that Dabura shot Gohan with.

Their reasons for this are:
1. It didn't look like any ki blast we've ever seen before (it has a weird dark shape in the center)
2. Goku's comment about "So this is magic, huh?" comes RIGHT after this attack hit Gohan.
3. ... I forget if there was a third reason...

Anyway, what do you think Goku was referring to, or do you think he was just referring to Dabura in general, like the way he fights, period. Or maybe even his flame breath?

I've always thought it was the illusion... Curious to hear what others think. I want a wide array of opinions.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:28 am

I thought he just meant it as in "so this is the power of magic" type of way. Not necessarily any specific technique, but more Dabra's power, and the source of said power, in general.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:24 am

Dabra's afterimage thing is called zanzou majutsu ('afterimage magic') in the daizenshuu, as opposed to the regular afterimage attack, which is zanzou ken. This would indicate that it is based on magic, and more than likely is what Goku was referring to.

edit: There's also that thing where Dabra pulls a sword out of nowhere, but I can't remember if that happened before or after Goku made the remark about magic.

Alice
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Alice » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:51 pm

I always understood it to be the flame breath and the fireball, the flame breath stood out to me most of all. I didn't notice the after image so much at first but, yes, does seem different. So, now I would guess that's it's all three equally and Goku was referring to the difference in the way he fights in general from other enemies.

Pulling the sword out from nowhere happened after he made that remark.
[size=75]"If television's a babysitter, the internet's a drunk librarian who won't shut up."[/size]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:59 pm

Didn't Vegeta throw fireballs back in the Saiyan Saga?

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Er, I never looked into it much but I'm assuming it was based off of the energy Goku felt or something :? If anything, maybe there was a DragonBall throwback or something seeing how in DragonBall it was more "magical" compared to Z :P
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Herms wrote:Dabra's afterimage thing is called zanzou majutsu ('afterimage magic') in the daizenshuu, as opposed to the regular afterimage attack, which is zanzou ken. This would indicate that it is based on magic, and more than likely is what Goku was referring to.

edit: There's also that thing where Dabra pulls a sword out of nowhere, but I can't remember if that happened before or after Goku made the remark about magic.
The sword came after Goku made the comment.
Thank you for this powerful reply, anyway. I'll certainly use it well on the other board. :twisted: I win.