I think its safe to say Naruto is now at DBZ level in the US

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

I think its safe to say Naruto is now at DBZ level in the US

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:12 pm

In the US, DBZ was at the height of its popularity from 2001-2003. I think its safe to say Naruto is officially at that level. My reasonings?

-Multiple airings on CN and good ratings for them
-Viz speeding up the manga releases and the manga volumes being on the top of the GN book sales

What does everyone think?

Remember this ISNT A NARUTO DISCUSSION thread, please try to stay on topic.

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:16 pm

I don't live in the U.S but Naruto is probably at the level DBZ`was. When i go to any anime expos, every second person is wearing a Naruto headband.
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:25 pm

The one thing its missing is advertisements. I remember there used to be advertisements for dbz toys and merchandise all over the place back in the day; not to mention the guys at my high school who used to wear the t-shirts.

The only place I ever seen Naruto toys is Borders.

I've tried my hardest but I still can't get into it; some of my friends are in love with it and DA is stuffed to the brim with fanart for it.

Naruto just doesn't do it for me. :(
Whatever's supposed to click with it doesn't work with me, but I support my friends same as I did back when they were into dbz. :3

Now One Piece on the other hand....I love One Piece. :mrgreen: But that's a whole 'nother story.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:50 pm

I disagree. It's popular, but I just don't get that same sense from the general public that I got when DBZ and Pokemon first came out. Maybe that's just me though. It was everywhere as Chuquita said. I don't see that with Naruto. Certainly not to the same degree as DBZ.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:51 pm

Nah I'd say it's more at Yu-Gi-Oh level now.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:55 pm

So DBZ was at the height of its popularity just after the Trunks-Cell storyline, or in other words, for the entire run of the Buu Saga (fall of 2001-spring of 2003). I haven't been keeping up with Naruto, but are they almost done with dubbing and airing the original series? That would place Naruto at the same place as DBZ was.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: I think its safe to say Naruto is now at DBZ level in th

Post by Herms » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:58 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:-Viz speeding up the manga releases and the manga volumes being on the top of the GN book sales
That would actually indicate that it's more popular than Dragon Ball was, at least as far as manga goes. Lord knows Viz never sped up the rate at which they releashed their Dragon Ball GNs (they only finished in 2006, for crying out loud!). Which is interesting to think about. In America, Dragon Ball was only popular as an anime, not so much as a manga, while Naruto is currently very popular as both. Is this because manga has caught up to anime in terms of popularity, or what?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: I think its safe to say Naruto is now at DBZ level in th

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:01 pm

Herms wrote:
Sun_Wukong wrote:-Viz speeding up the manga releases and the manga volumes being on the top of the GN book sales
That would actually indicate that it's more popular than Dragon Ball was, at least as far as manga goes. Lord knows Viz never sped up the rate at which they releashed their Dragon Ball GNs (they only finished in 2006, for crying out loud!). Which is interesting to think about. In America, Dragon Ball was only popular as an anime, not so much as a manga, while Naruto is currently very popular as both. Is this because manga has caught up to anime in terms of popularity, or what?

I think its because unlike with Dragon Ball, Viz has full control over everything Naruto. They have the license to the manga and anime while with DB, they only had the manga. A good chunk of DB sales went to Funimation. So people could see their ads and go "huh, maybe I should check that series out, but I'd rather watch it instead of read" and there goes another customer buying their product from a different company.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:14 pm

Naruto is popular in America, but it is in no way near the level that DBZ was. The merchandising (toys, apparel, etc.) is pathetic compared to DBZ. It doesn't run in a good time slot during the week, which limits its mainstream exposure. Public awareness is nowhere near what DBZ had.

Now if the DB movie is a success, I fully expect there to be a Naruto live action movie (sort of like how studios jumped on the 80's toon badwagon after Transformers was a smash hit by doing GI Joe, Voltron, Thundercats, etc). If that happens, the sky is the limit. It'll get a ton of mainstream exposure, and I'm sure whatever studio does the project will push the merchandising to absurd levels. Then I could totally see Cartoon Network giving the anime a prime time slot, and things would get really interesting then.

But that's a big if. Fun to speculate though. :lol:

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:15 pm

It's the most popular current series for sure (a bit behind the DBZ-mania though), I'm not sure when it will hit it's peak though. It's still building momentum.

As far as Viz speeding up the manga release, I just think they were forced to by the changing market, now more than ever kids are keeping up with the series via scanlations and such and while I'm sure a lot of them would buy those same volumes they aren't gonna wait 3 years to buy them when Viz finally catches up to the scanlations, thus the increased release rate.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:15 pm

I try so hard to get into Naruto, but his voice is very annoying, and I personally don't like it. I hope Naruto will never have the same popularity like DBZ had in America. Let's face it, there is no action/fighting anime series as great as DBZ. Sorry if this looks bad, I'm typing on my Wii.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:30 pm

^^

You, sir, have the patience of a god. I would never have the initiative to type that much text on the Wii.

One thing I forgot to mention about Naruto: I saw the Japanese version first, and actually enjoyed it somewhat. I hate it now, and I believe that this is because of all of the kids out there who love the show so much; it kind of bastardizes an otherwise good product.

This is the difference between DBZ and Naruto. Many fans of DBZ from the pre-Funi days are still fans, their fandom not having been adversely impacted by the dub kids who thought that 'mondo cool' was the real line. Eleven year old fandom did not ruin DBZ for many older fans; conversely, a new generation of 11 y/o fans for Naruto have, at least for me, ruined the show and any appreciation I had for it otherwise.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:10 pm

I need some help understanding this, how do young kids enjoying a show make it worse for you?

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:17 pm

I don't think it is unpopular.

Not because of my undying hate for the series, but because I can walk in stores in the mall and not see anything for Naruto. I remember toy stores having a crap load of DBZ stuff when I was younger. I also remember the commercials I saw not only for the series, but for the toys as well. Naruto really doesn't appear in my life at all (thank god). The only time is when I see the end of the credits before One Piece starts up.

In the U.S., no anime will be as popular as DBZ was.
- Life is a game, play it!

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:35 pm

I have to agree with many other members here, I don't think Naruto has reached the popularity DragonBall Z had. Again, it's due to merchandising, I had DragonBall Z Party Supplies, School Supplies, Colouring Books, Walkie Talkies, Yo-Yos, etc. Naruto really seems to have only a limited Action Figure series, which, I haven't seen in a store in about two years(One Piece, even longer), the whole HeadBand and KeyChain thing, and Wall Scrolls. It has merchandising like some BackPacks, and such, but no where near what DBZ had.

PrincessVegeta
Banned

Post by PrincessVegeta » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 pm

In my oppinion Naruto can't even hold a candle up to the greatness of DBZ still.
Last edited by PrincessVegeta on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ultimate Funimation Fangirl.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:09 pm

I know very little about Naruto. I've never even seen it, nor do I care to. But I think its still in production right? If so, then I'm pretty sure that gives it a distinct advantage over Dragonball.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:11 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:I know very little about Naruto. I've never even seen it, nor do I care to. But I think its still in production right? If so, then I'm pretty sure that gives it a distinct advantage over Dragonball.
With how low-quality Naruto Shippuden (to the Naruto anime what DBZ was to DB) has been as of late, I'm surprised it's still going.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:18 pm

EvilGamerX wrote:I don't think it is unpopular.

Not because of my undying hate for the series, but because I can walk in stores in the mall and not see anything for Naruto.
OP isnt any more sophisticated than any other Shounen series out there. Infact, its pretty damn repetative, most Shounen shows are.

OP in particular seems to go through the same formula every story arc.

but that's just my two cents...

Death-T
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Death-T » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:18 pm

This is the difference between DBZ and Naruto. Many fans of DBZ from the pre-Funi days are still fans, their fandom not having been adversely impacted by the dub kids who thought that 'mondo cool' was the real line. Eleven year old fandom did not ruin DBZ for many older fans; conversely, a new generation of 11 y/o fans for Naruto have, at least for me, ruined the show and any appreciation I had for it otherwise.
That is the stupidest reason I've ever heard not to like a show. Sure those "Zabuza Sword and Sasuke Demon Shuriken!!" commercials and 9 year old kids with headbands who've only seen ten consecutive episodes shouting out "Beleive it!" is kinda annoying, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the show itself.
[color=blue]"Inherited Will.The Destiny of the Age and the Dreams of it's People.These will not be stopped.As long as People continue to pursue the Meaning of Freedom,They will never cease to be !"

~ 0ne Piece ~

"H-heh heh heh ... What is 'evil'? If I'm loyal to what you say is right,is that all it takes to make me 'good' ?"

~ Bakura ~ Yu-Gi-Oh ! Duel Monsters ~ [/color]