Toriyama hates GT!!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:36 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I won't play Dragon Ball Online. Truth be told, I hate those types of games. I hate Warcraft, I hate Starcraft, I hate Diablo. I hate those games. Namely because people that play them get so stupid and worked up over a silly little video game. People that play that crap for hours and hours on in make me feel like I want to puke just thinking about it. "Oh my god I'm level 99!!! And it only took me 3 straight months to do it!" Playing the same game for months and months is really tiring to me.

I wouldn't play it because it will probably be monthly payment, so to me it's not worth it (I don't know much about the game, so if I'm wrong, I'm sorry). And I don't want to deal with little bitches online. "HEY! You took three Zeni from me! I'll trade you for a Kame Symbol!"
I've never played any of those games listed but do you have to interact with other people while playing? Do they have an offline single player type mode? If so the you can just progress through the game alone. Or if there's an option to only interact with people you allow.

I don't have many, just one, people who I can talk serious Dragonball things with outside of forums and no online capabilities of Dragonball games pre-Sparking!Meteor and the horrid online of Sparking!Meteor this may be the first real interaction that could be had.

Also, it would truly suck if you let the actions of other people keep you from enjoying a potentially great product.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Those types of games are known for its multiplayer rather than single player. Translation, the single player sucks in those games because the multiplayer was the real focus of them.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Re: Toriyama hates GT!!!

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:56 pm

USSJed wrote:When I found this I just HAD to put it up...
Most people seem to think of GT as the official continuation to Dragon Ball, and in some ways it is.

But in other ways it has been COMPLETELY DISREGARDED BY TORIYAMA
Recently, Toriyama and his studio have begun developing Dragon Ball Online, an MMORPG follow-up to the Dragon Ball manga, with Bandai Namco Games and NTL for release in South Korea and Japan. The game will act as a direct sequel to the manga,

It is worth noting that Dragon Ball Online ignores the events of Dragon Ball GT, and even appears to contradict some aspects of the anime (for example, the Yardratians, who did not appear in the manga, look completely different in DBO and the Dragon Ball Z anime). Due to the high level of supervision from Akira Toriyama, as well as the involvement of Bird Studio and Shueisha, DBO may actually be considered a more accurate continuation of the Dragon Ball manga.
Eat that GT!!!
But... if this game is a continuation of the manga, why would he not ignore GT? I mean considering GT wasn't part of the manga.

I'm always trying to push the fact that Manga Canon and Anime Canon are two different things, and two different universes.

GT is definitely Anime Canon. It was produced by Toei and continues after Dragon Ball Z. But it is not Manga Canon simply because there is no GT manga.

Anyway, the idea that Toriyama hated GT has been addressed by others. I'm just saying that the fact he's involved in a game based off the manga, rather than the anime, doesn't say anything about his opinion on the anime at all. Considering he was the one who wrote and drew the manga, it's only natural he'd want to continue his previous work (in one sense) rather than someone else's. And GT just isn't part of that.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:58 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:I've never played any of those games listed but do you have to interact with other people while playing? Do they have an offline single player type mode? If so the you can just progress through the game alone. Or if there's an option to only interact with people you allow.
Well, in the case of the games mentioned in particular, most of those aren't even MMORPGs at all. Starcraft isn't even an RPG; it's a real-time strategy game that can be played online, but it also has a single player mode. The Diablo games are RPGs that have online multiplayer capabilities, but I don't think they fit the modern definition of MMORPG. And other than WoW, most of the Warcraft games are strategy games like Starcraft with single player modes and multiplayer options.

But since that's probably not what you meant, real MMORPGs don't have an offline single player mode. You have to play them online. In some, you can choose to play most of the game solo if you want, but in others, it's virtually impossible to level up all the way without grouping with other players. And either way, when you hit the highest level, the only things left to do typically require other people anyway.

But you usually can choose who you interact with. You can try to group with random people, or you can group with people you know. If people annoy you somehow, there are usually ignore functions, or you can even report them to game mods and possibly get them banned if it's a really bad harassment situation.
-Rachel

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:50 pm

I hate false thread titles. Anyway, Toriyama(kinda like Goku) is too much of a carefree individual to care about things like that. I wish his fans would lighten up some and have fun with the series.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:58 pm

I seriously doubt that even if he hated it, he'd say that out loud. Seems too impolite for him.

That being said, if it's disregarding GT, it certainly sounds more like canon than GT. That's a reasonable and fair assumption. We'll have to wait for the ACTUAL release for the official story.

USSJed
Beyond Newbie

Post by USSJed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:35 pm

But... if this game is a continuation of the manga, why would he not ignore GT? I mean considering GT wasn't part of the manga.

I'm always trying to push the fact that Manga Canon and Anime Canon are two different things, and two different universes.

GT is definitely Anime Canon. It was produced by Toei and continues after Dragon Ball Z. But it is not Manga Canon simply because there is no GT manga
Thats my position on this subject to the letter.
...it won't win you any brownie points or popularity contests on here or any other message board for that matter.
Simply put, I don't care. I'm just looking to find if the general opinion is Pro GT or Anti GT, so that I can set my fan manga in the appropriate setting as to get the most people interested.

Also just the fact that through making this thread I found out from ANOTHER thread that Toriyama called GT a "side story", I already consider this endevour to have been worth my time.

So if anyone has anything constructive or positive to add to this thread then by all means go ahead. But I don't have any intention of reading the posts of people who simply bad mouth me or my thread over the mere wrong selection of words for the thread title. Those people can just Fuck Off and go start their own thread.
Wow, unreal, my gosh....This is amazing! I feel incredible! Yes Yes Yes Yes! I can win, I feel great, I can do this eyah!
-Piccolo, the Super Namek

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:45 pm

USSJed wrote:Those people can just Fuck Off and go start their own thread.
My apologies to the staff for a little backseat modding but...
Forum Rules wrote:RULE # 5: ATTITUDE & EMPHASIS
Be respectful of your peers. There are people of many different nationalities, ethnicities, sexualities, etc. If someone's factually incorrect, don't be afraid to correct them... but be nice about it. In turn, don't be a jerk if someone corrects you on something. Believe it or not, you don't know everything there is to know! Your opinions must be expressed with civility.
Somehow, I'd say that telling people to "f*ck off" doesn't really fall in line with that.

[/quote]
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

USSJed
Beyond Newbie

Post by USSJed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:50 pm

I said what I had to say, I don't care if I get banned or whatever, I want people OUT of this thread unless they have something constructive or positive to say, not "I can't believe you said Toriyama hates GT, I hate you etc"

Believe me if I knew how I would have closed this thread long ago.
Wow, unreal, my gosh....This is amazing! I feel incredible! Yes Yes Yes Yes! I can win, I feel great, I can do this eyah!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm not an MMORPG fan, nor do I own an XBOX360, so I won't be playing DBO.

All I want is for them to release an artbook of Toriyama's designs of it; because that's what I really would prefer to own.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

USSJed
Beyond Newbie

Post by USSJed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:06 pm

DBO is for Xbox 360?

Any idea of a PC release?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:12 pm

USSJed wrote:I said what I had to say, I don't care if I get banned or whatever, I want people OUT of this thread unless they have something constructive or positive to say, not "I can't believe you said Toriyama hates GT, I hate you etc"

Believe me if I knew how I would have closed this thread long ago.
Wow that really isn't what Kunzait was saying at all, he was trying to help people like you get used to the Daizex forums in addition to trying to express the rules and what's socially acceptable around here. When someone tells you to take your shoes off in their house do you go "I DONT GIVE A FUCK STOP BOTHERING ME ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS ASK YOUR HUSBAND A QUESTION!!!!"?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:52 pm

USSJed wrote:So if anyone has anything constructive or positive to add to this thread then by all means go ahead. But I don't have any intention of reading the posts of people who simply bad mouth me or my thread over the mere wrong selection of words for the thread title. Those people can just Fuck Off and go start their own thread.
...You've got issues man... Not only that, but you are really reading way too much into these things... From what I have read nobody is "badmouthing" you and are only sharing their own opinions.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

USSJed
Beyond Newbie

Post by USSJed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:03 pm

The thread was created for two reasons

1. To gauge the general fan base's perception of Dragon Ball GT, is it Pro GT or Anti GT

2. To bring to light information found on en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Online and see if it alters the perception of GT in any way.

Although the initial posts were informative, and even the "Your Wrong" posts were intelligently written, after a short time the majority seemed to degrade into "You is dumb, Toriyama loves GT" or off topic posts. I don't want to read any more posts or PM's on the topic, so in light of this I suggest that this thread be closed(EDIT: IF IT GOES BACK TO BEING STUPID), to make room for something more interesting.
Last edited by USSJed on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:33 pm

It doesn't alter GT in any way. It is probably taking place in between of Z and GT. You know, 15 years did pass between the death of Kid Buu and GT. I mean the first Budokai game didn't include the Buu Saga or GT. Doesn't mean that it altered them in anyway. A big possible reason as to why it doesn't go as far as GT, is so it could utilize all of the Z characters perhaps. Lets face it, if it took place after GT, there would be no place in this game for Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, or any other Z Fighter other than Uub, Pan, Trunks, Vegeta, and Goku. Maybe (and that's a big maybe) Goten and Gohan. Also, Goku would have to be little. Oh yeah, and lets not forget that it can't really take place after GT, seeing as Goku goes "bye bye" as far as we know, until Goku Jr. sees him 100 years later.

Secondly, there are way too many "We hate GT" Threads floating around. All it does is add fuel to the fire. Just like "Japanese vs FUNimation", just like "The Chris Sabat Show", and just like "Anime vs Manga".

USSJed
Beyond Newbie

Post by USSJed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:46 pm

DBOnline is set like 250 years in the future from end of Z, so perhaps it ignores GT just because its so far ahead. But the article did go so far as to say it ignores the events of GT.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:50 pm

That's pretty interesting. So either the game developers:
a) Don't like GT
b) Are doing a continuation of the Manga rather than the Anime
c) The events of GT are not ignored, but just not mentioned (and the article misinterpreted that as ignored)

Either way, a video game is even less cannon than GT ever could be. I personally wouldn't want the story to truly pick up centuries after the end of Z. And what "end of Z" is it? Does it "ignore" anything after Kid Buu was defeated, or does it "ignore" anything after Goku and Uub go off together? Thing is, from what I've seen, Goku is in his orange uniform in the game. Yet, the official ending of Z had him in the blue uniform, took place 10 years after Kid Buu was defeated, and does include Pan, Uub, teenage girl-crazy Goten and Trunks, science geek Gohan, and the whole nine yards. So if it ignores that, then it ignores Akira Toriyama's work as well.

I always thought that GT was a reasonable story in terms of character use. I mean the true end of Z saw an older Krillin, a completely inactive Yamcha, a totally geeky Gohan, a girl-crazy Goten, and somewhat of a wussified Trunks. People complain about how they were portrayed in GT, but I think they were portrayed pretty close to the natural progression they were on from that "10 years later" arc in Z.

USSJed
Beyond Newbie

Post by USSJed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:09 pm

Either way, a video game is even less cannon than GT ever could be
Normally I would agree. But the difference is that this videogame was written by Toriyama while GT wasn't. I personally consider whatever Toriyama writes into the story to be the true story, over something written by someone else.
always thought that GT was a reasonable story in terms of character use
Yeah, your right there, if you are saying what I think your saying. But I disagree on this just because you said character use. Most of the characters were not used very well in GT, although it was accurate in showing how old or useless the majority of characters had become.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:16 pm

Hey, that 10 years later arc had nowhere to go but down. I know most of the characters weren't used, but come on, all of them like "retired from fighting" at the true end of Z. When even Gohan doesn't enter the World Martial Arts tournament, you know he's finished.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:35 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:When even Gohan doesn't enter the World Martial Arts tournament, you know he's finished.
He was finished after Cell. He only entered the World Tournament because Videl blackmailed him.