Funimation's "Faux-"Remastered Season 5 Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat May 31, 2008 5:53 am

I remember hearing a few posts back someone complaining about how Cha-La-Head-Cha-La sounded awful in season 5... I've been watching the English dub for the first time with these sets since the Japanese BGM makes the dub watchable for me...

Anyways... It sounds absolutely horrible! It really sounds as if I were wearing earplugs while underwater... Where the FUCK was quality control on this set!?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat May 31, 2008 3:33 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:I remember hearing a few posts back someone complaining about how Cha-La-Head-Cha-La sounded awful in season 5... I've been watching the English dub for the first time with these sets since the Japanese BGM makes the dub watchable for me...

Anyways... It sounds absolutely horrible! It really sounds as if I were wearing earplugs while underwater... Where the FUCK was quality control on this set!?
They actually put Cha-La-Head-Chal-La on the OP for the Dub with Japanese BGM?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat May 31, 2008 4:07 pm

Raki wrote:
SonGokuGT wrote:I remember hearing a few posts back someone complaining about how Cha-La-Head-Cha-La sounded awful in season 5... I've been watching the English dub for the first time with these sets since the Japanese BGM makes the dub watchable for me...

They actually put Cha-La-Head-Chal-La on the OP for the Dub with Japanese BGM?
No, I checked it out after people reported on here how bad it was. I thought people were just over-reacting at first... But one I checked it out, it really is that bad...

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:33 am

Mm. I'd forgotten how much I'd missed Dameon Clarke's Perfect Cell. One of the best voices in the whole cast.
Trunks & Goten forever

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:14 pm

Thanos6 wrote:Mm. I'd forgotten how much I'd missed Dameon Clarke's Perfect Cell. One of the best voices in the whole cast.
I agree, the casting was the only one that sounds remotely close to the original.

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanos6 wrote:Mm. I'd forgotten how much I'd missed Dameon Clarke's Perfect Cell. One of the best voices in the whole cast.
I haven't even gotten around to even opening my set yet, but I agree with this statement. I have admittedly played various games as Perfect Cell just to hear this voice. I don't know why I love it, but it's by far my favorite English voice. Being reminded that I get to hear this makes me actually want to watch the dub when I have time.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:25 pm

This may seem like a silly question, but what exactly is the deal with overscan? When I pop in my simpsons DVD I am given a 4:3 format and have to zoom in and cut out some of the sides in order to view it with my full screen.

Didn't Funimation claim that because it was already in widescreen it was actually more screen than if I blew it up myself?

Probably an easy question.

Thanks.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:23 am

BrollysKin wrote:This may seem like a silly question, but what exactly is the deal with overscan? When I pop in my simpsons DVD I am given a 4:3 format and have to zoom in and cut out some of the sides in order to view it with my full screen.

Didn't Funimation claim that because it was already in widescreen it was actually more screen than if I blew it up myself?
If you're referring to 8 pixel of black bars on the sides, these never get shown on the TV when the DVD is playing. Someone on the boards once gave me a nice link to explain all of this (which of course I've lost), but I'm not certain that's really "overscan"... its a "natural" part of the picture that never gets displayed. Basically, the true 4:3 image is not made up of all 720x480 pixels on the standard NTSC DVD, its made up of the center 704x480 pixels (and 'No' ... not the easiest of questions to answer in a short space).

As far as FUNI's claim, that's another issue. Someone would probably need to post the old comparison shots to better explain that one.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.