Episode #0129 (18 May 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0129 (18 May 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 18, 2008 12:56 am

Episode #0129 (download MP3)
54:57; 64 kbps, mono; 25.1 MB

Episode #0129! VegettoEX and Meri review the Garlic Jr. Saga. That's right, we sat through the first of two entirely original story arcs in the DBZ TV series, and lived to tell about it. Why was it created, is it worth watching, and why does it have the reputation it has? May and June releases, your e-mails, and much more round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the appalling *one-hundred-twenty-nine* episodes, now.

Couple things I wanted to mention and follow-up on during the show and completely forgot about or saw later...

(1) Garlic Jr.'s Seiyuu Change: While Akira Kamiya initially played Garlic Jr. back in DBZ movie 1, Shigeru Chiba (who also played Raditz) took over for the TV series. While I love Shigeru Chiba to death, I felt like he was just phoning in the performance, here. Chiba may be the man, but in this particular case with this particular character, Kamiya is the fucking man.

(2) Burst Limit / GameStop Pre-Orders: While my local GameStop employees had no clue what the Hell was going on, the website clearly indicates that both online AND in-person pre-orders for the games do indeed include the t-shirt and respective disc (DBZ TV 1-7 DVD for 360, DBZ movie 1 Blu-ray for PS3).

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun May 18, 2008 1:19 am

Kinda early, but I'll give it a listen. These podcasts are always an a joy for me.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sun May 18, 2008 8:33 am

I first saw the Garlic Jr. saga on the International Channel back when I was 11 or 12 (I'm 20 now, for reference), and though I couldn't understand it, like whenever I watched raw DBZ on the I channel (which was most of the series for the first time, Freeza and onward), I loved it. I mean, I really got into it. Though I thought Tullece would've been a better villain to bring back at the time (I was 11 -- I loved Saiyajins), I really liked the fact it was a small, self-contained arc after the long epic that was Freeza (which really started from DBZ episode one, or even, DB episode one).

I saw it dubbed a year later. And I wasn't impressed. Once I knew *exactly* what was going on, and perhaps grew up a bit, I couldn't stand it. Every time I've tried to watch it since, I couldn't sit through it - and for reference, I like GT. I think this saga, Garlic Jr., is the lowest point for Dragon Ball as a whole. And it's sad too, because some of my favorite Dragon Ball episodes are the mini filler stories.

Not DBZ. DBZ's filler is pretty consistently terrible.

Finall verdict - Two Dragon Balls out of Seven. One for each of Marron's --

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun May 18, 2008 10:07 am

I'm currently holding of listening to the podcast until tomorrow (I have a four hour break between classes :shock:), but I thought I'd briefly share my thoughts on the Garlic Jr. saga anyway.

Cons.

1.The dub music was terrible (than usual), Garlic Jr's theme sounded like it came from a fucking Game Boy.

2.I hated Marron, I wanted that bitch dead.

3. The story, it was completely uninteresting, and felt like a waste of my time.

Pros.

1. I enjoyed seeing Vegeta being a badass killing aliens, and the fact they actually showed us what the people from planet "Litt" actually look like.

2. It wasn't that long.

So, yes my list was half assed, but it's past midnight here, and it's hard enough to think about good things about the Garlic Jr. episodes when I'm wide awake.

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Sun May 18, 2008 12:03 pm

I actually used to like Garlic Jr. as a villian and thought this arc was a nice break from the main storyline. Yes, this arc didn't have the greatest story, but it was entertaining nonetheless. I also thought it was cool to see Piccolo and Gohan fighting without Goku there to save their asses.

As for Moron - I mean Marron... I hated her from the very beginning and couldn't wait for her to leave. She had no depth whatsoever and just acted like a stupid bimbo the whole time. Thank God she left later on.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun May 18, 2008 12:28 pm

Because I didn't like it, that's why I never purchased the Garlic Jr. Saga. Though still think it was kind of funny that Toriyama later named Krillin's daughter after her. Wonder what 18 thought about that.

DBZGirl

Post by DBZGirl » Sun May 18, 2008 6:50 pm

I've always wondered than, also. I just listened to the podcast this morning while sitting in my car skipping out on church (oops,) and I found the discussion to be very good, except for what you guys said about Marron. I didn't like her at all, and I found her to be very annoying. I actually haven't seen this era for about 5 years, and I was thinking about trying to watch it again. You guys stopped me. Thank you for saving me from my death! =]
*Can almost always be found running through streets singing a random DBZ song*

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun May 18, 2008 7:11 pm

The only thing I really loved about the Garlic Jr. Saga was seeing grown up Chi-Chi power up. That was about it. You never see her do that ever again. :?

ForestEquilibrium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ForestEquilibrium » Sun May 18, 2008 7:35 pm

These episodes were the first I got on VHS :lol:

Even back then I didn't really care for them, to me it was just a big delay for Trunks' saga.

I too loved the Vegeta scenes, it's probably the only reason I still watch it.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:05 pm

MaronxKarin = OTP.

No. Not really. But anyways...

I really didn't care for the arc. Very boring. I'm not gonna lie, I loved when Gohan impaled that one guy, who's name escapes me, but thats about it.

AWESOME ending music choice, by the way. One of Kageyama's best pieces, and my second favorite behind "We Were Angels".
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun May 18, 2008 8:34 pm

It's the threads, bro! Yah, shee?

Maybe it's because I like 8-16-32-bit Video Game music... but dub Garlic Jr's theme ... I like somehow. :?

Blah. In general...
I liked Piccolo getting bigger...
The idea of fighting an immortal enemy is always fun...
The fact that the characters that were completely ignored from Nappa to Freeza were actually involved (not enough, but still...).
Mr. Popo. Magic Carpet.
Seeing more of Kami is good... It's like he's there to get everyone to train, then just gives Piccolo a power up...
We see people in a more casual setting for a little bit...
Appule's people were interesting to me. Mainly because I actually got close enough to the screen to see what the guy looked like before Vegeta finished him. (*hides something*)

Umm... I guess those were the positive aspects. ...
Although recently, thinking about the Makyo planet is giving me ideas for... whatever the heck I decide to do...
Except, since I watched the dub... I'm not sure how the explanation of the mazoku went... :?
And I'm pretending that was a planetoid.

... And my internet just died for half an hour, at the last sentence of the pst. ............
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon May 19, 2008 6:55 am

Didn't Gohan meet Kami in Movie 1? But I guess that isn't considered canon.

Other than that, Maron wasn't that bad was she? She onlye came over as a slut when she got in the car with Mr.Casanova after braking up with Kuririn 5 seconds ago. :P
Last edited by Son Wukong on Mon May 19, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:17 am

I have never seen the Garlic Jr arc, but i will probably see it soon when I get the season 4 box set. By the way, Mike, what did you think of Speed Racer?
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon May 19, 2008 1:06 pm

The Garlic.Jr Boxset was the second Dragonball DVD Purchase I ever made, the first being the old heavily censored Sayajin saga dub. Talk about a bad introduction to the series. I still ate it up though and craved more. Looking back on it that saga was awful, what irked me the most was Piccolos abrupt "LOL NAW JK GUISE I'm FYNE." It was like they were making the story up as they went along, got stuck and made some lazy awful cop out to progress the story along. Although it contains the best dub line in the whole series.

“WHY LOOKIE HERE I FOUND THE MEATBALL!” *stomps on Kurririns ass*

May I ask what in the name of Kami they meant by that?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Mon May 19, 2008 3:18 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:The only thing I really loved about the Garlic Jr. Saga was seeing grown up Chi-Chi power up. That was about it. You never see her do that ever again. :?
Yeah that was pretty awesome.

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Mon May 19, 2008 3:19 pm

So I had other things I was going to say about this episode, but then I got to the end of the podcast and now I have only this to say:

o noes

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon May 19, 2008 4:37 pm

As I listen through:

Ah Julian: too busy to be on the podcast, but still has enough time to update his facebook. Great, now I'm tempted to hunt all you guys down and send a friend invite. Would it be weird to have a forum-er do that?

I've just seen some clips from the Garlic Jr. Saga. I remember back when Toonami was Dragonball-centric and would especially do something for the series on Friday. On Fridays, they'd usually play one of the DBZ movies, but one week, they just decided to cover the entire Garlic Jr. Saga. Thankfully, it was when I was already well into the series and knew to stay away.

The only reason I might check out the saga is just because you guys seemed to really enjoy some scene when a guy was attacked by infected cats and rats :lol:.

Meri's little talk about "DBZ Goku" not being her favorite character was pretty erm... interesting for lack of a better term. Goku's always so happy-go-lucky that it seems kinda weird to not like him. Then again, I completely agree with the later Goku not having that much character development. The idea of not liking the main character of a series in general is pretty weird.

I remember checking out crappily photoshopped pictures early on in my fandom. Looking up any Dragonball pictures online used to be the bulk of what I'd do with relating to the show :shrug:.

I'd be pretty interested to see some kind of "Behind the Podcast" something. Maybe for a future anniversary episode?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Mon May 19, 2008 5:58 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:I'd be pretty interested to see some kind of "Behind the Podcast" something. Maybe for a future anniversary episode?
Episode #150 will be here before you know it, guys... Thats the perfect time to do some sort of site/podcast history episode.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 21, 2008 12:51 am

I want to hear "Behind the Podcast" X3 .

And I agree with the earlier poster, 150 would be a good number to do it at.

I also want to hear what the adults in Japan think of the idea of the "live action" movie via Julian.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed May 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
1.The dub music was terrible (than usual), Garlic Jr's theme sounded like it came from a fucking Game Boy.
:( :oops:

caejones wrote:
Maybe it's because I like 8-16-32-bit Video Game music... but dub Garlic Jr's theme ... I like somehow. :?
(starts to feel better, thx )
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com