Spain releases DBGT, plans DB re-release! [DragonBox master]

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Spain releases DBGT, plans DB re-release! [DragonBox master]

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun May 25, 2008 12:26 am

This flew a bit below the radar, but Spain is releasing Dragonball GT in a fashion much like their Dragonball Z release, even though they are currently releasing the Cell Games. They are using DragonBox masters and, like their DBZ releases, have 8 episodes on 2 DVDs. There are less languages this time around, these include Castilian Spanish, Catalan, and the original Japanese with Spanish subtitles.

Here are the information pages for the individual volumes:
http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name ... &sid=14687

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name ... &sid=15123

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name ... &sid=15712

This is not all, as recently Selecta Vision released more information:

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name ... &sid=15658

Essentially, this states that Selecta Vision is in talks with Toei to be able to re-release the original Dragonball series fully uncut using the DragonBox masters for the Spanish market. Toei stated that they are very pleased with Selecta's DBZ and DBGT releases so things are looking good for Spain!

Selecta Vision is very determined to have all of the Dragonball saga, including the three series, movies and specials available in Spain uncut and with great picture quality. Selecta is driven to re-release
Dragonball due to Manga Films' previous releases being edited without a Japanese track, and with the subpar video quality of the AB masters.

More as it develops!
[/quote][/url]

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun May 25, 2008 1:10 am

Well, I can read the manga in Spanish, how much harder can it be to understand the anime? Oh god, if this is pitch-corrected, this is DEFINITELY going into my library.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun May 25, 2008 1:25 am

Although the covers reminds me of cheesy lunchbox covers, I like how it seems as though they put some effort and thought into them. Also, from what I can gather, atleast they beat the living hell out of the FUNi releases. I'd totally consider grabbing these, but unfortunately I can't read or speak Spanish.

C'mon FUNi, churn out something steering close to incredible dammit.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun May 25, 2008 1:26 am

Well, so much for "Oh, well we can't get those because Toei is a bunch of pricks who won't let anyone else use Dragonbox masters."
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Sun May 25, 2008 5:30 am

Why can Spanish people use the Dragonbox footage and Funimation not? Also I thought it was Funimation releasing the Spanish DVD's also?Because the covers were same the UUSE.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 25, 2008 5:49 am

I wish I spoke Spanish :(

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun May 25, 2008 6:05 am

shotkeeper wrote:Why can Spanish people use the Dragonbox footage and Funimation not? Also I thought it was Funimation releasing the Spanish DVD's also?Because the covers were same the UUSE.
Because Selecta Vision (the ones releasing the Spanish Dragonbox footage) must have bought the rights to distribute Dragonbox footage in Spanish from Toei. Why Funimation won't buy the rights to sell the Dragonbox's in English? I don't know.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun May 25, 2008 8:00 am

My theory has always been that they're too cheap. >>
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun May 25, 2008 10:23 am

Heh. If they will contain subbed episodes previews, I will import them, no matter what. :twisted:

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Sun May 25, 2008 11:35 am

shotkeeper wrote:Why can Spanish people use the Dragonbox footage and Funimation not? Also I thought it was Funimation releasing the Spanish DVD's also?Because the covers were same the UUSE.
Funimation is releasing the Mexican dub, it is for a different region. Spain != Mexico... even though they speak the same language, get it?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun May 25, 2008 12:40 pm

Kendamu wrote:Well, so much for "Oh, well we can't get those because Toei is a bunch of pricks who won't let anyone else use Dragonbox masters."
Yeah, Toei isn't as bad as I thought they were. At this rate, everyone besides the US will have Dragonbox footage, and we'll be a laughing stock with those "remastered" sets.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun May 25, 2008 1:32 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Because Selecta Vision (the ones releasing the Spanish Dragonbox footage) must have bought the rights to distribute Dragonbox footage in Spanish from Toei. Why Funimation won't buy the rights to sell the Dragonbox's in English? I don't know.
Because the average fan doesn't care about the DragonBox footage, as can be seen by the huge sucess of the Season Box sets. The "Remastering" FUNimation did to the series was probably cheaper then buying the rights to use the DBox footage.
­

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun May 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Taku128 wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:
Because the average fan doesn't care about the DragonBox footage, as can be seen by the huge sucess of the Season Box sets. The "Remastering" FUNimation did to the series was probably cheaper then buying the rights to use the DBox footage.
How do we know that they even considered asking Toei for the footage?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Raki wrote:
Kendamu wrote:Well, so much for "Oh, well we can't get those because Toei is a bunch of pricks who won't let anyone else use Dragonbox masters."
Yeah, Toei isn't as bad as I thought they were. At this rate, everyone besides the US will have Dragonbox footage, and we'll be a laughing stock with those "remastered" sets.
They don't even have any subbed Dragonball Z or GT episodes on DVD out in France yet... Well, I guess 4 DBGT, but that got abandoned and video was crap.
The second movie box will be first box ever really remastered.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun May 25, 2008 3:02 pm

I believed at a con before the orange bricks were announced, FUNi said they were looking into negotiating for the DragonBox masters. Why they can't just release a purist version with it is beyond me...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun May 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Just a few clarifications:

FUNimation is releasing the Mexican Spanish dub for their region, Selecta Vision is releasing the Castilian Spanish dub for Spain. Although they're both they same language, there are differences like the ones between British and American English, hence they have different dubs.

For anyone wanting to import these, remember there's NO ENGLISH WHATSOEVER and that they are coded to be locked to Region 2 and are in PAL format. Also keep in mind that Euros are very high right now and the dollar is very low, so it's going to cost a pretty penny for anyone outside Europe!

Dragonball GT = 20,00 Euros = $31.52
Dragonball Z = 25,00 Euros = $39.41

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Sun May 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Why did I mess around in my spanish lessons at school :cry:

My teacher said it will come back and haunt me! :x
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun May 25, 2008 4:15 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Just a few clarifications:

FUNimation is releasing the Mexican Spanish dub for their region, Selecta Vision is releasing the Castilian Spanish dub for Spain. Although they're both they same language, there are differences like the ones between British and American English, hence they have different dubs.

For anyone wanting to import these, remember there's NO ENGLISH WHATSOEVER and that they are coded to be locked to Region 2 and are in PAL format. Also keep in mind that Euros are very high right now and the dollar is very low, so it's going to cost a pretty penny for anyone outside Europe!

So unless we understand Spanish and have lots of cash to blow, we better stick to the Japanese releases.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun May 25, 2008 5:20 pm

Raki wrote:
SonGokuGT wrote:Just a few clarifications:

So unless we understand Spanish and have lots of cash to blow, we better stick to the Japanese releases.
The only thing that these have going for them is more languages, Spanish subtitles, and 2 more episodes per release when compared to the Japanese singles. Other than that, I'd get the Japanese releases, the Spanish releases have been know to have saturated colors.

Follow this linkto see a comparison between the DragonBox and Selecta's releases:

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name ... &artid=627

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sun May 25, 2008 6:22 pm

Raki wrote:At this rate, everyone besides the US will have Dragonbox footage, and we'll be a laughing stock with those "remastered" sets.
If DB history in Europe repeats itself, I'm pretty sure Spain'll just give the masters to other European countries if they wanted them like the old AB footage. Oh yeah the US...we won't get it.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]