GT Season One Box (and Other Things) Confirmed

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

GT Season One Box (and Other Things) Confirmed

Post by MagicBox » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:41 pm

From AnimeonDVD.com:

"The latest version of "Anime Source" came in with our copy of School Rumble and xxxholic this month and it has a listing of releases for September 2008. As we've learned in the past, these are not always 100% correct so we're listing them as tentative and not adding them to the release database until solicited to retailers:

Release: 9/16

Dragon Ball GT Season 1 Box Set - $49.98
Dragon Ball Z Season 6 Set - $49.98
DBZ Spanish Vol. #9/10 - $12.98 each
Dragon Ball Z Movie 3/4 - $29.98
Dragon Ball Z Movie 3/4 Blu-ray - $39.98
"

Again, it's not official until it's solicited, but this pretty much confirms a release date. So... yay?

Also, in completely unrelated news, another Detective Conan box has been confirmed as well! Whoo! [/shameless plug]
Last edited by MagicBox on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: GT Season One Box (and Other Things) Confirmed

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:46 pm

MagicBox wrote:Dragon Ball GT Season 1 Box Set - $49.98
What? So it is real then? I thought it was a rumor that was debunked... unless it was the June release date. Hmm. At least now I won't have to get those crappy other GT DVD's (as I was contemplating) and can hopefully get the dub with the original soundtrack (not Menza's Magnum opus... ugh).
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:47 pm

Were there any photos to go along with them? The GT Boxset is that like the season DBZ boxsets?

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:49 pm

No photos. After all, they haven't been officially solicited yet, so coverart isn't likely until then.

This is all that was posted: http://www.animeondvd.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=82593

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:55 pm

I knew it! And they said I was crazy~!

Hmm... wow, 50 bucks? What is that, the whole series? O_o Or maybe it's just half. Otherwise, why would it be labeled "Season 1?"
Last edited by Kaboom on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:56 pm

It's sad that this is almost definitely going to be released in the Faux remastered cropped formats. Seeing that all 64 episodes of Dragonball GT have been released in America before there is no major reason for buying these sets since they will probably be cropped.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:06 pm

That's great, I'll finally get to see GT complete.

I got an email about Season 1 of DB today too. Not happening any time soon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:07 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:That's great, I'll finally get to see GT complete.
Excuse me, but isn't all of GT out in 4:3?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:11 pm

If it IS the 'faux' remastered GT seasons; I couldnt see how it could be more than 3 seasons...

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:15 pm

sangofe wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:That's great, I'll finally get to see GT complete.
Excuse me, but isn't all of GT out in 4:3?
Those were pricey. £20 each is better, I wouldn't get them if they were over that price. But I'm gonna want to preorder over half of the things listed there, so much...

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:16 pm

I wonder what color these 'bricks' will be, assuming that these will be released in the same style as the Z season sets.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:18 pm

On a minor note, the concept of having the GT dub with the original music interests me greatly. First of all, GT's dub script isn't nearly as bad as DBZ's. Hell, from the episodes that I've seen, I would even dare to call it "decent" (except for a few lines in the Super 17 arc and the final episode). With Mark Menza's horrible somber-fest of a score removed, the dub just might be watchable, so long as FUNi doesn't make the script worse by adding "revised dialogue."

Plus, since the Japanese opening and ending songs were already in stereo, FUNi wouldn't have to risk making them sound horrible by trying to upgrade an old mono track. Another positive is that GT didn't have any insert songs, aside from the "Dan Dan" montage in the final episode, so there's less of a chance for missing music. Although, there's also a good chance that "Dan Dan" could be removed from that scene just like the DBZ insert songs were, making for an extremely boring series finale. I sure hope that's not the case if the original music is kept.

Aside from the potential insert song problem, I don't really foresee any possible issues with a GT English with Japanese music track.

The only problems I can foresee come from the remastering/cropping side of things. FUNi's remastering seems to have improved greatly since DBZ season 1, so it might not look that bad. The cropping could be the only problem. GT isn't nearly as popular as "Z," though, so there's a small, small chance that FUNi won't use their stupid widescreen gimmick this time. It's a microscopic chance, but if these episodes are kept in fullscreen, and the Japanese music is put into the dub, then these sets are mine.
Last edited by MagicBox on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:21 pm

I would guess the bricks would be Black or Red; and then IF they do Dragon Ball perhaps Blue? I doubt that they would considering they cant put out the first 13 episodes.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:25 pm

MagicBox: Agreed on all counts about the decent dub having the original music on the GT sets. That's why I've been holding out on buying the existing ones, in hopes that such would happen before long, and it looks like it is, now.

The remastering of the Season Sets has improved, although that's as much because of the quality of the film to begin with has improved if not anything else. GT shouldn't be a problem in that regard, so possible cropping aside, I'm expecting OK visual quality.
LeprikanGT wrote:I would guess the bricks would be Black or Red; and then IF they do Dragon Ball perhaps Blue? I doubt that they would considering they cant put out the first 13 episodes.

Well hey, FUNi was supposedly having trouble acquiring similar release rights for One Piece's earlier seasons, but now BAM, we've got 'em. If they do end up doing DB sets, I suspect we might end up pleasantly surprised, somehow.
Last edited by Kaboom on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:32 pm

I would love to see some new coverage of the first 13 episodes. It looks so weird beside the dual disk sets that the other DB volumes are in. It would be nice to see all 3 have 'brick' season sets

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:35 pm

I guess things will depend on if I get the GT season sets, considering the original FUNi sets are still on Best Buy shelves and quite decent in themselves. Will these season sets have good episode counts, will they be cropped, will the remaster-blurrifying & frame-bleeding be very visually present, will there be a dub w/t JP BGM, we'll see. On that note, if the full version of "Step into the Grand Tour" is maintained on the DAN DAN opening sequence, I may just avoid 'em all together.

Does the Spanish DBZ volume 10 go past the incomplete Ultimate Uncut releases? I believe UUE volume 9, which was the last one released here in North America, went up to episode 27. Since both the UUE volumes and Spanish releases are 3 episodes a piece, this should mean that those interested in the Mexican-Spanish dub will finally have new material.
14 years later

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:47 pm

They should add the Japanese footage, like the openings with them in wild forrests riding weird ostriches and all that, as a second option to make it a bit more worth buying.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:31 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:They should add the Japanese footage, like the openings with them in wild forrests riding weird ostriches and all that, as a second option to make it a bit more worth buying.
They most likely will, since the original GT releases of FUNi's are 100% uncut. That is to say, they have all the original openings/endings for the Japanese version, as well as the next-episode previews. It's reasonable to assume the film masters being used for these possible season sets will also have everything as well.
14 years later

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:01 pm

Wow, 50 bucks seems kind of cheap for that GT box.
By Season 1, I hope they don't mean those "Lost episodes" they cut out.
If it's at least 25 episodes, I'll go for that.

I thought the GT dub dialogue was okay, but the one thing that irks me is how sometimes they think they need to put in useless dialogue for a scene that was originally silent.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:09 pm

IF they are the brick season sets, I will buy them, I've already decided this early on. I've bought every dub Db/DBZ/DBGT dvd release this far, so I'm not about to stop now