Dragonball Movie Update! What is UP with this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:43 pm

Snail wrote:I WILL admit that I like the look on his face and his stance. If there is a sequel, let's hope Chatwin has the willpower to put on 10 - 15 pounds of muscle mass at the very least.

*edit

Kaboom, I was aware of that. I'm just a little peeved that they would use that outfit for a promotional poster that's all. Understandable yes? Everybody knows Dragonball...and in this day and age, nothing is really THAT campy anymore. Ex: Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc. etc. Colorful, and faithful outfits aren't frowned upon anymore.
On that note showing Goku in his normal clothes is almost like just showing Peter Parker standing around with a glum look on his face for a Spiderman promotional poster. I think more people's minds would snap to "Dragonball" if Chatwin just wore his Kame uniform for these things.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:49 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Snail wrote:Wow nice outfit... :roll:
You know these are just his civvies for before he trains under Roshi, right? Have you already forgotten that we've SEEN the Kame school uniform, and how awesome it looks?

I wish they'd start putting out promotional images with him in the kame gi, so folks would stop with such obnoxious, unneeded remarks.
Yeah. Damn people and their opinions of the movie. It should be a law that people get their mouths sewn shut if they speak out against movies they haven't seen yet. :roll:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:52 pm

Snail wrote:Kaboom, I was aware of that. I'm just a little peeved that they would use that outfit for a promotional poster that's all. Understandable yes? Everybody knows Dragonball...and in this day and age, nothing is really THAT campy anymore. Ex: Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc. etc. Colorful, and faithful outfits aren't frowned upon anymore.
I understand, sorry if I snapped a bit.

I think it's partially because they're trying to keep so much of the movie's visuals and designs secret for now, and that may include the full Kame gi. I have a feeling once they decide to reveal more, and start seriously promoting it, we'll get full shots of gi-clad Goku, Piccolo, and so on for the posters.

EDIT:
Kendamu wrote:Yeah. Damn people and their opinions of the movie. It should be a law that people get their mouths sewn shut if they speak out against movies they haven't seen yet. :roll:
I have no problem with anti-movie opinions, so long as they're warranted, logical, and politely delivered. Snide remarks with rolly-eyes about an unimportant detail don't qualify. Nor do I appreciate bitter sarcasm intended to make me look like some sort of hate-monger.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:01 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote: EDIT:
Kendamu wrote:Yeah. Damn people and their opinions of the movie. It should be a law that people get their mouths sewn shut if they speak out against movies they haven't seen yet. :roll:
I have no problem with anti-movie opinions, so long as they're warranted, logical, and politely delivered. Snide remarks with rolly-eyes about an unimportant detail don't qualify. Nor do I appreciate bitter sarcasm intended to make me look like some sort of hate-monger.
Well, maybe I would make a sarcastic remark that makes you look like a hate-monger if you didn't snap at people and look like a hate-monger.
(they/she)

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:17 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:I understand there's gotta be a certain level of marketing here, but if they really wanted some good buzz, it would be a good idea to market to, I dunno, us?

Ah well, maybe not.
There's really no need to market to people who are already formiliar with Dragonball. Either we've already bought the ticket years ago (awaiting the good or the bad) or we've already reserved in our mine that there could never ever be a decent Live Action Dragonball feature.

I'm actually stared to understand where the negativity towards the movie is coming from. It's just seems like to that it a lot of fuss over a couple of picture which may or may not be from the actual movie.

I don't know, people just need to relax and wait for some officially official stuff to come down the pipe. Getting upset over some "leaked" or cell phone images will only ruin your day.

And remember we have Chow Yun Fat and Steven Chow on our side.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:20 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:showing Goku in his normal clothes is almost like just showing Peter Parker standing around with a glum look on his face for a Spiderman promotional poster.
Couldn't agree more.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:There's really no need to market to people who are already formiliar with Dragonball. Either we've already bought the ticket years ago (awaiting the good or the bad) or we've already reserved in our mine that there could never ever be a decent Live Action Dragonball feature.
The teams behind Spider-Man and Iron Man (both smashing successes) disagree with you. When you appeal to the core fanbase, the positive buzz spreads.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:38 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:
Anonymous Friend wrote:There's really no need to market to people who are already formiliar with Dragonball. Either we've already bought the ticket years ago (awaiting the good or the bad) or we've already reserved in our mine that there could never ever be a decent Live Action Dragonball feature.
The teams behind Spider-Man and Iron Man (both smashing successes) disagree with you. When you appeal to the core fanbase, the positive buzz spreads.
Well, it looks to me that this movie is appealing to the "I watched the dub w/Fulconer music as a child and think the Japanese version is stupid" portion of the fanbase.
(they/she)

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:50 pm

Kendamu wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:
Well, it looks to me that this movie is appealing to the "I watched the dub w/Fulconer music as a child and think the Japanese version is stupid" portion of the fanbase.
Is it, though? I've heard nothing but dislike for the movie from any camp. Save for the odd individual, the reaction so far as been pretty overwhelmingly negative.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:59 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote: The teams behind Spider-Man and Iron Man (both smashing successes) disagree with you. When you appeal to the core fanbase, the positive buzz spreads.
Is it, though? I've heard nothing but dislike for the movie from any camp. Save for the odd individual, the reaction so far as been pretty overwhelmingly negative.
Well, it might have something to do with the fact that they're giving the "Dragonball Z" treatment to Dragonball. I mean, even in America, Dragonball was done pretty faithfully.
(they/she)

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Kendamu wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:
Kendamu wrote: Well, it looks to me that this movie is appealing to the "I watched the dub w/Fulconer music as a child and think the Japanese version is stupid" portion of the fanbase.
Well, it might have something to do with the fact that they're giving the "Dragonball Z" treatment to Dragonball. I mean, even in America, Dragonball was done pretty faithfully.
Well yeah, that goes back to my point. If they made a movie that appealed to DB's pretty massive fanbase, both current and nostalgics, our positive buzz and excitement would spread to people who might be interested in the franchise, but not enough to pick up the series. Sure, most of us are going to see if regardless. . but if they made an effort to make us excited, then they've got iron-clad support for the film.

But I have a funny feeling they're not expecting this movie to be good enough to bother. . .

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:52 pm

It didn't work for Speed Racer, as good a movie as that was.

This oughta end up a nice little "experiment" in that regard. See which treatment ends up pleasing the audience more.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:00 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:It didn't work for Speed Racer, as good a movie as that was.
Speed Racer's buzz was mixed, at best. It's most hardcore audience being my dad's age and, forgive me, not as much of an influence on internet marketing. They have more important things to worry about. :lol:

It was a fantastic film, though.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Kendamu wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:
Uh dude you are totally wrong. I watched the dub first, when I was 13 I watched Dead Zone in Japanese with subs and thought it was way better, yes, way better than even the Pioneer script. I just want to see this movie because it's Dragon Ball.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:22 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote: The teams behind Spider-Man and Iron Man (both smashing successes) disagree with you. When you appeal to the core fanbase, the positive buzz spreads.
Uh dude you are totally wrong. I watched the dub first, when I was 13 I watched Dead Zone in Japanese with subs and thought it was way better, yes, way better than even the Pioneer script. I just want to see this movie because it's Dragon Ball.
Just because I said that doesn't mean that every last person who will see the movie falls into that exact demographic. Part of the discussion is that Marvel appealed the the fanbase with Iron Man. I'm not part of the Iron Man fanbase. I just heard that it was a good movie so I went and saw it.

So, uh, dude, I'm not totally wrong.
(they/she)

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Kendamu wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:
They are kinda strong on Youtube.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Raki wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
They are kinda strong on Youtube.
Exactly why they're probably appealing to them. They seem to be in the majority over here. DaizEX just seems to be the one rebellious and pretentious corner of the web where most people like the Japanese stuff.

It's the same as the Orange Bricks.

1) Half-assed product.
2) A fanbase that doesn't really give a crap.
3) ???
4) Profit!
(they/she)

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:19 pm

I almost walked out of that movie, it was an hour longer than it needed to be, I can only handle so much of the Wachowski brothers self indulgent tripe in one day (I'm one of those people that tired to love the second and third Matrix movies and grew bitter and twisted towards them in the process)

Anyway, concerning the Dragonball film, to me everything released thus far says to me that the people in charge might like the series, but they clearly do not understand it at all.

I was never expecting a faithful adaption, I was just hoping for an approach that understood and took into account what made the series so popular, instead of trying to squash it into a generic superhero mold.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:07 am

djkalteraphine wrote:
Speed Racer's buzz was mixed, at best. It's most hardcore audience being my dad's age and, forgive me, not as much of an influence on internet marketing. They have more important things to worry about. :lol:

It was a fantastic film, though.
Yay for the Speed Racer love. Given the average review I see, I thought most people hated it. I did notice that most negative points seem to stem from either people forgetting that it is based on an old cartoon from Japan, or from people who automatically hate anything the Wachowski's go near.
Captain Awesome wrote:
I almost walked out of that movie, it was an hour longer than it needed to be, I can only handle so much of the Wachowski brothers self indulgent tripe in one day (I'm one of those people that tired to love the second and third Matrix movies and grew bitter and twisted towards them in the process)
Good example of the second category. The movie was 2 hours long without credits. Has that become non-standard for an American film?
I've heard people talk about the film's "agenda" because of the evil rich guy. Yet... 85-90% of films have conflict generated by a corrupt person in a position of power trying to break the rules and the little guy having to stand up to 'I'm. When did "David and Goliath" become "the liberal agenda?" It's the same kind of thing you see about V For Vendetta. The film changes the collapse of America from a blatant Cold War worst case scenario to a vague civil war that may or may not have to do with current events (probably what they meant, but isn't force fed to anyone). The rest of the film has nothing to do with the USA, yet somehow the movie is all about bashing the war on terror, or so I've been told (and for some reason, the war seems to gain most of its support when someone wants to trash a "lib," because outside of those moments I generally only hear people calling it a mistake). Sorry Captain Awesome. You just hit a pet peeve of mine. My statements, aside from the first line, aren't directed at you.

Getting back on topic- I view DB as a comic (well, manga), and so find the comparison to comic movies compelling. Honestly, the little they give us makes me think that this is almost in the vein of Forbidden Kingdom. I know that isn't the case, but the marketing of Goku as this dorky high school kid who's going to luck into a greater conflict and training with a crazy old master thing...

And... really... I still have trouble with the concept of "Goku in his civvies." Goku has civvies? Goku wears a gi. To get more comfy, he wears nothing. "Civvies" are things he is forced to wear because someone dragged him into polite society. I'm still supporting the film and have hope for it, but taking the naive country bumpkin and making him an awkward high school kid is basically turning Goku into Gohan. Marketing to Chatwin fangirls for this would be like the Dark Knight campaign trying to market shots of Christian Bale photo ops.
Last edited by Onikage725 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:12 am

djkalteraphine wrote:Give me one shot of him looking like this:
And I won't say a word against Chatwin until I see the movie.
I can't say I've seen what where he looks like that, but he does look like this:

Well, not exactly like that, but the same expression.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog