DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Many thanks for the update! Looking forward to the movie!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I had a dream that I saw the Abridged version of movie 8, and instead of destroying the South Galaxy, Broly drop-kicked the galaxy.
Was it like the Godzilla dropkick ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:16 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Expect World's Strongest somewhere between Wed-Friday.
YAAAAAAAY!
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:20 pm

soppa saia people wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I had a dream that I saw the Abridged version of movie 8, and instead of destroying the South Galaxy, Broly drop-kicked the galaxy.
More like pro wrestling
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
soppa saia people wrote:
More like pro wrestling
Hm, not as cool.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:36 pm

Zephyr wrote:So, uh, random question Kaiser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50dd-APpxMw
In this clip from Episode 47, where Ten heads out from Kame House to confront Cell, he yells "I am a warrior!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozM3Chgvq-o
In this beautiful Big Green Dub montage, around 3:20, Broly exclaims: "I am the Legendary Warrior!"

The both felt really similar, and I was curious if the similarity was an intentional callback or something. Probably wasn't, and they're probably not as similar as I'm hearing them to be, but I thought I'd ask anyway just in case. :P
I'm not a teamfourstar member, but considering that in the French dub (and by extension the Big Green dub) Saiyans are Space Warriors probably a coincidence. Oh, and fixed your quote.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon May 02, 2016 6:58 pm

Danfun64 wrote:in the French dub (and by extension the Big Green dub) Saiyans are Space Warriors probably a coincidence.
Oh, I know that. I was just wondering if it was a subtle callback to the silliness of it.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon May 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Naw, it's just Tenshinhan being the straight-man serious warrior type as usual. Funny coincidence though!
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue May 03, 2016 12:16 am

Ah, figured as much. Thanks for responding!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:12 am

Speaking of Broly, I feel like AB Groupe Vegeta's line (during Kurilin's horrible singing) "In the next battle he should sing. It will paralyze the enemy!" seems to fit more with Worf (from Star Trek) than Vegeta. It would be funny if when you do Broly, you have Worf in that scene saying that line (and the line "I suppose you are (W)arriors) (Is there a way of saying that in the original context a word should be capitalized, but in a modified context with the same exact sentence it shouldn't be?). The first time Abridged Vegeta would say "Hey you! This is my spot. Find your own!" (How you are going to draw and animate a DBZ style Worf would be your business, of course :P)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:23 am

Speaking of Broly since it's unanimous the whole team doesn't like him, I'd like to see how a Broly should have been. It'd be damn easy to poke fun at him, and you should for some good material. But it'd be pretty sweet to see if you guys could make a better Broly (Which shouldn't be too hard). Heck if it's really good, then you could potentially kill some of his over hype by creating a better Broly that makes the original look bland by comparison. Basically giving Broly the 13 treatment of making something less than stellar, into something more entertaining. He's dumb fun for me without much else going for em in the same way Kid Boo is just dumb fun without anything really going for him. Being legitimately good would be shock instead of mindless fun.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu May 05, 2016 10:54 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Speaking of Broly since it's unanimous the whole team doesn't like him, I'd like to see how a Broly should have been. It'd be damn easy to poke fun at him, and you should for some good material. But it'd be pretty sweet to see if you guys could make a better Broly (Which shouldn't be too hard). Heck if it's really good, then you could potentially kill some of his over hype by creating a better Broly that makes the original look bland by comparison. Basically giving Broly the 13 treatment of making something less than stellar, into something more entertaining. He's dumb fun for me without much else going for em in the same way Kid Boo is just dumb fun without anything really going for him. Being legitimately good would be shock instead of mindless fun.
That kind of contradicts the spirit of DBZA though.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:37 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Speaking of Broly since it's unanimous the whole team doesn't like him, I'd like to see how a Broly should have been. It'd be damn easy to poke fun at him, and you should for some good material. But it'd be pretty sweet to see if you guys could make a better Broly (Which shouldn't be too hard). Heck if it's really good, then you could potentially kill some of his over hype by creating a better Broly that makes the original look bland by comparison. Basically giving Broly the 13 treatment of making something less than stellar, into something more entertaining. He's dumb fun for me without much else going for em in the same way Kid Boo is just dumb fun without anything really going for him. Being legitimately good would be shock instead of mindless fun.
That kind of contradicts the spirit of DBZA though.
They did it with 13. They did it with Slug. They did it with pretty much every movie villain. Can't say they really reflect the originals. They're better off for not reflecting the originals. A lot of characters in the episodes do not reflect the originals either. It's their own version and take. Because it's a parody work, not a dub.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu May 05, 2016 12:22 pm

They did it with 13 because he had that voice in the dub and it was hilarious.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Thu May 05, 2016 6:30 pm

...they can't not make fun of Broly. He's far too ubiquitous in the fanbase to take him seriously. They mention he's pretty much emblematic of everything stupid about HARDCORE DBZ! Something that, you know, was never really as important to the series as the dub tried to market.

Plus, it's just kind of hard to take him seriously in his movies themselves. He starts off as hilariously over-the-top, gets even worse in the sequel, and then comes back as a mud monster. Would you really want to try and play him straight in a parody?
Last edited by MozillaVulpix on Thu May 05, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:42 pm

I still say they should just leave Broly exactly as-is, and just voice over everyone else. Broly in entertainment enough, and the reactions to him would be funnier than altering the character himself, in my opinion.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu May 05, 2016 6:46 pm

We're making fun of Broly.

There. Done. =D

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:59 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:We're making fun of Broly.

There. Done. =D
But wen Broly?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu May 05, 2016 7:11 pm

Somewhere between September and December.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:19 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:...they can't not make fun of Broly. He's far too ubiquitous in the fanbase to take him seriously. They mention he's pretty much emblematic of everything stupid about HARDCORE DBZ! Something that, you know, was never really as important to the series as the dub tried to market.

Plus, it's just kind of hard to take him seriously in his movies themselves. He starts off as hilariously over-the-top, gets even worse in the sequel, and then comes back as a mud monster. Would you really want to try and play him straight in a parody?
Never said play him straight. Just make him more entertaining. Practically all the movie villains, ESPECIALLY ALL OF 13 and Tree of might, was basically TFS doing there own thing to make them better. I mean good luck playing 13 straight. That's all I mean. I'm hoping it's along those lines. Mock the old, while also doing a different spin on the character. It's not like it'd be the first time they've done that, and most certainty won't be the last. If it's played fully for laughs and mocking, it'll be funny for us, but good lord the heat is gonna be big.