DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Gokuman1993 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Saiga wrote:To be honest I'm tired of the "Goku is a horrible father" jokes.
I agree with you. It was funny the first time, but then it just got less funny as it went on, to the point where it was just not really funny at all. Just sad and heartbreaking, Not to mention, it totally ruins Goku's character (he's already incredible stupid, but could we at least make him a caring father). The part where he just went "hey" to Gohan in episode 27 was the only thing I didn't like about that episode.

Kiddo626
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kiddo626 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:11 pm

Gokuman1993 wrote:
Saiga wrote:To be honest I'm tired of the "Goku is a horrible father" jokes.
I agree with you. It was funny the first time, but then it just got less funny as it went on, to the point where it was just not really funny at all. Just sad and heartbreaking, Not to mention, it totally ruins Goku's character (he's already incredible stupid, but could we at least make him a caring father). The part where he just went "hey" to Gohan in episode 27 was the only thing I didn't like about that episode.
Eh, I'm a Goku fan too, but I usually don't mind these since it's done as a joke and clearly not meant to be taken seriously. If it was trying to be passed off as a legitimate dramatic fanfic or part of actual canon, then it'd bother me a little, but these are harmless to me.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:15 pm

It's gonna be even better when Goku dies. Gohan's gonna be like, "...he deserved it."

Either that, or his refusal to kill Cell is some complex Xanatos Gambit to force Goku to sacrifice himself.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:24 pm

I think the Freeza monologues of how he's going to clean up the Namek failure mid-battle was my favorite gag; emphasizes how outclassed Vegeta is while actually having Freeza address that most if not all of his best officers were gone. A great two-for-one. Most of the episode was great (I figured you'd take "Feel my Super Sayain Wrath" from the Kai dub), as per usual. Old Space Yeller? How does that come up in the writing process? :lol:

But Sebastian the Crab out of the blue... Antfish, you are sorely missed. And another reminder that you guys use of the scenery is unrivaled.
KaiserNeko wrote:The "Goku is a terrible dad" jokes only get worse. Because let's face it: He is kind of a terrible dad, and we're flanderizing that. Because it's fun and relevant!
This will be an interesting running gag to watch unfold. You haven't really messed it up so far, but you've found such legitimate but odd times to use it I'm wondering where it's going to go. I'm looking forward to the RoSaT training, should you guys get that far.
ThunderPX wrote:His SSJ2 transformation is going to make so much more sense now, considering #16's only purpose in life.
OH... MY... GOD...
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:54 am

I love how Goku shows up and, just by means of one quick conversation and acting so differently from the others, is totally throwing off Freeza's whole pompous routine. Can't wait to see how that particular dynamic shifts when Goku goes Super Saiyan.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:40 am

I might be opening a can of worms here but I was sitting in the dark pondering last night (as I do after every DBA episode) and I honestly think you guys write Goku a lot more...Gokuish in Z than Toriyama did. I know you guys over exagerate the stuff in Z for the sake of humor but to me Z tends to be a more whitewashed DB so when you do overexagerate Z it really just ends up feeling a lot more DBish to me...if that makes any sense.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:04 am

Yeah, I think they're just playing up Goku's childish nature and naivety for laughs. MasakoX's Goku also happens to be my favourite English Goku. :)

And seriously, guys, I could understand if you were talking about Mr. Popo, but the "Goku is a terrible dad" gag is really not getting old. It's been used, like, three times, so you must have a really short attention span for comedy if you're getting bored of it already. I think they've handled it pretty well.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:30 am

Speaking of gags, did anyone catch the brief return of DODGE?!
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:48 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Speaking of gags, did anyone catch the brief return of DODGE?!
Yep. Nice little touch. :)
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:43 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Speaking of gags, did anyone catch the brief return of DODGE?!
Yeah, I loved it.

I guess Krillin's going to be reading the disclaimer in the next episode.

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't think Krillin's reading the disclaimer next episode.

Either it'll be another character who's already dead, a minor character, Goku, Frieza, etc.

Or it'll be Krillin will read it consecutively up to the episode where he actually die s :P

But Vegeta's speech (if they keep it) is next episode, so maybe he'll read it one more time since he actually dies 100% then.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:13 pm

My prediction is that the next episode has the entire Base Goku Vs. Freeza fight, and ends with Goku's transformation. And Krillin should read the disclaimer.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:22 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Yeah, I think they're just playing up Goku's childish nature and naivety for laughs. MasakoX's Goku also happens to be my favourite English Goku. :)

And seriously, guys, I could understand if you were talking about Mr. Popo, but the "Goku is a terrible dad" gag is really not getting old. It's been used, like, three times, so you must have a really short attention span for comedy if you're getting bored of it already. I think they've handled it pretty well.
Yeah, this. It's only been used once in each of the episodes, and in all of the cases it was a quick little thing ("AT LEAST THEY'RE AROUND - huh, wonder where that came from," and "I'm beginning to think I have issues") , not something dragged out.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Great episode!
I was afraid Goku would be underwhelming since I think Vegeta, Krillin, Piccolo and Freeza have been more entertaining as characters, but he was definetely the highlight of the episode.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:46 pm

I think the next episode will end with the Twenty-Times Kaiou-ken failing. That way episode #29 can focus on the Genki-dama and Ginyuu filler. :P
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Row row row your boat gently down the stream! :lol: I'm so glad Goku is back in the fray again! Everything from his mouth was pure gold. I'm a little sad that Vegeta's gone, but at least he's got that saiyan swagger.

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:54 pm

*Freeza's charging his Death Ball and Goku's charging his Kamehameha*

Freeza: So we have some time to kill...Team Edward or Jacob?
Goku: *silence*
Freeza: Fine, be that way.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:06 am

Let's leave the writing to the professionals.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:08 am

I predict this joke in the next episode:

Goku: "Kaioken"
Freeza: "Kaio-wha-" *BAM*
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:31 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:I predict this joke in the next episode:

Goku: "Kaioken"
Freeza: "Kaio-wha-" *BAM*
WHAT
HOW DID YOU KNOW
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/