The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a joke

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:19 pm

Honestly, when was the last time you saw MacFarland actually do voice work? He's a great Buggy the Clown on One Piece and when he doesn't rush his Rôshi or has a good voice director he's pretty good. Obviously when he was cast FUNimation still only had three or four male actors to choose from but none the less he's improved quite a bit over time.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:27 pm

McFarland's alright for Muten most of the time, but he lacks that uber-badass battle mode. In Japanese, there's a huge difference between "laying on the lawn chair spanking it to pr0n" Muten and the "blowing up the moon with a max power kamehameha" or "facing off against Piccolo Daimao" Muten. To me, it doesn't seem like McFarland gets those scenes across as well. He's a heck of a lot better than Dave Ward though. Never really dug Corlett's Muten either.

I'll take McFarland over the current japanese actor though. The guy actually sounds to me like he's trying to imitate the english Muten (and failing).
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:36 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Honestly, when was the last time you saw MacFarland actually do voice work?
When I popped in my DB dvd's.

I can't comment on any of his recent work (Funimation's One Piece hasn't surfaced here yet), I just think his Muten Roshi is lacking in character and delivery, If you want to point me towards some moments where you think he did a great job in DB, I'll be more than happy to take a look.
djkalteraphine wrote:But, that's me! I can see why people don't like him, since he his just a guy doing a voice. But I think it's an effective voice.
Thats exactly why I mean, when I hear his Roshi, I hear a voice, I don't hear a character, or a person.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:But, that's me! I can see why people don't like him, since he his just a guy doing a voice. But I think it's an effective voice.
Thats exactly why I mean, when I hear his Roshi, I hear a voice, I don't hear a character, or a person.
I wrote that. . not Super Sonic. :lol:

But yeah, I can see that.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:52 pm

djkalteraphine wrote: I wrote that. . not Super Sonic. :lol:
Whoops!, note to self, use the quote button :oops:

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:48 am

I think the thing is, America started with Z in main circulation. In Z Roshi is nothing more than a comic relief character with 1 or 2 serious moments in the entire Z Era. The only scene that really comes to mind in Z of Roshi having a moment like when he'd get serious back in DB is when they're on the airship after the Vegeta battle and Roshi & Korin are talking about the warriors deaths.

However to me, Roshi even back in DB was a comic relief character 1'st and a serious character second. Which is no stretch and all and just about everyone will concur with. I think Mcfarland's Roshi works very well and gets the character across nicely. I really enjoys his little talk with Tien in the Dub..."Now if you don't mind...I've got a sunset I'd like to catch".

In addition, I don't really see what you mean by "Just a guy doing a voice"...I think he's well into his character.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:49 am

With the talk of redubbing, I also think of what recently happened with Pokemon and the hate it has gotten. I have to agree with that show as 8 years is different than just a few that happened with DBZ. Also, the new theme songs aren't that great and Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, and Rachael Lillis were excellent in their roles to where they defined and personalized them.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:51 am

Super Sonic wrote:With the talk of redubbing, I also think of what recently happened with Pokemon and the hate it has gotten. I have to agree with that show as 8 years is different than just a few that happened with DBZ. Also, the new theme songs aren't that great and Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, and Rachael Lillis were excellent in their roles to where they defined and personalized them.
Eric Stuart was a genius.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:00 am

That he was. Heck, I didn't even know he was Squirtle until last year when I saw it mentioned on a Slayers extra. And like I said, Veronica Taylor is the one true Ash.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:06 am

Super Sonic wrote:That he was. Heck, I didn't even know he was Squirtle until last year when I saw it mentioned on a Slayers extra. And like I said, Veronica Taylor is the one true Ash.
His James was always the funniest part of the show for me. That goofy laugh was awesome.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:48 am

djkalteraphine wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:With the talk of redubbing, I also think of what recently happened with Pokemon and the hate it has gotten. I have to agree with that show as 8 years is different than just a few that happened with DBZ. Also, the new theme songs aren't that great and Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, and Rachael Lillis were excellent in their roles to where they defined and personalized them.
Have you heard his "Leo Burnett and 4kids are the devil! Leo Burnett!" secret message in Pokemon?
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:52 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:
Have you heard his "Leo Burnett and 4kids are the devil!" secret message in Pokemon?
No, but I want to. Yeah, the new voices for Pokémon aren't as good as the old ones, but they don't bother me, like some other Pokémon fans are with them.

EDIT: The site isn't doing anything. It just says; Pokémon and 4Kids are the devil, James reveals all.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:56 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote: Eric Stuart was a genius.
Have you heard his "Leo Burnett and 4kids are the devil!" secret message in Pokemon?
No, but I want to. Yeah, the new voices for Pokémon aren't as good as the old ones, but they don't bother me, like some other Pokémon fans are with them.

EDIT: The site isn't doing anything. It just says; Pokémon and 4Kids are the devil, James reveals all.
Have sound turned on? Maybe just wait or something... Are you using Opera?

EDIT: Never mind, I'll replace it with the MP3 file.
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:57 am

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote: Have you heard his "Leo Burnett and 4kids are the devil!" secret message in Pokemon?

Have sound turned on? Maybe just wait or something... Are you using Opera?
Oh, whoops; I have the volume low. I feel stupid.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:15 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun May 01, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:43 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:I love McFarland's Kame Sen'nin. How can anyone not love "Which one-a these shells says STUD MUFFIN?!" And his serious Kame Sen'nin, while talking to Tenshinhan and Piccolo Daimao, while not as good as the original, is still pretty freaking intense.
“Intense” eh? Er… I’ll just say that I humbly disagree. I’ll chalk it up to my interpretation of the word “intense” differing from yours.
Fair enough. I've already said I can see why some don't like him; But I do, and quite a lot.

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Re: The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a

Post by Brakus » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:03 pm

Artificial Human #887 wrote:
Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:
Does anyone know why DBZ is FUNI's only property is constantly getting raped? What other projects does Sabat direct, or does he direct all of FUNI's in-house jobs?
Because Dragon Ball is still a cash cow for Funimation... they know that as long as they can keep putting out "improved" releases, people will buy them.

It's sickening, but I feel like it's not going to change anytime soon. It makes me pretty angry, since as a whole, I like Funimations dubs/DVDs.
The one important point that so many people on this forum -- ESPECIALLY on this forum -- is that the changes that occurred to DB/Z (and One Piece, for that matter) were all done with the approval of the Japanese licensors. In the case of One Piece, the approval process went all the way to the original manga-ka. Still, even with DB/Z, the casting decisions, the scripting, and the performances

Even to this very day, new merchandise is being produced for Dragon Ball Z. I myself got a pretty sweet Freeza figure at Animazement back in May. Anime is produced so that the production companies can make money off of them. When you're talking about properties like DB/Z and One Piece that have universal appeal, it's in the company's best interest to get it out to as many people as possible. If Toei and company didn't feel that the Dragon Ball franchise would have succeeded in the U.S., especially with the failure of the first 13 episodes of the original Dragon Ball series, they wouldn't have given us a second chance with Dragon Ball Z.

I will admit that there are some things about DBZ that I wish could have been handled better, but at least I am comforted by the fact that the English dub now has a much more correct Japanese BGM. I like my Season Box Sets just fine, thank you very much. And I'll continue to send my money to FUNi and their licensors so that more DBZ stuff will be created.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm pretty sure most people on this forum are aware that Toei is a business that's in it for the money, and basically looks out for numero uno.
The things I don't like about FUNi's take on the dub would be kind of like... say... getting jumped in the schoolyard. FUNi would be the ones punching you in the face for having Magic cards, and telling you its your fault for not being more like the "normal" kids. Toei would be the kid in the back chanting "yeah dude, kick his ass!" even though he's the one who sold you those cards.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:52 pm

One of the reasons I buy the sets is so that the cash will continue flow. Keeping the series alive is the best chance we have for another release. As we all know, Toei and Funimation love re-releasing Dragonball.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Re: The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:59 am

Brakus wrote:
The one important point that so many people on this forum -- ESPECIALLY on this forum -- is that the changes that occurred to DB/Z (and One Piece, for that matter) were all done with the approval of the Japanese licensors.
Shit dude, so DBZ:Sagas, but that doesn't make it a good game.

The fact that the changes were "allowed" doesn't justify any of them.

4kids was "allowed" to rape the heart and soul out of One Piece for a long time before Funimation acquired it.

Toei really don't care that much about the integrity of their properties once they leave the Japanese market.