The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a joke

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:13 pm

Artificial Human #887 wrote:I think if and when they release a new set, they'll try and go with the Dragon Box masters.

"Dragon Ball Z... the way it was meant to be seen!"

But even if they did that, they'd probably still mess with the masters and over-saturate them or something. But I have a notion that's the route they'd try to go. And it would be a good route if they don't mess with it. And maybe actually FIX the dub. It's one of the only dubs I hate watching, and I wish it wasn't that way.
Oh man it would be REAL nice if in the future they give a real dub to Dragonball, be that the case I wouldn't care about the footage at all as long
as I hear all the correct terminology, names and decent voices...just like One Piece's new dub.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:24 pm

I think they're getting there... the hardest part is probably getting all the VAs (especially Sean Schemmel, since he's based outof New York now) to actually dub it. They're probably all sick to death of dealing with this property (and understandably so, considering every game is essentially the same thing). But Schemmel pronounced 'kaio-ken" correctly in Burst Limit, so I think if it was ever re-dubbed, we have at least a mild chance of getting at least that much.

I try to keep high hopes that maybe it could happen.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Artificial Human #887 wrote:I think they're getting there... the hardest part is probably getting all the VAs (especially Sean Schemmel, since he's based outof New York now) to actually dub it. They're probably all sick to death of dealing with this property (and understandably so, considering every game is essentially the same thing). But Schemmel pronounced 'kaio-ken" correctly in Burst Limit, so I think if it was ever re-dubbed, we have at least a mild chance of getting at least that much.

I try to keep high hopes that maybe it could happen.
I wonder if Sean was corrected on his pronunciation of the word? Was Sabat not the voice director this time around or something? Why did Sean just start pronouncing that word correctly. I'm thinking in the future they should pull in new voice actors and try their luck with dubbing Dragonball again,although I can see that causing a shit storm among many Funi fans. However the direction they were going in for OP's Funi dub had it right, whoever was in charge wouldn't let Sabat voice anyone else (major) but Zoro because he wanted Zoro's voice to be one of a kind and to be distinct. If only they would have used that sort of logic on Dragonball, maybe if that was the case then 90 percent of the show wouldn't be played by Mr.Sabat.
(Source= Episode one Commentary on First voyage)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:50 pm

I'm not too sure if Sabat was the director, but I would think he was (considering Okratron 5000 is Sabat's company). I'm not too sure who had the notion to start pronouncing it correctly, but either way, I can't complain. There probably WOULD be an uproar over changing the voices, but honestly, I'm not bothered by them. Sure, Sabat is all over them, but he's not a BAD voice actor. The first time I heard his Yamcha, I didn't even realize it was him. Funi's at a point where they don't NEED him to voice everything, unlike when they first started the in-house dubbing.

Either way, a TRUE re-dub would do the show justice. Some VA's would have to change though (as far as I know, Monika Antonelli isn't with Funi anymore, but Brina Palencia has taken over the role of Chaozu and Puar for the games and is pretty close), but as a whole, it would be okay. All of Funi's VA's are more experience now and could actually play the roles well now, as opposed to back then.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:22 pm

To my knowledge, Sabat was only the Voice Director for a couple of movies as far as DBZ goes. I believe they were Movies 5 and 8. And Artificial Human #887, get ready to dodge rocks for saying that Sabat is a good VA. (I agree, but the rest of this board thinks otherwise)
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:27 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:To my knowledge, Sabat was only the Voice Director for a couple of movies as far as DBZ goes. I believe they were Movies 5 and 8. And Artificial Human #887, get ready to dodge rocks for saying that Sabat is a good VA. (I agree, but the rest of this board thinks otherwise)
Let 'em throw rocks. Is he the best VA ever? No way. But he keeps me entertained. And usually ends up voicing my favorite characters. I think Funi's VA's get TOO much Flack. Yes, the DBZ stuff is bad, but their other properties are handled very well.

And thanks for clearing up the directing thing. In terms of the show, I didn't think he did much, but I thought he had a prominent part of directing the games, at the very least. I remember seeing something on it, unless I'm going crazy (which is entirely possible)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:31 pm

Artificial Human #887 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:To my knowledge, Sabat was only the Voice Director for a couple of movies as far as DBZ goes. I believe they were Movies 5 and 8. And Artificial Human #887, get ready to dodge rocks for saying that Sabat is a good VA. (I agree, but the rest of this board thinks otherwise)
Let 'em throw rocks. Is he the best VA ever? No way. But he keeps me entertained. And usually ends up voicing my favorite characters. I think Funi's VA's get TOO much Flack. Yes, the DBZ stuff is bad, but their other properties are handled very well.

And thanks for clearing up the directing thing. In terms of the show, I didn't think he did much, but I thought he had a prominent part of directing the games, at the very least. I remember seeing something on it, unless I'm going crazy (which is entirely possible)
He probably did the games too, but I know as far as the actual show goes, he directed a few movies.

And I agree, as far as Voice acting goes, the DBZ dub, post-Android saga, is good. I know a lot of people give Sabat flak about his Piccolo, but I think it's based only on the Frieza and early Android sagas. By the Cell saga and Saiyan and Namek saga redubs, he had a great voice for Piccolo. And it's a shame that he's stopped redubbing Vegeta, because I liked his stuff from Season 3, especially Vegeta's death, which was more emotional than the original.

EDIT: I looked up Sabat's staff credits. He directed the last 15 episodes of DBZ, Bardock: The Father Of Goku, The History Of Trunks, Movie 4, Movie 5, and wrote the dub script for Movie 8 (and hey, that was a pretty accurate dub; they should've had him write the dub scripts for the rest of the show, too!).
Cold World (Fanfic)

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:43 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: He probably did the games too, but I know as far as the actual show goes, he directed a few movies.

And I agree, as far as Voice acting goes, the DBZ dub, post-Android saga, is good. I know a lot of people give Sabat flak about his Piccolo, but I think it's based only on the Freeza and early Android sagas. By the Cell saga and Saiyan and Namek saga redubs, he had a great voice for Piccolo. And it's a shame that he's stopped redubbing Vegeta, because I liked his stuff from Season 3, especially Vegeta's death, which was more emotional than the original.

EDIT: I looked up Sabat's staff credits. He directed the last 15 episodes of DBZ, Bardock: The Father Of Goku, The History Of Trunks, Movie 4, Movie 5, and wrote the dub script for Movie 8 (and hey, that was a pretty accurate dub; they should've had him write the dub scripts for the rest of the show, too!).
I agree about Vegeta's death scene. I liked it much more in the re-dub than his original dub. The Japanese version is my favorite, but I enjoyed the re-dub as well. I'm more partial to the voice he uses now than the one he used to use (which is part of my anger towards his lack of re-dubbing in seasons 4 and 5)

I think he does a good job overall. My biggest problem with him is how easily I can spot his voice (Piccolo, Zoro and Kurogane are all identical), but I can do that with most of Funi (and Ocean, for that matter) voices.

If only Dragon Ball got the treatment the other Funi shows get... :?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Artificial Human #887 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: He probably did the games too, but I know as far as the actual show goes, he directed a few movies.

And I agree, as far as Voice acting goes, the DBZ dub, post-Android saga, is good. I know a lot of people give Sabat flak about his Piccolo, but I think it's based only on the Freeza and early Android sagas. By the Cell saga and Saiyan and Namek saga redubs, he had a great voice for Piccolo. And it's a shame that he's stopped redubbing Vegeta, because I liked his stuff from Season 3, especially Vegeta's death, which was more emotional than the original.

I agree about Vegeta's death scene. I liked it much more in the re-dub than his original dub. The Japanese version is my favorite, but I enjoyed the re-dub as well. I'm more partial to the voice he uses now than the one he used to use (which is part of my anger towards his lack of re-dubbing in seasons 4 and 5)

I think he does a good job overall. My biggest problem with him is how easily I can spot his voice (Piccolo, Zoro and Kurogane are all identical), but I can do that with most of Funi (and Ocean, for that matter) voices.

If only Dragon Ball got the treatment the other Funi shows get... :?
Hearing the same voice throughout different shows or being able to distinguish which voice actor is voicing a minor character that will only have one or two lines throughout the entire series doesn't bother me. It's when I can tell that the same guy does several major characters that bothers me.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Some voices are more distinguishable than others. It was originally hard to tell that Yamcha, Piccolo, and Vegeta had the same VA (now it's easy to tell that Vegeta and Piccolo are voiced by Sabat thanks to Vegeta's deep voice in the redubs). However, Jeice was basically Yamcha with an Australian accent, and Zarbon is some weird combination of Piccolo and Yamcha trying to sound sexy. (argh, mental picture!)
Cold World (Fanfic)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Speaking of the redub, in Season 2 when the three fighting Nameks are killed in Dende's village, one of them sounded almost exactly like Scott McNeil. After hearing that, I was like "Why doesn't that guy voice Piccolo? It would make Vegeta and Piccolo's voices actually sound worlds apart."
(they/she)

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:38 pm

There's actually a very good chance that it was Scott McNeil. He was doing a few character voices for FUNimation around that time (Hohenheim from Fullmetal Alchemist being the most popular). Maybe they had him do a voice for a random Namekian just for the "lolz" of it.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:11 pm

MagicBox wrote:There's actually a very good chance that it was Scott McNeil. He was doing a few character voices for FUNimation around that time (Hohenheim from Fullmetal Alchemist being the most popular). Maybe they had him do a voice for a random Namekian just for the "lolz" of it.

Damn it, if they actually did do that they might as well have made him do Piccolo again!
Trans rights, now!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:17 pm

MagicBox wrote:There's actually a very good chance that it was Scott McNeil. He was doing a few character voices for FUNimation around that time (Hohenheim from Fullmetal Alchemist being the most popular). Maybe they had him do a voice for a random Namekian just for the "lolz" of it.
I'd have started watching the dub regularly again if they'd have brought him back as Piccolo!
(they/she)

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:19 pm

Kendamu wrote:
I'd have started watching the dub regularly again if they'd have brought him back as Piccolo!

Agreed, that's one of my most missed voices from the Ocean days.
Trans rights, now!

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:37 pm

That's cold. McNeil's Piccolo is the best Piccolo.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:46 pm

From the English dubs, maybe. Can't beat the original.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:00 pm

SatoSky wrote:From the English dubs, maybe. Can't beat the original.
Oh no, I like him way more than the Japanese. That one is good, but McNeil is the Piccolo I hear when I read manga.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:19 pm

SatoSky wrote:From the English dubs, maybe. Can't beat the original.
Well, of course. I prefer the original the most. When speaking exclusively of the dub, however, Scott McNeil is my favorite Piccolo.
(they/she)

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:29 pm

I wouldn't disagree with you. McNeil at his worst far outclasses Sabat at his best.