Sonny sets the record -Strait- (*Collective groan*)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:14 am

Great panel! I'm very eager to see part 9 once it's up. Glad to see he kept up with his drawing! At Anime Expo 2004 he drew me a Krillin wearing a Spider-man outfit and a Spanish hat... Long story, don't ask! HaHa! :lol:

StarrDust
Not-So-Newbie

Post by StarrDust » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:44 am

SonGokuGT wrote:Great panel! I'm very eager to see part 9 once it's up. Glad to see he kept up with his drawing! At Anime Expo 2004 he drew me a Krillin wearing a Spider-man outfit and a Spanish hat... Long story, don't ask! HaHa! :lol:
ROFL! That's the best thing I've ever heard :lol:
Trying is the first step towards failure.

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:31 pm

I actually know Sonny. I host and maintain his website. =)

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:40 pm

Sonny Strait is probably the only person on the Funimation cast I genuinely enjoy, when the script wasn't horrible, his Kuririn was great, and I'm still quite partial to his Bardock.

It's really nice to see his opinions on the Americanization of anime, and to see that he has a real passion for his work.

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:47 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:Sonny Strait is probably the only person on the Funimation cast I genuinely enjoy, when the script wasn't horrible, his Kuririn was great, and I'm still quite partial to his Bardock.

It's really nice to see his opinions on the Americanization of anime, and to see that he has a real passion for his work.
That he does. The artwork in his manga 'We Shadows' is actually good quality too. I feel many American mangas are lacking in this department.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:57 pm

Karrit wrote:I feel many American mangas are lacking in this department.
I couldn't agree more, every American attempt at manga I've flipped through thus far has been horrible, so I personally would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:38 am

Captain Awesome wrote: and I'm still quite partial to his Bardock.
I love his Bardock aswell...There were some really well delivered lines...And some crappy ones too...

"Tora!!! Oh my gosh"

That sounded awful :lol:

But yeah Sonny's an awesome guy.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
Karrit wrote:I feel many American mangas are lacking in this department.
I couldn't agree more, every American attempt at manga I've flipped through thus far has been horrible, so I personally would love to be pleasantly surprised.
Here's a page of the upcoming second volume of Sonny's manga. It's basically Midsummer Night Dream on crack (In a good way).

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:58 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote: I love his Bardock aswell...There were some really well delivered lines...And some crappy ones too...
I haven't watched the Bardock special dubbed in a while, what I'm used to now is his voice work in the games, which (like Schemmel's Goku) is far better than it was in the show.
Karrit wrote: Here's a page of the upcoming second volume of Sonny's manga. It's basically Midsummer Night Dream on crack (In a good way).
Hah!, thats an interesting concept, the art isn't bad either, I might just have to check it out.

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:23 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote: I love his Bardock aswell...There were some really well delivered lines...And some crappy ones too...
I haven't watched the Bardock special dubbed in a while, what I'm used to now is his voice work in the games, which (like Schemmel's Goku) is far better than it was in the show.
Karrit wrote: Here's a page of the upcoming second volume of Sonny's manga. It's basically Midsummer Night Dream on crack (In a good way).
Hah!, thats an interesting concept, the art isn't bad either, I might just have to check it out.
It's published by Tokyopop and you can find it probably at a Borders/Barnes & Nobles or online through Amazon or Rightstuf.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:24 am

I really dig the character designs.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:00 am

Super Sonic wrote:
StarrDust wrote:Random Question: Does Sonny Strait still play Tom, the Toonami mascot?
He used to. Steve Blum does Tom now.

And Herms, you've never seen FMA?
Steve Blum has for at least 3 or 4 years now.

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:35 am

djkalteraphine wrote:I really dig the character designs.
I'm currently redesigning Sonny's website. He mentioned setting up a web comic format of some of his works.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:03 am

Karrit wrote:
I'm currently redesigning Sonny's website. He mentioned setting up a web comic format of some of his works.
Oh, awesome. Lemme know what happens. :D

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:44 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:
Karrit wrote:
Oh, awesome. Lemme know what happens. :D
I will once I get things done. Right now I'm looking for a webcomic script to use.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:26 am

That was very entertaining. What great explinations of parts of the buisness that I've never heard described before, all of that stuff about acting before vocie acting and FUNimation's original approach to anime and how it evolved to a more Japanese-faithfull basis. Really gives us Dragon Ball fans an explination for why our dub is sub-par compared to newer ones.
He's a really informative and well spoken guy, not to mention funny. I'm now intrested in looking into some of his writing. I'm definately a fan of his voice work (Kuririn, Bardock, Hughes). He's a talented adn diverse actor.

Thanks for pointing us towards this, man.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:53 am

I'm going to be linking these videos on Sonny's site once I'm finished with the new layout & content.

Sonny's scripts are more on the accurate side as well. My only beef was the pronunciation of Loo-pin instead of Loo-pahn. Although the latter is the Japanese pronunciation. The French is more like Loo-pan with the n almost dropped off.

I have the new layout finished. I thought I'd show you guys a preview of how it looks:

And this is the current layout:

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:56 am

Karrit wrote:Sonny's scripts are more on the accurate side as well. My only beef was the pronunciation of Loo-pin instead of Loo-pahn. Although the latter is the Japanese pronunciation. The French is more like Loo-pan with the n almost dropped off.
Yeah, that's my thing as well. I've always said "Lupan", like the Japanese and Geneon versions. But the Geneon scripts always add irrelevant things and try to modernize the show. Occasionally, these will be funny, though. But mostly, I prefer Sonny's Lupin, and have hoped for sometime now that FUNi would license the Green Jacket series (from 1972), as it has some of my favorite Lupin stories (namely, the second episode, "The Man They Called The Magician").

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:02 am

djkalteraphine wrote:
Karrit wrote:Sonny's scripts are more on the accurate side as well. My only beef was the pronunciation of Loo-pin instead of Loo-pahn. Although the latter is the Japanese pronunciation. The French is more like Loo-pan with the n almost dropped off.
Yeah, that's my thing as well. I've always said "Lupan", like the Japanese and Geneon versions. But the Geneon scripts always add irrelevant things and try to modernize the show. Occasionally, these will be funny, though. But mostly, I prefer Sonny's Lupin, and have hoped for sometime now that FUNi would license the Green Jacket series (from 1972), as it has some of my favorite Lupin stories (namely, the second episode, "The Man They Called The Magician").
I own the Green Jacket series in Japanese. You are referring to the episode starring Pycal, the magician. He powns most other Lupin baddies. I also love this series because it introduces the late Yasuo Yamada as Lupin for the first time. Sonny's Lupin is excellent (especially during serious scenes vs. Tony Oliver), although I am partial to Yamada-san.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:14 am

Karrit wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:
I own the Green Jacket series in Japanese. You are referring to the episode starring Pycal, the magician. He powns most other Lupin baddies. I also love this series because it introduces the late Yasuo Yamada as Lupin for the first time. Sonny's Lupin is excellent (especially during serious scenes vs. Tony Oliver), although I am partial to Yamada-san.
Yeah, I've got it in Japanese as well, but it's a rather poor set. And when we're talking about every Lupin voice actor, then Yamada is definitely my favorite, if only for "The Yamada Giggle". Kanichi Kurita is also very good, and his work in the latest Lupin special (Kiri no Elusive) feels as wonderful and natural as Yamada in Castle of Cagliostro.

I've always felt like Sonny more accurately brings Lupin's rather complex character across much more than Tony Oliver, who I do quite like, but couldn't see him doing anything besides the extreme wackyness of the Red Jacket series.