artist needed for a dragonball fan manga I want to create

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Joey Batz
Beyond Newbie

artist needed for a dragonball fan manga I want to create

Post by Joey Batz » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:15 am

I apologize if this is the wrong place to put a request like this, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

Me and another person were planning to work on a Dragon Ball fan manga (this was a person on Neoseeker, not here). I was to write the script while he would draw the artwork. The problem is that he recently backed out of the project, and I have a good chunk of script that I worked pretty hard on. So I'd like to know if there is anyone on this form skilled at drawing Toriyama-style art that would be willing to collaborate with me on an ongoing manga project.

You'd probably want to know more about it, wouldn't you? The name of the project at the moment is:

Dragon Ball GT

Wait! Don't leave! I know, I know, GT's quality is, um, debatable. But that's the reason I want to work on this project. Because GT doesn't HAVE to suck, you know. And while I am planning on keeping the general overall storyline for GT as well as using some of the Funimation dialogue, this is more than simply Dragon Ball GT in comic form. I very much plan on leaving my own mark on the story, for lack of a better term, and I certainly plan on making it better than stuff that Toei churned out. SOME things I have planned are:

--Eliminating those glaring (and not-so-glaring) plot holes that Toei created by never actually watching DB or DBZ. In that same vein, this is going to be a continuation (unofficial, obviously) of Toriyama's manga, not the anime.
--Adding Uub to the mix of characters searching for the Black Star Dragon Balls. It would make the ending of DBZ mean a little bit more, and it would be interesting to work with a character who is rather underdeveloped. Plus, now Uub will no longer be the most useless character in all of Dragon Ball (even Yajirobe kicked more ass than Uub. Against VEGETA, no less). He will be the powerhouse of the group in outer space, and be second only to Gohan in strength and equal to Fat Buu (this of course changes once we get the SSJ4's).
--No more of Goku switching between kid and adult every time he went SSJ4. As a matter of fact, Goku will eventually be permanently changed back into an adult. Yup, that's right. The return of the DBZ Goku we all love. And speaking of SSJ4, that form will not come with its own pair of pants.
--No more one man show. While Goku will be the strongest eventually, he won't be the strongest when he gets turned into a kid (as a matter of fact, I'm starting him out as weaker than even Pan, though his strength returns gradually as time goes on). The other Z fighters will also play a role in the story other than staring in awe at Goku's power. That includes during the hunt for the Shadow Dragons.
--Brand new adventures during the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga. I know, people hated the Lost Episodes. But since that story arc was only the show's premise, I felt it was important to expand on their year long galactic Dragon Ball hunt, as well as to heavily fix the episodes that didn't make as much sense as they should have. This includes scaling down all the villain's power levels so that they're not as strong as Frieza or his men (unless I want them to be), not making everyone out in space know everything about Dragon Balls, and even including a run-in with Super Android 13 (not as a movie sequel though, but as a brand new villain) that will test Uub's power and his character for the first time in his life.
--Adult Gotenks, Vegeta without a mustache, giving Piccolo a chance to shine in battle one last time, and cutting any filler-esque scenes. Nuff said!

So if anyone wants to collaborate with me and draw this fan manga (and we could have a good few people working on this project, not just two people), I would be a very happy person indeed. I already have a full script from the beginning to when they leave Imecka.

Funny note, I was originally going to have the title be Grand Tour Alternate to differentiate between my project and the actual show, but then I realized that it would then be called Dragon Ball GTA and I didn't want people to think it would be about Goku stealing cars and cappin' bitches.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: artist needed for a dragonball fan manga I want to creat

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:32 am

Joey Batz wrote:And speaking of SSJ4, that form will not come with its own pair of pants.
I am just a bit uncomfortable with Goku and Vegeta fighting with their junk swingin' free. What kind of comic did you say this was again? :lol:

I'm not good enough to be your artist, but the idea as a whole sounds neat.
then I realized that it would then be called Dragon Ball GTA and I didn't want people to think it would be about Goku stealing cars and cappin' bitches.
Hey mang, everyone knows Piccolo is gangsta.

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:43 am

This sounds amazingly interesting. I'll upload a few pictures that I've drawn. But as for now, here's two.

Here is an unfinished Broly picture:

And here is a man that I made up myself. It's unfinished though.

Tomorrow, I'll posts some more pictures.

PS: The second picture isn't an example of how I can mimic Toriyama's style. The first one is my mimic of Toriyama's style. Though I've gotten even better, since I drew the first picture in late October.
Last edited by Pain on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:23 am, edited 9 times in total.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:09 am

On one hand you say you'll turn Goku back into an adult to please everyone, yet you're quite happy to strip him of the majority of his power once he's turned into a child?

I've toyed with the idea of cleaning up GT in a fan-manga (But it wouldn't contradict Toyble's AF webcomic), but I would probably just use screencaps from my dvd's, I'm too lazy to draw anything on a regular basis.

Pain

Post by Pain » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:11 am

Captain Awesome wrote:On one hand you say you'll turn Goku back into an adult to please everyone, yet you're quite happy to strip him of the majority of his power once he's turned into a child?

I've toyed with the idea of cleaning up GT in a fan-manga (But it wouldn't contradict Toyble's AF webcomic), but I would probably just use screencaps from my dvd's, I'm too lazy to draw anything on a regular basis.
What about my drawings? Are they good?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:11 am

Captain Awesome wrote:On one hand you say you'll turn Goku back into an adult to please everyone, yet you're quite happy to strip him of the majority of his power once he's turned into a child?
You almost have to, or what's the point of sending anyone into space with him?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:14 am

Rocketman wrote: You almost have to, or what's the point of sending anyone into space with him?
There's weakened Goku.

Then there's weak as Pan Goku.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:07 pm

Pain wrote:What about my drawings? Are they good?
Your drawings are very good, especially the Broly one. It's kind of hard for me to judge the other one since Toryama hasn't made any work similar to that for me to compare it to.

I personally suck at drawing so I have to admit, everything anybody else draws usually seems pretty good to me, but you do definitely seem to have the talent to create a Toryama style DBGT fan manga.

Good job and good luck! :)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:05 pm

You have an interesting Idea there. I don't know if I really have the Toriyama style down, but it is definitely the biggest inspiration on my art(Although over the years some Naruto/One Piece/Bleach may have leaked in :?) Well, here's some of my stuff.

The scanner ruined the quality a bit, though.

And here's some of my own characters:

I drew both of these a few months ago, so I'm sure I've gotten better! :D I really hope that didn't sound braggy >.<

I hope you liked them! I'm not sure if I can do every single chapter, but Pain's look really good. Maybe we could both work on it?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Joey Batz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Joey Batz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:49 am

I'm really glad you all like my ideas. And I'm really happy that so many people are willing to help me on this.

Pain, your Broly picture is awesome. If you want in on this, you're definitely in (unless Akira Toriyama himself wants to draw the artwork, in which case I would have to go with him). Just let me know if you're serious on doing the art here. Like I said, it's an ongoing project and my GT is going to be somewhat longer than the actual GT. I'm also going to need someone to design new characters for me, as well as choreograph the battles (as very often my script will say things like "Goku and Baby fight while the others look on"). So if you are serious about doing this, send me a PM and I'll send you the script so far.

Big Momma, even if your style isn't what I'm looking for exactly (not to be taken as any sort of insult, since I am specifically looking for Toriyama-style art), your help would certainly be appreciated. Especially if you're good at designing original characters.

To address Captain Awesome's complaint, there are a couple reasons why I want to severely weaken Goku. First off, they are traveling across a galaxy that was just a couple decades earlier oppressed by Frieza. If there were characters on every other planet that were "100 times stronger than Majin Buu", as they often say in the show, then it would be silly because one would have to wonder why none of these people killed Frieza. Second, I always figured that if Goku were to become a child, then shouldn't he have the power and techniques he had as a child. For this reason, I decided that he should initially have the power he had during the King Piccolo fight, and the only techniques he should know are the Kamehamea Wave, the After Image Technique, and the Rock Scissors Paper Punch (if he ever uses that one again.....) since those are the only ones he knew as a kid. He actually is going to regain a good chunk of them rather quickly (ie. flight, Super Saiyan, his power will begin increasing as he gets used to his new body, etc.), but he won't ever be at full strength again until midway through the series when he's wished back to an adult. And third, having Goku as the ultimate warrior during the first story arc won't allow Uub his moment to shine, especially at least during one point where he will defeat a villain who Goku is powerless to defeat. I want Uub to be the strongest fighter while they are out in space.

I'm still working out all my ideas, especially for the Black Star Saga as my new adventures are only in the earliest conceptual stages. My script, written entirely in Notepad, definitely needs work (especially with my tendency to over-explain things in detail), but I am confident that, if seen through to the end, that this WILL be better than anything Toei's writers could have possibly dreamed up.

Anybody who wants to help, feel free to send me a PM. I can't have 15 artists working on the same chapter, but input in the storyline and help with character design would be appreciated, and credit will be given where it is due.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:02 am

I have some artisitic skill and I'll help out here and there if you want, also if you don't want my help drawing I'd like to help out some other way because I really like your idea for this.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Pain

Post by Pain » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:07 am

Joey Batz wrote:I'm really glad you all like my ideas. And I'm really happy that so many people are willing to help me on this.

Pain, your Broly picture is awesome. If you want in on this, you're definitely in (unless Akira Toriyama himself wants to draw the artwork, in which case I would have to go with him). Just let me know if you're serious on doing the art here. Like I said, it's an ongoing project and my GT is going to be somewhat longer than the actual GT. I'm also going to need someone to design new characters for me, as well as choreograph the battles (as very often my script will say things like "Goku and Baby fight while the others look on"). So if you are serious about doing this, send me a PM and I'll send you the script so far.

Big Momma, even if your style isn't what I'm looking for exactly (not to be taken as any sort of insult, since I am specifically looking for Toriyama-style art), your help would certainly be appreciated. Especially if you're good at designing original characters.

To address Captain Awesome's complaint, there are a couple reasons why I want to severely weaken Goku. First off, they are traveling across a galaxy that was just a couple decades earlier oppressed by Freeza. If there were characters on every other planet that were "100 times stronger than Majin Buu", as they often say in the show, then it would be silly because one would have to wonder why none of these people killed Freeza. Second, I always figured that if Goku were to become a child, then shouldn't he have the power and techniques he had as a child. For this reason, I decided that he should initially have the power he had during the King Piccolo fight, and the only techniques he should know are the Kamehamea Wave, the After Image Technique, and the Rock Scissors Paper Punch (if he ever uses that one again.....) since those are the only ones he knew as a kid. He actually is going to regain a good chunk of them rather quickly (ie. flight, Super Saiyan, his power will begin increasing as he gets used to his new body, etc.), but he won't ever be at full strength again until midway through the series when he's wished back to an adult. And third, having Goku as the ultimate warrior during the first story arc won't allow Uub his moment to shine, especially at least during one point where he will defeat a villain who Goku is powerless to defeat. I want Uub to be the strongest fighter while they are out in space.

I'm still working out all my ideas, especially for the Black Star Saga as my new adventures are only in the earliest conceptual stages. My script, written entirely in Notepad, definitely needs work (especially with my tendency to over-explain things in detail), but I am confident that, if seen through to the end, that this WILL be better than anything Toei's writers could have possibly dreamed up.

Anybody who wants to help, feel free to send me a PM. I can't have 15 artists working on the same chapter, but input in the storyline and help with character design would be appreciated, and credit will be given where it is due.
Thanks for the compliment. I know that I'm good, but I'm not perfect. I'm not sure if I can do every chapter. I don't even think I could do ONE chapter. But I do know something that I CAN do. I can draw the chapter covers for each chapter. If you don't need that then I'd love to help you make concepts for new characters. If you want me in, then I'm in. :)

dchan316
Beyond Newbie

Post by dchan316 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:56 am

Ahhhh...I remember wanting to do something like this 10 or so years ago...dang I feel old, ahaha... My version was Uub going off by himself though.

But yea, I don't have time to draw the manga, but if you need some character designs, I wouldn't mind lending a hand. I'm somewhat of a competent drawer.

http://dchan316.deviantart.com/

Well, let me know!

Pain

Post by Pain » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:07 am

dchan316 wrote:Ahhhh...I remember wanting to do something like this 10 or so years ago...dang I feel old, ahaha... My version was Uub going off by himself though.

But yea, I don't have time to draw the manga, but if you need some character designs, I wouldn't mind lending a hand. I'm somewhat of a competent drawer.

http://dchan316.deviantart.com/

Well, let me know!
Your drawings are incredible. How long have you been drawing?

dchan316
Beyond Newbie

Post by dchan316 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:13 am

Ahaha....thanks...since I was a kid, I guess.

Pain

Post by Pain » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:19 am

dchan316 wrote:Ahaha....thanks...since I was a kid, I guess.
Me too. How old are you now? Because I'm just 13 and I'm one of the best artists in my middle school.

dchan316
Beyond Newbie

Post by dchan316 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:22 am

I think I'm about as old as VegettoEX, ahaha...

Pain

Post by Pain » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:23 am

dchan316 wrote:I think I'm about as old as VegettoEX, ahaha...
:shock: Really? Looks like I have a long way to go before I get as good as you. :lol:

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:31 am

Pain wrote:
Me too. How old are you now? Because I'm just 13 and I'm one of the best artists in my middle school.
Just 13!? Man, you're really good for your age! Keep nurturing your talent!

Pain

Post by Pain » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:36 am

SonGokuGT wrote:
Pain wrote:
Just 13!? Man, you're really good for your age! Keep nurturing your talent!
Thanks. I'll continue to try my best.