Favorite villans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:36 am

dchan316 wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:Did he really have an influence on the blind swordsman from Rurouni Kenshin? I had no idea, you never know when Dragonball is gonna pop up somewhere where you least expect it.
Yea, on the 66th page of book 14 of the Viz Kenshin, he states that people thought he was inspired by Lau, but it was actually Tao.
Oh, yes, I remember that. Taopaipai is one of my favorite Dragon Ball characters, so that made Usui seem really awesome to me. :D

Genki-Dama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Genki-Dama » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:33 am

Tao Pai Pai is my favourite villian because when I was first introduced to Dragonball, I was watching the episodes where Tao came into the story line. So because he was the first Dragonball villian I saw he will always be my favourite villian. Also because of his badass outfit (KILL YOU!) :lol:

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:44 am

I would personally have to say Freeza.

It's a little because of the way he's woven into the backstory, he just felt more..natural than the other villains, (I always found the whole Dr. Gero, Red Ribbon backstory for Cell a little bit of a stretch, and Boo essentially came out of nowhere)

But I also adore Freeza because of Ryusei Nakao's characterization of him, he's just the ultimate badass, he feigns an air of civility and sophistication for so long, then we start to see the cracks form when Gohan, Kuririn and Vegeta start stuffing about, but once Super Saiya-jin Goku turns up, it all starts to come tumbling down.

Anyway, sorry for rambling..I just love Freeza.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:50 am

Taopaipai - He was more than a match for Goku, then he ended up fighting dirty and it got him mutilated, then he became a joke, popping up as half robot all over the place, but his show down with Ten was awesome. Plus, only the manliest of men have this kind of moustache, a braid and go out in a pink outfit that says "KILL YOU" on the back.

Raditz - Sure, he was the henchman of a henchmen of a henchmen, but he was awesome because of his introduction and because of what he does with his short time on earth, scares the crap out of all of the main characters, reveals a lot about Goku in less than a minute, and gets his just desserts. And only the manliest of men wear a man-thong, rubber armour and don't cut their hair or wash.

Freeza - My favourite, he's got the coolest voice for any mighty being, and just when you think he's finished, he isn't. Only the manliest of men... look like female aliens... no... that's wrong...

Saibaimen are pretty cool too, creeped me out when I was a kid, plus they're expendable. Only the creepiest of little green men explode themselves and shoot acid from their head.
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:59 am

Freeza- Do I need to explain? He is nothing but sheer badassery, he will kill you and your family and act like you and him are having a light discussion about the weather. He will kill children and destroy old people just to get what he wants all while floating in his giant wheelchair. He also has one of the coolest attacks in DBZ history...the Deathbeam.

Pilaf- I'm a sucker for a comedic villain especially one that gets his ass kicked time and time again obviously outmatched only to come back with a more insane plan each time. (This is probably why Buggy is my favorite One Piece villain.)

General Blue- Having a for sure gay villain in Dragonball is sweet, equal rights for the win although he is the offensive gay stereotype equivalent to Mr.Popo's racist appearance but it was just the time and age he was made in (now the gay biker in the Buu saga is a different story). He also kicks ass with his physic powers and his extremely feminine attitude...I really found it offensive when they made him a pedophile in the anime but I hardly take that as part of his canon character.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:30 am

My favorite villain? "Hey Blue, guess who?"
It's Tao!

I also really like Freeza, for being the ultimate villain, but he can't compare to the awesome that is Tao Pai Pai.

DarthVenom9808

Post by DarthVenom9808 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:03 pm

I made this to express my opinion on the villains. It's a simple top ten list using footage of the particular villains greatest moments in Dragon Ball Z.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxeVuevNk_g

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:40 pm

Freeza's really popular... I'm guessing it's because Mike said Freeza was his favourite on the Podcast. :lol: We're nothing but suck ups.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:43 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Freeza's really popular... I'm guessing it's because Mike said Freeza was his favourite on the Podcast. :lol: We're nothing but suck ups.
I like Freeza for being the last original villain of the Dragonball franchise.

Fossilgojir
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Fossilgojir » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:48 pm

Rocketman wrote: I like Freeza for being the last original villain of the Dragonball franchise.
I'd say a big fat pink guy is pretty original. :P But I do understand what you're saying, I'm also glad he can't regenerate.
NO YOU FABRIC!!!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:05 pm

Fossilgojir wrote:
Rocketman wrote: I like Freeza for being the last original villain of the Dragonball franchise.
I'd say a big fat pink guy is pretty original. :P But I do understand what you're saying, I'm also glad he can't regenerate.
What about Baby? He was a bad ass Symbiotic nightmare of a character, and he fucked with all kinds of shit.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:13 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Fossilgojir wrote:
What about Baby? He was a bad ass Symbiotic nightmare of a character, and he fucked with all kinds of shit.
I love Baby. After Tao, Freeza, Baby, and Daimao are my favorites.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:27 pm

I never really liked Baby, he felt too similar to Boo for me.

Also I think the whole possession thing could have been much more epic than Toei made it.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:I never really liked Baby, he felt too similar to Boo for me.

Also I think the whole possession thing could have been much more epic than Toei made it.
I gotta respectfully disagree. For me, Baby was the most epic the series felt since Freeza.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:12 pm

Who isn't a fan of the very first villain/bad guy in the series?

Image Bear Thief!

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:15 pm

If anything Bebi was the Freeza of Dragon Ball GT and Super 17 was the Cell of GT.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:56 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:If anything Bebi was the Freeza of Dragon Ball GT and Super 17 was the Cell of GT.
..Cell was awesome.

Super 17 wasn't.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:03 pm

Well they were both androids created by Dr. Gero for the sole purpose of killing Goku ! That has to count for something. 8)
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Well they were both androids created by Dr. Gero for the sole purpose of killing Goku ! That has to count for something. 8)
I think he was an attempt at a GT version of Cell. They didn't really get Cell's sinister demeanor down and it pretty much ruined the character, he had a lot of potential.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:59 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Who isn't a fan of the very first villain/bad guy in the series?

Image Bear Thief!
I believe that Bulma was the first villain, she did try to kill Goku after all.
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.