What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:50 pm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095P ... UTF8&psc=1

This shirt, I was able to get it thankfully, I like it

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:00 am

The Manga UK Complete Series set for GT, although I said I wouldn't buy it on here before because I owned the individual seasons but I came across it for dirt cheap so decided why not?

Still not a fan of the closeup of Super Saiyan 4 Goku or the placement of GT's logo, which leaves some dead space on the centre right, but ah well, happy to support GT again.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:31 am

SH Figuarts Broly (Super Hero) just came in the mail last week. Now I gotta pick up my SH Figuarts Gohan (Beast) tomorrow!
The world is your's.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:56 pm

Just ordered my first Movie Collection figure. I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I've always loved how detailed they were. Even had a brief email exchange about the line's creation with an ex-Irwin employee.

(Not my photo, BTW):

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:51 pm

I bought a Crunchyroll account to watch various anime, including Dragon Ball. Does that count?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:00 pm

Picked up four of the seven US Dragon Boxes today from a local store. The guy sold them to me for for an absolute steal, only $167 CAD total. $50 a piece and the fourth one was free, plus tax. Looking at how much the other three sets are typically going for, I almost wanna just donate these to a library out of sheer spite towards the kind of people that're selling single sets for between $200 and $800.

"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:34 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:00 pm Image
Sick, man! Best I've seen 'em for in CAD was around $80-90 each a few years back. Would kill for a Crunchyroll reissue of those...

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:39 pm

Finally nabbed a single copy of Bardock for a super great price of $6 shipped

SonTao

Post by SonTao » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:44 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:00 pm
That's a friggin steal. And also a kind gesture for you to make--I bet it'd make some kids at a library real happy :}
Gohan is a neeeeerd.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:31 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:00 pm Picked up four of the seven US Dragon Boxes today from a local store. The guy sold them to me for for an absolute steal, only $167 CAD total. $50 a piece and the fourth one was free, plus tax. Looking at how much the other three sets are typically going for, I almost wanna just donate these to a library out of sheer spite towards the kind of people that're selling single sets for between $200 and $800.

If you do, make sure it's to a librarian who you trust not to be a scalper.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:48 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:00 pm Picked up four of the seven US Dragon Boxes today from a local store. The guy sold them to me for for an absolute steal, only $167 CAD total. $50 a piece and the fourth one was free, plus tax. Looking at how much the other three sets are typically going for, I almost wanna just donate these to a library out of sheer spite towards the kind of people that're selling single sets for between $200 and $800.

Don't you think that's too harsh and futile?

People have the right to sell these sets for whatever price they want -- and it's not like anyone is being forced to buy them.

Either you get for the price people are selling it for, or you don't get the "collector's item" at all. Simple as that.

SonTao

Post by SonTao » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:48 am

[/quote]

People have the right to sell these sets for whatever price they want -- and it's not like anyone is being forced to buy them.

Either you get for the price people are selling it for, or you don't get the "collector's item" at all. Simple as that.
[/quote]

Especially so when the original price was around... what, 100,000 yen? That's around $841. Therefore, even the "scalpers" are dropping it for a bit of a price drop. Unless this data is incorrect, which it very well could be.
Gohan is a neeeeerd.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:03 am

Ssj3Engels wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:48 pm

Of course they can sell the sets for whatever price they want. Doesn't mean they don't deserve to get clowned on for charging that much.

If it makes you feel better the people paying those prices deserve even more mockery.

SonTao wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:48 am ]

Especially so when the original price was around... what, 100,000 yen? That's around $841. Therefore, even the "scalpers" are dropping it for a bit of a price drop. Unless this data is incorrect, which it very well could be.
100,000 yen for the complete set which comes up to about $663 https://wise.com/us/currency-converter/ ... unt=100000

Scalpers are charging up to $400 USD for just one volume

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Box- ... B002Y0KR7A

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:44 am

SonTao wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:48 am

Keep in mind, the Japanese Dragon Boxes only had 2 volumes. ~145 episodes each. Compared to the roughly 40-ish for the English Dragon Boxes. Not really a fair comparison. $400+ for 40 episodes of Z is absurd.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:03 am
Ssj3Engels wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:48 pm

Of course they can sell the sets for whatever price they want. Doesn't mean they don't deserve to get clowned on for charging that much.

If it makes you feel better the people paying those prices deserve even more mockery.

SonTao wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:48 am ]

100,000 yen for the complete set which comes up to about $663 https://wise.com/us/currency-converter/ ... unt=100000

Scalpers are charging up to $400 USD for just one volume

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Box- ... B002Y0KR7A
By "the complete set", you mean all five JP DBoxes, or just the 2 Z ones?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:43 am

I got lucky. I had the last 3 Dragon Boxes from years ago ever since towards the end of their run. Within. the last few months, I got the first 3 on eBay & I just bought the 4th one, so. I'm all. done with the US DBZ Dragon Boxes. DBox 1 was $80, 2 & 4 were $406 together, & 4 was $291. $777 for 4 of them altogether. Could've been better, but overall not bad.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:44 am

The standard Complete Series of Super from Manga UK.

I already have the deluxe collector's edition, but I sold the digipacks from it, so it will mean I'll still only own all of Super twice, as I'm using the collector's edition box as storage for physical extras like art cards and posters. I also managed to grab the standard edition for just a little over what I made on selling the digipacks.

I stopped myself from getting the Super steelbooks though, as I acknowledge collecting Dragon Ball home media is an addiction, and like any addiction, I need to control it.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:25 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:44 am The standard Complete Series of Super from Manga UK.

I already have the deluxe collector's edition, but I sold the digipacks from it, so it will mean I'll still only own all of Super twice, as I'm using the collector's edition box as storage for physical extras like art cards and posters. I also managed to grab the standard edition for just a little over what I made on selling the digipacks.

I stopped myself from getting the Super steelbooks though, as I acknowledge collecting Dragon Ball home media is an addiction, and like any addiction, I need to control it.
It's a nice looking set to be fair.

I finally went for the slipcover UK Z blu-rays. The packaging and extras just looked too damn good to pass up for £15 a set.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:54 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:25 am It's a nice looking set to be fair.

I finally went for the slipcover UK Z blu-rays. The packaging and extras just looked too damn good to pass up for £15 a set.
That's just it, it always comes down to "well it looks nice" when it comes to both the box art and the pictures of the characters. In my defense though, unlike other anime and series in general I can at least guarantee I'll always rewatch Dragon Ball and check out a different release every time. I also recently picked up the UK orange bricks because I found them for dirt cheap, and despite their issues they are very nostalgic to me as they aesthetically represent when Z was finally available uncut from beginning to end and when the series was first released in the UK and Ireland on DVD. I'm currently halfway through season 5 and whenever I decide to do a rewatch after that I'll pop in the steelbook discs, which I haven't used yet.

Agreed on the standard Manga UK Blu-Rays, I honestly probably should have waited for a sale rather than buying them all as they were released because £15 each is dirt cheap regardless of what anyone says about the picture quality (it's not perfect but fine for that price).

Although I don't have much faith because it's so long overdue I do wish Crunchyroll would release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray, as I think that series deserves to be supported because its so often overlooked. I thought of getting the French Blu-Ray for the broadcast audio and best picture quality that series has ever had, but I prefer watching on the TV rather than on my laptop via an external disc drive, which would also require syncing the English subtitles. I know other fans have been purchasing it to reward AB for actually doing a good job, so hopefully with time Crunchyroll will get the message.

Also, not specifically a Dragon Ball purchase but, tangentially related I also picked up Akira Toriyama's Manga Theatre and am quite enjoying some one shots by the man himself. I recommend this to anyone who is a huge Dragon Ball fan.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:08 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:54 am That's just it, it always comes down to "well it looks nice" when it comes to both the box art and the pictures of the characters. In my defense though, unlike other anime and series in general I can at least guarantee I'll always rewatch Dragon Ball and check out a different release every time. I also recently picked up the UK orange bricks because I found them for dirt cheap, and despite their issues they are very nostalgic to me as they aesthetically represent when Z was finally available uncut from beginning to end and when the series was first released in the UK and Ireland on DVD. I'm currently halfway through season 5 and whenever I decide to do a rewatch after that I'll pop in the steelbook discs, which I haven't used yet.

Agreed on the standard Manga UK Blu-Rays, I honestly probably should have waited for a sale rather than buying them all as they were released because £15 each is dirt cheap regardless of what anyone says about the picture quality (it's not perfect but fine for that price).

Although I don't have much faith because it's so long overdue I do wish Crunchyroll would release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray, as I think that series deserves to be supported because its so often overlooked. I thought of getting the French Blu-Ray for the broadcast audio and best picture quality that series has ever had, but I prefer watching on the TV rather than on my laptop via an external disc drive, which would also require syncing the English subtitles. I know other fans have been purchasing it to reward AB for actually doing a good job, so hopefully with time Crunchyroll will get the message.³
I'm very much the same when it comes to double dipping on stuff. Just the sight of cool looking boxart/packaging will instantly draw me to it. I feel like half the fun in owning shows and movies is looking at the packaging. It just gets me in the mood to watch whatever it is. This is something that's lost with streaming.

I may only do an actual DB rewatch once every year or 2, but I get to look at the cool packaging on my shelf everyday. It's a good thing I'm not really into collecting figures or other merchandise outside of the videogames. Buying all these home releases of the show is already enough of a kryptonite for me.

And I agree it's definitely time Crunchyroll put OG DB on blu-ray. Maybe they can work out a deal with AB to use their remaster.