Is this legitimate or a bootleg?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Is this legitimate or a bootleg?

Post by Levlik » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:12 pm

I'm sure you guys are sick of these threads, but this one's really confusing me as I don't know much about the 2-disc Dragon Ball sets. While strolling around on eBay, I found these auctions from a certain seller:
Tournament Saga to Commander Red Saga

King Piccolo Saga 1 to Piccolo Jr Saga 2

From a distance, everything looks normal, except for one thing. The cases here are transparent foldouts and not the standard 2-disc cases Funimation put out, unless I'm mistaken and Funi released foldout sets.

The whole thing LOOKS generally legit to me. I mean, it could easily be a fan-made case (And I'll admit, these cases look really nice) and the discs look like the official release (However, I'm going from memory, as I don't own any of them) but the fact that he's selling two of each with the same pictures for both auctions makes me a bit suspicious and I just want to be absolutley sure I'm not getting shafted if I ever decide on bidding.
This picture in particular sparks my curiousity. That's a bit too many episodes there.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:23 pm

They're bootleg. If they are / appear to be the FUNimation releases and don't exactly follow what appears on this page, they're bootleg. That goes for Australia, as well.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:38 pm

Ok, thanks a lot. I don't know whether to wait for the Lion's Gate license for episodes 1-13 and movie 1 to expire so Funi can release the entire series as a whole--which may never come-- or just get the two Madman sets.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:18 pm

Levlik wrote:Ok, thanks a lot. I don't know whether to wait for the Lion's Gate license for episodes 1-13 and movie 1 to expire so Funi can release the entire series as a whole--which may never come-- or just get the two Madman sets.
I'm pretty sure that the liscnses will last indefinetely, so they'll never expire unless Kidmark/Trimark settles for a fixed amount. If you're going to wait for anything I'd wait for news on whether or not they will release a complete Dragonball release in season set format...if not than I'd just get the Madman discs.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:26 pm

I don't see the point in waiting for an inferior product to be released, under $200 for 153 episodes in their original aspect ratio bilingual and uncut, it really doesn't get much better than that.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:I don't see the point in waiting for an inferior product to be released, under $200 for 153 episodes in their original aspect ratio bilingual and uncut, it really doesn't get much better than that.
Well, the thing is that I don't have a region-free DVD player, my general DVD players are my Xbox 360 and PS2. So my only means of watching the show would be on my computer, and I'd much rather be sitting on a couch with my TV than at my computer desk. It'd just be more convenient to have Region 1 sets. I'm stubborn and a little naive for even believing Lion's Gate might give up the license, I know.

Oh yeah, while we're on the topic of the Madman release, something I've always wondered is that, since it's PAL, would it play approximatley 4% faster than intended?

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:59 pm

Levlik wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:I don't see the point in waiting for an inferior product to be released, under $200 for 153 episodes in their original aspect ratio bilingual and uncut, it really doesn't get much better than that.
Well, the thing is that I don't have a region-free DVD player, my general DVD players are my Xbox 360 and PS2. So my only means of watching the show would be on my computer, and I'd much rather be sitting on a couch with my TV than at my computer desk. It'd just be more convenient to have Region 1 sets. I'm stubborn and a little naive for even believing Lion's Gate might give up the license, I know.

Oh yeah, while we're on the topic of the Madman release, something I've always wondered is that, since it's PAL, would it play approximatley 4% faster than intended?
You can get a region free player for about $30 or so off Amazon, which could then allow you to expand your collection even more. I've used it for the Madman DB sets, the Movie D-Box, and even some MMPR DVDs from Germany. Trust me when I say that a region free DVD player is a good buy.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
MMPR DVDs from Germany.
Why do I feel like I'm missing something awesome?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:04 am

NeptuneKai wrote:
Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
MMPR DVDs from Germany.
Why do I feel like I'm missing something awesome?
Go to amazon.de, they have up to Turbo now and I believe are still in production with PRiS and possibly further.
Last edited by Ex-Dubbie369 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:07 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:You can get a region free player for about $30 or so off Amazon, which could then allow you to expand your collection even more. I've used it for the Madman DB sets, the Movie D-Box, and even some MMPR DVDs from Germany. Trust me when I say that a region free DVD player is a good buy.
I just bought one for 30$ off ebay - it works wonders. Simply search for "region free DVD player" or something, and you'll get a ton of results.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:22 am

The only deluxe box sets available for Dragon Ball are Madman's Dragon Ball Collections. The first one has volumes 1-6 and the second one has volumes 7-11.

Box 1
Box 2

Wojak
Regular

Post by Wojak » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:26 am

Levlik wrote:
Or you could just buy a TV-cable for 5 bucks (if your computer supports that, there should be a special plug next to where you put in the monitor signal cable). Then you can use your TV instead of the computer screen and watch your movies region-free for 5 bucks :wink: .
No more time for Daizex. Goodbye folks!

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:18 am

Levlik wrote:
You don't necessarily need to buy a region free player. You could just buy a regular cheap dvd player, then look it up on the net to find the code to unlock it and make it region free.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:29 am

Wouldn't it still work out cheaper buying the Madman DB and a region free DVD player, than it would shelling out $50 a pop on new (and inferior) DB season sets?, not forgetting that they're the ONLY way to get the Saga of Goku now, since Madman don't sell them separately anymore.