So yep, I made a Piccolo AMV, with Buffy/Angel music :p

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

So yep, I made a Piccolo AMV, with Buffy/Angel music :p

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:49 pm

Actually made this over a month ago, but heck, here ya all go!

My Piccolo AMV - "Another World"

YouTube description: "Made this a very short while ago, had some spare time and gave it a shot, an AMV about the character of Piccolo before his merging with the Namekian Nail, as well as his relationships with both Goku and Gohan in the anime hits original DragonBall and DragonBall Z. The song is called 'Sanctuary', along with an introductory instrumental. Here's hoping ya' all like, please comment!"
14 years later

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:05 pm

I wasn't impressed, unfortunately. I like the Piccolo-Angel comparison, but I didn't think it went anywhere. Maybe that wasn't what you were going for, but I also think that if you use the theme song to something else in an AMV, you're specifically trying to draw a comparison.

Right now, I think it really just looks like a lot of semi-random clips thrown in, especially with how often the scene shifts from Piccolo to Gohan. I mean, Gohan's attack on Raditz was a solid forty seconds where Piccolo barely appeared at all.

I'm totally familiar with not having a lot to work with, but when there's a one-minute and a two-minute version of the Angel theme song, all the padding here looks even more extraneous.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Rocketman wrote:I wasn't impressed, unfortunately. I like the Piccolo-Angel comparison, but I didn't think it went anywhere. Maybe that wasn't what you were going for,
It wasn't. The whole comparison between Piccolo and Angel wasn't really what I was aiming for.
Rocketman wrote:Right now, I think it really just looks like a lot of semi-random clips thrown in, especially with how often the scene shifts from Piccolo to Gohan. I mean, Gohan's attack on Raditz was a solid forty seconds where Piccolo barely appeared at all.
The clips had significance to me. Yes, I didn't have a lot to work with, and that's why I focused on a certain order which may seem random to others like yourself. I wanted to display Piccolo's relationships with Goku and Gohan, the latter even more-so; whereas Goku was his rival, Gohan became like a son to him. That's why I shifted back and forth between his death scene and fight with Goku at the beginning, I wanted to show how much he'd changed and then with the battle against Raditz and training of Gohan, what led him to this moment.

What I also wanted to convey was that Gohan was Piccolo's "Sanctuary" in that he inspires him to eventually become a better person; if you wanna compare this to Angel's story, then there is a similar case where Buffy inspires him in the same way, though in a completely different love context. When Piccolo is revived and merges with Nail, I view that as truly the beginning of his redemption and end of villainy. Dying for Gohan, his time in the afterlife, and first arriving on Namek are kinda like a gap in between in my view.

I very much wanted this AMV to be much more than you apparently thought it was at first, sorry I wasn't able to wow the pants off ya'. Hmm, maybe that Chichi AMV I was thinking of makin' wouldn't be a bad idea... :wink:
14 years later

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:44 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:It wasn't. The whole comparison between Piccolo and Angel wasn't really what I was aiming for.
Well, that changes the whole game, then. I was hung up on thinking it was an Angel comparison. My opinion of it has gone up, although I still don't like the long unbroken scene I mentioned.
Hmm, maybe that Chichi AMV I was thinking of makin' wouldn't be a bad idea... :wink:
:shock: :D