Episode #0154 (07 December 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0154 (07 December 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:54 am

Episode #0154 (download MP3) (rss feed)
72:35; 64 kbps, mono; 33.2 MB

Episode #0154! VegettoEX and Meri bring on Meghan and Kat (Julian shows up for a little bit, too) to talk about cosplay! DB cosplay has significantly grown in both popularity and quality over the last couple years, and they are here to tell you about everything from funny stories to taping down body parts. A few bits of news, December's releases, and fascinating e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the rather sweet *one-hundred-fifty-four* episodes, now.

Big, special, amazing, grateful thanks to Meghan (kinoko) and Kat for joining us! We also planned on having Nikki (QuantumDestiny) on the show, but fate did not quite work out according to plan. We'll have another conversation about this stuff (there is SO much more to cover!) in the future, so look for them on the show, again!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Re: Episode #0154 (07 December 2008)

Post by DBHighDefinition » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Episode #0154 (download MP3) (rss feed)
72:35; 64 kbps, mono; 33.2 MB

Episode #0154! VegettoEX and Meri bring on Meghan and Kat (Julian shows up for a little bit, too) to talk about cosplay! DB cosplay has significantly grown in both popularity and quality over the last couple years, and they are here to tell you about everything from funny stories to taping down body parts. A few bits of news, December's releases, and fascinating e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the rather sweet *one-hundred-fifty-four* episodes, now.

Big, special, amazing, grateful thanks to Meghan (kinoko) and Kat for joining us! We also planned on having Nikki (QuantumDestiny) on the show, but fate did not quite work out according to plan. We'll have another conversation about this stuff (there is SO much more to cover!) in the future, so look for them on the show, again!

w0rd.
Great podcast guys!

Ok, now i'm off to actually listen to it. :wink: :lol:
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:04 pm

Hm. So, who gets the brother from space? What exciting new revelations will we get in Daizesnhuu EX Z: The Podcast?!

I suppose I'll have to actually listen to the thing to find out.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:18 pm

I liked the 1 minute DragonBall GT season set thoughts. Who was that, godofchaos ?

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:24 pm

Yeah I thought we would have got a bit more than that but I guess we gotta wait 2 more weeks. :(
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Who was that, godofchaos ?
Yeah. Random call in-between segments :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:29 pm

Still listening and malfunctioning robot voice girl was totally rad for malfunctioning robot voice :lol:

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Yeah whoever had that bad connection or bad microphone made me turn off the podcast early. Nothing against her and I'm sure she's a nice person but I seriously have a hard time listening to someone speak when they are constantly fading in and out.

Not to mention Daizex podcasts have spoiled me with their excellent sound quality for so long it just seems out of place here.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:43 pm

Oh, the fades in and out were pretty bad, but faux robot voice made up for it with pure rad.

Coincidentally, this talk about cosplay and people dressing up in Harry Potter costumes in this episode made me remember this.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:11 pm

Early uploading for the win.

Cosplay, eh? Looking forward to it as I've not much in the way of knowledge on the subject.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:55 pm

Aw, my poor Katsu sounds like a robot. But I love her anyway.

Great podcast, I'm glad to finally hear a podcast about DB cosplay! And I'm lucky I get to cosplay with those two wild n crazy gals.

Super sweet~.

..I should listen to the whole thing before I reply - I was totally in that DB/OP crossover costume group and I got really excited to hear that it was enjoyed! XD;
Last edited by Artificial Human #887 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Funny topic, I liked the "Mr. Satan & family" part.

you know? Here in Dubai, there was a Games and Anime expo. from 29 to 31 of the last October, and one of the events they got was a cospley contest. The first one in the Middle East region!!

I wanted to be either Goku, or Sogeking, but because Sogeking's costume was more diffecult to provide, I switched to Goku.

Sadly, I didn't do it, but I remeber there were at least two cosplayers made it there. One was an Akatsuki member, and the other was L ((The easiest cospley ever))

Oh, and Mike... if I remember correctly, the deadline for your GT review is set to be in 2010, but I don't remeber the exact date. But I think that it's said atleast in a pre-episode 60 of the podcast after responding to an Email.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:11 pm

Good going with the early upload. Could this become a regular thing? I work every Sunday morning, and this would really aid me in staying awake.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:21 pm

Ah, equations. I try to avoid them and just say 'Gokû's weaker than Bootenks because...he had to fuse with Gohan to win' sort of hard to argue against that. 8)
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Oddish

Post by Oddish » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:33 pm

DaizEX, now pandering to the teenage audience!

It's a shame there were no guy cosplayers on there; I'd have loved to hear their opinions too, but still a great podcast!

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:04 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and explain my little cameo.

I tend to look at all aspects of any given release with a level head, and I talk to Vegetto about it sometimes.

As of late I've gotten screeners from Funimation due to my review/news site ( www.fanboyreview.net , 'hint hint'), and I tend to get anime DVDs early anyways.

A few glitches showed up though...lol

1. That we had spoken earlier in the day, with specific comments about me not HAVING the GT box yet.

2. I had no actual idea what I was showing up for (got a message calling me on Skype, said hi, then you literally hear the rest).

3. I was taking a break from Negima!? (was watching for a review, great show), and had sorta vegged out, so when you hear me, I was sort of out of it.

It's funny when you hear me talk normally, and the way I talked there, completely out of it.

Always fun to show up on the podcast though.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:23 pm

*raises hand*

Umm, I'm actually a mathematician. For the record, a tangent line is a line that intersects a circle in only one point.

And the tangent of an angle in a triangle is the ratio of the lengths of the opposite side to the adjacent side. And the tangent function is a trigonometric function defined to be sine divided by cosine.

That being said, I think Dragon Ball math is okay as long as actual numbers aren't dragged into it. The only things that should be considered are less than, greater than, or similar. And of course all statements of such have to be backed up with evidence from the show.

This could be a good way to logically explain why one character is stronger than another.

A simple example would be as follows:

Piccolo < Cell (After Absorbing Humans)

(Piccolo was totally outclassed when they fought.)

Cell (After Absorbing Humans) < No. 16

(No. 16 seemed confident he could kill Cell, and even had the upper hand throughout most of their fight.)

=> Piccolo < No. 16

Of course that didn't really need the symbols, but once we get into the stuff from the Boo Arc, it gets difficult to keep track of who is stronger than who. And I actually think the strength of the various forms of Boo can be calculated using addition, but that's just my logic.

Of course it's when people try to figure out and use stuff like multipliers that it gets too far, since we have no way to know what they are. The 50x multiplier for the first stage of Super Saiyan is taken from the Daizenshuu under the assumption that it even is a constant multiplier. The only multiplier that actually holds any kind of meaning in the show is the 10x multiplier of the Great Ape transformation because it was stated explicitly by Vegeta.

And don't even get me started on Battle Powers. Seriously, the Scouters and Battle Powers were a good plot device while they were around, but half the point was that the measured Battle Powers of the characters meant nothing. Vegeta realized this just from overhearing the fight with Raditz and kept telling everybody how useless Battle Powers were right up until the last one was destroyed.

So here's my point, I suppose. Using mathematical symbols to write out equations comparing the relative strengths of characters using only evidence from the actual show in an attempt to compare characters who never fought or possibly never even met is fine by me. For example, I will argue that Janemba is stronger than Hildegarn by comparing them both to Super Saiyain 3 Goku.

However, using made up multipliers to try and figure out Battle Powers from points of the series where there was no scouter to be found is completely pointless, and I don't see how people get any enjoyment out of doing so.

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Casual Matt wrote: Umm, I'm actually a mathematician. For the record, a tangent line is a line that intersects a circle in only one point.
Yay! So I was right about a tangent being a line.... And that's about it. XD

Pretty good explanations. People who can do math well have my full respect. Dragon Ball mixed with math is just one cocktail I am not ready to sip. (Wow, did I really just type that?)

Anyway, great show! It was fantastically fun being on again and getting to talk about cosplay stuff.

I really should have talked a little bit about bald caps during the wigs discussion. Our room smelled faintly of latex, not hair spray. XD
The Resident Tenshinhan Fangirl.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:16 pm

The whole math thing has to do with the series use of numbers in the Saiyajin and Freeza sagas. For example, there are power levels from the scouters, the use of Kaioken x1, x2, etc and Vegeta's exclamation about the Oozaru transformation increasing his strength ten times, etc. Power levels where a cool idea but I agree, it's a story idea and not much more. I think people just want to figure out how strong everyone is and compare characters throughout the series together to prove points.

As for the rest of the podcast, I loved this topic since I find cosplay an interesting hobby that I will probably never take part in. I am no costume maker, I wouldn't be able to compare :lol:. Um, can't say much more that has not been said so, I think I have to say this is one of my favorite episodes of the podcast so far. I like having guests on the show, mixes it up a little. 8)

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:39 pm

O Young Michael, the Daté for Viewing Dragon Ball GT be October 13th 2009.

No, really, it is.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.