DragonBall GT Revised [fanfic]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall GT: Revised

Post by Zephyr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Oh Kaboom, why didn't you work for Toei in the 90's? :P

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Zephyr wrote:Oh Kaboom, why didn't you work for Toei in the 90's? :P
Because I was nine years ooooooold~!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Kaboom wrote:
Because I was nine years ooooooold~!
That is no excuse!

Although on a serious note its quite impressive how much time you've spent on basically the bible for a new GT (I'm pretty sure you've done more brainstorming than any of the animators at Toei).
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:28 pm

AgitoZ wrote:Although on a serious note its quite impressive how much time you've spent on basically the bible for a new GT (I'm pretty sure you've done more brainstorming than any of the animators at Toei).
Seriously. I'd kill to have this officially retcon GT. Then my hate for GT would be unable to manifest itself.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Dudes, I haven't even launched the trio into space yet! Either you guys can see the (distant) future, or I've inadvertently spoiled more in my supplementary material than I realized.
deviantART
[thread]

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:12 am

Well there's obviously a lot more planning, effort, and attention to detail being put into the plot than Toei put into GT's plot, a prime example being the kickass backstory you've created (tying Slug, the cataclysm on Namek, and the Ultimate DBs together is just great). That alone makes me like it more than GT, regardless of what part the story's at right now.

The DBO reference is pretty cool too.

And is it just me or was that a Tenshinhan reference in Ch. 6?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:41 am

Zephyr wrote:The DBO reference is pretty cool too.
Yeah, when we suddenly got that massive slew of information about DBO's story and timeline, I decided I would take a shot at trying to make my story "work" with that, as well. Fortunately, most of the details and dates fit nicely, and only one or two small tweaks to prior content needed to be made. It's working pretty well so far. 'Course, 95% of it is still in content to come...
Zephyr wrote:And is it just me or was that a Tenshinhan reference in Ch. 6?
Uh, you'll have to be a little more specific than that... Chapter 6 was written literally over two years ago. >_<
deviantART
[thread]

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:45 am

Oh sorry, I've only recently discovered the series. :lol:

When the news reporters, while waiting to find out who won the Budokai, were commenting on a 'Three Eyed Saint' founding a orphanage monastery.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:48 am

Zephyr wrote:When the news reporters, while waiting to find out who won the Budokai, were commenting on a 'Three Eyed Saint' founding a orphanage monastery.
Ooooh, that one. Yeah, that's Ten alright. There'll be more of him (and the certain individuals he lives with) later in the story.
deviantART
[thread]

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:56 am

Kaboom wrote:Ooooh, that one. Yeah, that's Ten alright. There'll be more of him (and the certain individuals he lives with) later in the story.
Hmmm. Do I smell some New Crane School...?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Zephyr wrote:Hmmm. Do I smell some New Crane School...?
WAY-delayed answer: I dunno, the DBO timeline says the new Crane and Turtle Schools don't get founded until Age 821. But GTR here starts in Age 793. So at most it might get a mention sometime during th-

Hey, wait! What's that coming 'round the bend? Why, it's another fantabulous chapter of DragonBall GT: Revised!
Yes, it certainly DID take freakin' long enough, didn't it?! It's a whopper, though, topping out at a ridiculous 20 pages, and rest assured, I've got a healthy dose of extras to spice it up! First off, we've got the (now) usual downloadable .PDF edition for your on-the-go or off-the-line reading pleasure!
Next up, we've got a bountiful bunch of artwork! First off, here's our incredibly intrepid trio of heroes!
And now, we've got the amazing piece of machinery they'll be riding around on for the next couple dozen chapters of content, almost-year of in-story time, and several decades of real-world time! I know I went to pretty great lengths to describe things in the actual chapter, but if there's anything we know in and out here at GT Revised Incorporated*, it's overkill! And procrastination. Overkill and procrastination! And ruthless efficiency! Overkill, procrastination, and ruthless efficiency! And an almost fanatical devotion to Leonard Nimoy!
Image Image

Image Image Image

Phew! Well, that was certainly a handful to put together!

There's one more big GTR-related surprise coming sometime this week or weekend, and I'm sure I'll get around to finishing that big Cataclysm artwork soon. But this month and probably for most of the next, I'll be focusing on one or two other big projects of mine long-in-coming, while I plan for GTR's coming stories. So sit back, hang tight, and look forward to it all!

*GT Revised Incorporated is, sadly, a non-profit organization.
deviantART
[thread]

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:45 pm

Holy shaz, new chapter! As your diehard fan I will post an opinion after I read it.

EDIT: Pretty good chapter. I liked the character development, and the robot has a purpose now. I also like Goku acting like a kid. Considering the point of GT was to appeal to those who like kid Goku more, they sure didn't make him act like it...
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:08 am

It seems like the week that life decided to kick me in the rear... and face... and groin... and stomach... all sorts of great Dragonball-related fanworks came to save the day. XD

... *Kinda would prefer that this board had spoiler tags* XD

I like the detailed sciency stuff. I really need to do more of that... XD
Space-Octapus FTW?
Lilrobot~!

You make Goku fun! XD

Eep, I'm not feelin' up to saying much of use. :(. One of those weeks, you know...
Liking the new stuff, though! :D
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Great Saiyaman I wrote:and the robot has a purpose now.
It's "A" robot, not necessarily "the" robot in any sort of fashion. There are hints to be dropped, but let's not jump to any rushed conclusions. :wink:
I also like Goku acting like a kid. Considering the point of GT was to appeal to those who like kid Goku more, they sure didn't make him act like it...
caejones wrote:You make Goku fun! XD
He's also easier and more fun to write with a goofy and childish personality. This is a light-hearted portion of the story, so it's more evident now, but there will be serious moments for Kid-Goku too.
deviantART
[thread]

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:23 pm

I just said the robot because I forgot the GT robot's name. :P But if it's not him, then this could be interesting...
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
No.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:44 am

I've only had the chance to read very little of your fic, but I just wanted to comment and say that I thought it was well-written and interesting. It shows that you've put a lot of thought into it and the artwork you've posted is pretty darn impressive. I really like those sketches of the spaceship.
Trans rights, now!

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:07 am

Just noticed this yesterday......started reading......read till the latest chapter >< Gotta say, even though I really really hate GT, this is pretty good. Added it to my Alert List
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:17 am

Bumping with a little preview of what I'm currently working on:

What small stuff would you guys like to see after this drops sometime next week? GTR won't be my main focus in the coming month or so (though if easy enough, I hope to have another chapter out sooner than later anyway), but as always I'd like to fill the gap with something interesting. I could use suggestions.
deviantART
[thread]

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:24 pm

I would like to see Kid Goku's adventures around town. Or maybe a day at school for Pan to see how she's treated there?

Also, what is that? A compilation of chapters? I can't tell.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
No.

p123
Advanced Regular

Post by p123 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:24 pm

I would like to see the powers kept in check.

The improvement of Base/SSJ Goku is suggested to be small after reaching MSSJ over 7 years. IMO, Saiyans have pretty much reached their limit. Also I feel Chou Gohan should have kept his power up. Which causes problems, because it forces Gohan to be the lead power guy, at least for a while.

So if you want to increase Goku's power by a good margin and the others, I think they should all go the Chou route.

Make them all Chou versions of themselves, then introduce SSJ4 as a Pure Blooded Saiyan thing which would allow Goku/Vegeta to finally surpass Gohan.

Although all of that is not worth it if we get to see a SSJ3 Vegeta.

So I prefer

Chou Gohan = Chou Gohan

SSj3 Goku >= SSJ3 Vegeta, and Vegeta to take a 2nd in command kind of lead. The hatred gone, Vegeta's acceptance was all implied. Let it happen. Vegeta will be like the new Piccolo pretty much. Piccolo man he was freaking done in the Buu arc. Would be nice to see him relevant again, but that would interfere with the Goku/Vegeta bond.

Having Goku go kid again was a pretty good idea actually. I didn't mind it. Added to the series I thought.

Also, let Uub/Majuub fulfill his destiny.

Keep the powers in check until SSJ4 arrival. Which I didn't mind the concept, and it rather grew on me.

I liked the traveling the universe encountering different villians bit. That was a good idea.

Adult Gotenks please...

And that's probably it. Super 17 is silly, Dragons needs to be reworked. And if all of that was fixed I would be happy.

Also having Goku as a kid, you gotta nerf his power. Goku is like God, him being a lot weaker and being a child makes sense, you can't just have all these majin buu level powers floating around the universe everywhere. Abandon the progressively stronger mentality and save that for the final villians or something.