Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Laughable bad? Sad bad? Enraged bad?

Forget that last one. I do not get enraged at comic books and/or adaptations of comic books.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:07 pm

JAPPO wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:Less than one month, and I can see it and decide for myself. The wait is killing me. Even if it's "bad" I'll probably still enjoy it.
Mortal Kombat was by all means BAD, but it was still good.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I won't really know what Greg's main faults with it were until I read his review, but I won't mind if it's cheesy. I'm going in there expecting some laughs and kickass fights. The original source material isn't exactly Shakespeare, and I never expected the movie to be, either. Just entertaining, and I'm pretty easy to entertain.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:15 pm

Now that I think about it, Dragon Ball would be incredibly cheesy, if it were to pertain strictly to the manga. But then you have to change everything, like they have done with Evolution, and that causes internet RAAAAAAAAGE.

I suppose a movie for Dragon Ball is really just doomed. Although they've taken the route that would potentially garner more success, the backlash for this film is insane enough to cancel it out. It's kind of like something my friend said about Watchmen(which has received prase for adhering to the comic's script quite closely): "As a comic, it stands out from others. As a movie, it's just like any other superhero movie I've seen."
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:17 pm

Tsukento wrote:As for the whole "my opinion is the only one that matters to me" thing, the one problem that I see with it is that it kind of comes across as plugging one's ears and shouting "La la la la la" while someone tries to explain anything they might not like about the movie. Some folks (not saying anyone here in specific) have gone as far as to then say "Well you're a hater" or "You don't know what you're talking about. You're just being negative for the sake of it." once the other person finishes (except, saying that in the rudest of ways possible).
To be fair, though it's always important to be respectful towards people's opinions. We all know that when it comes to this movie no one's opinion really matters to us. No one's going to change their mind because someone else says so.

B wrote:Now that I think about it, Dragon Ball would be incredibly cheesy, if it were to pertain strictly to the manga. But then you have to change everything, like they have done with Evolution, and that causes internet RAAAAAAAAGE.

I suppose a movie for Dragon Ball is really just doomed. Although they've taken the route that would potentially garner more success, the backlash for this film is insane enough to cancel it out. It's kind of like something my friend said about Watchmen(which has received prase for adhering to the comic's script quite closely): "As a comic, it stands out from others. As a movie, it's just like any other superhero movie I've seen."
But DragonBall is not your like your typical American Super Hero comic. Most Anime and Manga really aren't, the style of story telling is far different. I think a faithful adaption of an Anime/Manga might be something more unique as far America goes. It may not break Box Office records, but this won't really either. The way they're doing it here just seems like typical Hollywood trying to cash in on a successful franchise, there's no respect for the source material. Just slapping a name on a script with a general concept.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:28 pm

That's what I'm saying. Whether you breach out to the casual movie-goer or keep hardcore fans happy, A "live action Dragon Ball Z movie" wasn't going to do so hot either way. But since there are more of Group A then there are of Group B, there's a potential chance of higher profit.

"Respecitng the source material" isn't required to adapt something, it's just preferred by most.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:31 pm

B wrote:That's what I'm saying. Whether you breach out to the casual movie-goer or keep hardcore fans happy, A "live action Dragon Ball Z movie" wasn't going to do so hot either way. But since there are more of Group A then there are of Group B, there's a potential chance of higher profit.

"Respecitng the source material" isn't required to adapt something, it's just preferred by most.
Maybe this is just me, but wouldn't something unique be better than stereotypical? I mean the way this looks so far it's like Spiderman 3 with 7 wish granting Balls.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Gozar wrote:
B wrote:That's what I'm saying. Whether you breach out to the casual movie-goer or keep hardcore fans happy, A "live action Dragon Ball Z movie" wasn't going to do so hot either way. But since there are more of Group A then there are of Group B, there's a potential chance of higher profit.

Maybe this is just me, but wouldn't something unique be better than stereotypical? I mean the way this looks so far it's like Spiderman 3 with 7 wish granting Balls.
Doesn't look a thing like that?
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:48 pm

I'd say it more resembles Lord of the Rings, but more modern and on a smaller scale.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:56 pm

Gozar wrote:

Sterotypes work because they are familiar to people. Look at the successes of the shitty "Genre Movies" that come out.

What I see killing DBE is probably campiness. And the fact it is PG. Unless it's Pixar, anything below PG-13 is never really considered "a hit."

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:00 pm

B wrote:Sterotypes work because they are familiar to people. Look at the successes of the shitty "Genre Movies" that come out.

What I see killing DBE is probably campiness. And the fact it is PG. Unless it's Pixar, anything below PG-13 is never really considered "a hit."
Yeah but new things are what start new stereotypes. :lol: I mean DragonBall has started a whole new Era of Manga. I hear some common Anime fans refer to DB as stereotypical, which isn't true. DB started the stereotype. It wasn't a stereotype when Toriyama wrote it, it was new and fresh. We need something to usher in a new feel to American Movies (namely adaptions).

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:11 pm

B wrote:Sterotypes work because they are familiar to people. Look at the successes of the shitty "Genre Movies" that come out.
Just to clear this up, they're far from successes. They manage to tank in ticket sales and end up being slammed universally by critics and average folks.

Why they keep making them is beyond anyone.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:16 pm

Just took a look at the new clips posted up on dbthemovie.com.

My thoughts? In a nutshell, it doesn't feel like anything original; in fact, with everything shown thus far, the film strikes me as a wonky rendition of Forbidden Kingdom. Not sure if that is a negative aspect, nonetheless, what I do know is that strangely, I enjoyed what was shown.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:43 pm

Man, I wish Justin Chatwin hadn't refused to show off his kamehameha pose all this time...

Someone could've told him he was doing it wrong... :roll:

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Looks like the ending has already leaked on the internet.
And I personally thought it was really bad. What a lousy ending...

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:11 pm

I have a small request, if anyone here is going to be posting spoilers I would greatly appreciate it if you would notify us of that within the first 1 to 2 sentences. I would really hate for the movie to be ruined for me before I even go see it.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:14 pm

Bura wrote:Looks like the ending has already leaked on the internet.

I have to agree, I mostly blame the dialogue though. Much cheese to be found in the whole "test of seven" thing.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:17 pm

MisterFlashDude wrote:Man, I wish Justin Chatwin hadn't refused to show off his kamehameha pose all this time...

Someone could've told him he was doing it wrong...
Yeah he really butchered it man. It's a shame too because it's such an easy thing to say. :? After seeing those 3 clips from the ending I gotta admit this movie is looking bad. Painfully bad. I can watch "The Wickerman" and get a good laugh but this is depressing.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Bura wrote:Looks like the ending has already leaked on the internet.

I have to agree, I mostly blame the dialogue though. Much cheese to be found in the whole "test of seven" thing.

Hmm where did you two see this? I am curious..
Trans rights, now!

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:22 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I have a small request, if anyone here is going to be posting spoilers I would greatly appreciate it if you would notify us of that within the first 1 to 2 sentences. I would really hate for the movie to be ruined for me before I even go see it.
Actually ... Could a brand new topic be created for those who have seen it or parts and want to discuss that? If at all possible the only in this topic could be news?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:24 pm

Wow, and the soundtrack has been leaked as well!
It's not too bad, it's too sad that it doesn't have some similarities to the anime score though.