Do you like GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:41 am

I think it was a terrible show, so no I don´t like it. I actually could stand GT many years ago but watching it again makes me realize how much it sucks.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:09 am

LeprikanGT wrote:Love it, love it, love it.

Its here, its not going anywhere and YES its counts.
Please don't force shit down other peoples throats, because at the end of the day, it does not count, it wasn't written by the orignal author, so we don't have to consider it a true part of the story if we don't want to.
I don't mind GT, it's watchable. I make sure to never compare it to Dragonball, otherwise, I realise how much it just pales in comparason.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Rory wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:Love it, love it, love it.

Its here, its not going anywhere and YES its counts.
Please don't force shit down other peoples throats, because at the end of the day, it does not count, it wasn't written by the orignal author, so we don't have to consider it a true part of the story if we don't want to.
I don't mind GT, it's watchable. I make sure to never compare it to Dragonball, otherwise, I realise how much it just pales in comparason.
I agree. Assuming Viz correctly translated Toriyama's farewell in the last DBZ volume, he says, "From now on, you'll have to look into their world with your own eyes."

Since GT wasn't written by Toriyama, it's not as solid as anything he writes, but if you want GT to count in YOUR eyes, then it's okay. But not everyone may have the same point of "view."
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:11 pm

I think I would have liked GT more if it focused on team efforts. Like Goku and Vegeta finally being a cohesive unit. Trunks and Goten still being a team (why no Gotenks?).

I don't really care for Pan at all, but I like Gill, he is ok.

And if General Rildo is stronger than Buu, how come Freeza never noticed him? Freeza was the intergalactic ruler.

I don't really mind the character designs. Vegeta's hair cut aside, his new outfit is pretty cool, and it's my second favorite outfit of his behind Cell Saga Armor.

For the most part, I found the Black Star stuff pretty boring. The Baby stuff, which I had never seen until now is ok so far. I kinda like the Super 17 stuff, although it makes NO sense. And I have only seen maybe 3-5 episodes of the Evil Dragon stuff, so I can't give you an opinion on that yet.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:17 pm

I liked the fact that it moved at a decent pace and had some good animation. As others have said if you just turn your brain off it's a good time.
I would never treat it as canon though.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:29 pm

I dig it, especially the second half. Like many others it took me a long while to be able to enjoy it though. Back when I first got into DB, I would read about it, and I expected it to be something it just wasn't.

It's still fun on the same level as many of the movies. I like some of the character designs and redesigns quite a bit. Mr. Satan's giant head is hilarious.

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:39 pm

I realy like GT, almost as much as Z.

It has a good plot, characters, and very good animation.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:17 pm

I love it if you ignore the plotholes. If you don't ignore the plotholes I still love it. It looks shiny, has amazing music and is a continuation of DB. What more could a boy want?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:22 pm

jda95 wrote:What more could a boy want?
Please don't tempt me.

Anyway...
JBoogie wrote:Do you like GT?
No.

:P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:25 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
Please don't tempt me.
I don't like you! :P

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:29 pm

More shots of Vegeta in those tight pants?

wait

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:31 pm

If I had to complain about the story, it'd be that the Baby Saga is the Frieza Saga's younger brother. After Goku is sent to Sugoroku Space, the story began to drag.

And Baby Vegeta is extremely ugly. WHy couldn't he stay like this:
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Rocketman wrote:
jda95 wrote:What more could a girl/gay boy want?
More shots of Vegeta in those tight pants?
Took me a while, but I managed to get it fixed.

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:32 pm

I easily liked GT. Its plot kept me very interested, but like people have said, as long as not too much thought is put into it. The theme songs and music were easily WAY better than DB and early DBZ (before Buu), and it didn't take 30-some episodes to get done with one fight (looking straight at the Freeza fight). Overall, I felt the pacing to be much better than DBZ and I rank it second best (after DBZ's Buu arc).

midoco13

Post by midoco13 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:36 pm

I really enjoyed GT. It was actually the first of the three series I ever watched.

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:54 pm

I enjoyed the GT series mainly for the villains (and their cool designs), the different style of action, the fresh new animation (although still inferior to DB and DBZ, in my opinion), and the wonderfully outrageous plots (that made me chuckle when I first watched it).

But I mostly enjoyed the GT series for it's awesome soundtrack. I wonder why we haven't seen an official CD soundtrack release yet.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:57 pm

My favorite Baby appearance is actually the way he looks when he first appears, you know, he actually looks like a baby.
Sorry, it was the only image I could find. But yeah, he was just so creepy in this state, he should have stayed this way. Also his Japanese voice is so creeptastic it's awesome.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:51 pm

It was ok-ish. I didn`t really like the whole Goku is a kid again. It felt really forced... And by GT I was already used to adult Goku. Also I didn`t really like how Trunks acted... So that pretty much killed it for me.

DB and DBZ are better.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:53 pm

I like and enjoy GT. It introduces some elements that I enjoyed (such as The Black Star DragonBall Galaxy Hunt, The Dragons Saga) even if the execution of said elements could have been done better.

I've always liked the DragonBall style of things, so having a child Goku didn't hurt me. Nor does it hurt me that he's got the spotlight in the show, since he's actually my favourite character...

I liked the conclusive ending.

Didn't like Pan. Liked Gill/Giru.

The series' Japanese score and soundtrack (as said times before) is fantastic, and the best IMO of the three. Other then some pieces (mainly character themes) from the other two.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:45 pm

B wrote:and the impossibilty of a Super Saiyan 4
Just out of curiosity, what makes it impossible?