All-time favorite episodes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

All-time favorite episodes

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 pm

What are you all-time top five favorite episodes and why?

I'll post mine tomorrow when I come back in.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:42 pm

Don't know their original names or their numbers, but FUNimation's "I Kill No More" and "The Evil of Men". Buu Saga episodes. They're actually the only episodes whose names I bother to remember. Those, "Goku's Trump Card", and "Spirit Bomb Triumphant".

Also, all Karin Tower episodes in original Dragon Ball; Commander Red and King Piccolo Sagas.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:49 pm

Pretty sure I've watched DBZ 184 more than any other episode, and specifically the last half of it.

It's not just "the big scene" that gets me, though... it's the entire build-up. Everything from Mr. Satan talking with #16's head for a quarter of an episode to all the characters getting their asses handed to them to Gohan finally snapping out of his usual "I'm such a pussy!" charade... everything's so great.

What I really love about (at least this half of) the episode is how it's mostly silent. With the exception of some music when Mr. Satan's finally running closer with #16 with explosions in the background and then the vocal song at the end (and that awesome foreboding tune, the first part of "An'un Uzumaku Namekku-Sei", when Mr. Satan actually tosses over the head, which then turns to complete silence), there are some good, long stretches with absolutely no music and sparse dialogue.

I hate to have to say it (and it should be obvious from the linked clips), but I'm specifically referring to the Japanese version of the episode (sans-blaring tunes, and sans-forced-monologue).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:44 am

Dragonball Z episode 279: "Seize the future! The Big Battle over the universe."

This is the episode where the battle between Goku and Kid Buu begins. Surprisingly, the battle is entirely filler-- Goku never fought Kid Buu at SSJ2 in the manga. However, it is by far my favorite battle in the entire series from an animation standpoint.

-Excellent choreography
-Fast-paced and relentless once the fight gets started
-Amazing art and animation provided by Studio Cockpit

This episode clearly boasted a high budget. Quite frankly, I love any episode done by Studio Cockpit, but this was the best of them in my eyes. The art has a different style from Toriyama's original drawings, with thicker, more distinct lines and longer limbs on characters. Personally, I LIKE these changes-- the artwork of all the Studio Cockpit episodes exceed the original manga drawings.

Basically, I rank the quality of episodes in terms of their budget and animation. Simply put, if I was watching it simply for the story, I would stick to the manga. So, essentially I am saying that yes, I would rank many well-animated filler episodes far above episodes pertinent to the plot with horrid artwork. Sadly, this series has many of those.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:02 am

Episode 25, Sacrifice. I think that Ten is freakin awesome even though he dies. Episode 30 is also up there on my list.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:19 am

I don't know the episode number, but the one where Piccolo and Goku learn to drive.

:D
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:30 am

Vegetto EX, that was the exact same as my favourite episode.

I only just recently saw it for the first time in Japanese (took me way too long), and it basically blew my mind.

But for me, I'm not a complicated guy. It's mostly about the big moment for me. :oops:

The music, just that click when everything changes, the raw emotion in the screaming, it's all just perfect for me.

If that is all kept intact in this refresh, with HD animation and such, then that will make it all worthwhile.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:59 pm

Z #120: Furiza wo Itto Ryodan!! Mou Hitori no Supa Saiya-jin/Another Super Saiyan?

Granted this is a badass episode, but it is also the reason that I am still a Dragonball fan. I watched the show through when it originally aired on Toonami, but when it showed the preview the Garlic Junior stuff right after the last Freeza episode, I just stopped. I was pretty young and even I knew that it sucked. Being young, I wasn't able to research or realize that this would be short-term, so for a good amount of time, I didn't watch. One morning, just flipping through I found this episode playing on the Rising Sun block. I recognized Freeza and my eyes were glued. It completely re-invigorated my Dragonball Fandom, and it is the reason that I am fortunate enough to still be a fan. Plus this was one of the few occasions where I feel that the dub music truly played to the mood just right.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:16 pm

The Z episode "Time Struggle" as known in FUNi's version. It was the first Japanese DB episode I saw, and it was on the I-channel, which is a plus. GT episodes 42, 46, 3, and any episode in the Evil Dragon arc. Also, episodes in the Buu arc of Z.
GT is underrated and the International Channel will always be my favorite channel for foreign programming. I still miss it.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:21 pm

EVERY episode of Dragon Ball/Z

:lol:

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:52 pm

DBZ episode 31, Japanese version, or the "remastered" Orange Box version. The fight is so fast paced, so epic.. The beam struggle is awesome, and the music totally sets the mood. Even after seeing this episode over ten times, I'm still practically sitting on the edge of my seat during this one.

Also DB episode 144. Another great fight and epic beam struggle. Minus the stupid "I'm gonna do a Super Kamehameha! Wait, no I'm not. No.. Yes I am!" part. That was silly. But it's still my favorite ep in DB.
"Welcome to Sex Ed. May all your dreams come true."

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:35 pm

Episode 101, which does an amazing turnover from one of the happiest scenes in the series, Tenshinhan being celebrated as thevictor of the 22nd Budoukai, to one of the saddest, Goku discovering Kuririn's corpse. The music does a great job invoking happiness and sorrow in the audience, and the way it does such an extreme switch really cements this episode down as one of the most memorable in the series.

Episode 103 and 104 of Z are another favorite (these two really have to be taken as one), going from Goku's cool little speech to Freeza, through one of the most action-filled parts of the Freeza battle with the homing discs, up to Freeza's begging for his life at the end. Just amazing.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:51 pm

I dunno if you count TV specials as episodes, but A Hero's Legacy is definitely an all time favorite. When Goku Jr. breaks down and Goku tells him his error gets me every time.

Goku Jr.> Puck was right, it's just a fairy tale!
Goku> You have to collect all 7 dragon balls for it to work, silly.

I've probably watched that special more than any thing DB related I own.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:02 pm

That too. ^^^

Don't forget "Damnit!"
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Hm... GT episode 64. *starts to sob* ... THIS IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!! ºOº

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:12 pm

DBZ 031 - Vegeta's Gyaric-Ho(sp?) vs Goku's Kamehame-Ha ('nuff said) then Vegeta goes ape at the end of the episode.
DBZ 034 - Vegeta gets hit with the Genki Dama and lives. Just an all-around good action ep.
DBZ 120 - Freeza gets cut in half, very cool...
DBZ 130 - Big Bang Attack
DBZ 162 - Final Flash
DBZ 184 - for reasons mentioned above...
DBZ 219 - Gohan's transformation at the tournament
DBZ 245 - Super Saiyan 3
DBZ 268 - Goku and Vegeta -> Vegetto

I know I'm picking 9 eps, but its tough to narrow it down. There are PLENTY of good eps I like that I'm leaving out, and I'm only thinking about DBZ, not to mention just plain ol' Dragonball!
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Mine is episodes #129 and #130 in the original. I believe it is entitled "Upgrade to Super Saiyan", and “The Secret of Dr. Gero”. I love these episodes because it was the first time Vegeta transformed into a Super Saiyan and bitch slapped #19 with ease. He was the top dog at that time and he made sure people knew it. Vegeta had a hell of a swagger back then.

From Dragonball GT I will have to say it was episodes #59 named "Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta".

We also cannot forget the episode where Kakarrot turns Super Saiyan 5. :D
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:45 pm

My favorite episode:
DBZ #28:Saiya-jin no Mōi! Kami-sama mo Pikkoro mo Shinda
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:12 pm

My favorite few episodes have always been the first few when #19 and #20 appear and we see Vegeta as a Super Saiyan for the first time.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:29 am

Ohh... I have a few.
I love the whole series, but I'll pick a few episode numbers.

The first very memorable episode for me would be episode 86, when Vegeta dies for the first time. I have a couple of reasons; Vegeta cries (very profound for me) for Goku to get revenge for him and their people, Freeza finishes Vegeta (bring home the point of how powerful Freeza really is), and we get a little insight into the destruction of planet Vegeta a~la we see Bardock.
There also one little fact I'm leaving out, Goku finally arrives. Up to this point in the story, the first time I went through this stuff, I hated Goku. Then when he finally came to the aide of his friends I was so glad to see him. Why? Everyone was pretty much doomed at this point of the fight, but when Goku finally arrived it was just a relief and I was ready to cheer on my hero.
The second episode that comes to mind would be 160, Cell is complete and Gohan becomes a Super Saiyajin. Our heroes/friends have been in some deep trouble before but they have always had Goku. But for me this is the first time they are WAY over their heads. Cell in his perfect form is well perfect and no one is really superior at this point to him, not even Vegeta, Trunks, or Goku. You really get the feeling that they have no shot at saving the universe.
On the hopeful side, Gohan has become a Super Saiyajin. The episode really becomes a milestone for us, the viewers, and Gohan in terms of "look how far we've come," as my friend said years ago. Right before Gohan transformed he goes back into his memories and recalls all of his "failures" on the battle field. In the dub I found his transformation much more profound. Gohan said something to the effect of "Piccolo, Kuririn, and dad are all counting on ME. If I don't become stronger I'm going to lose them all!!!" Everything changes from this point on.
My final one would be my favorite scene in all of Anime, episode 188.
Cell is about to blow up Earth. Everyone thinks it's over, and you can't help but feel bad for Gohan. But never count Goku out. He turns and looks out to the world and in that instant he knows what he has to do.
He says good-bye to his friends, and then teleports to say good bye to his son. "I'm proud of you son," and he was gone. Everyone felt like they lost something, whether it be a father, best friend, or a competent rival you felt the loss. I know every time I see that I feel like my best friend passed away. Then I start regretting all those times I hated Goku or felt annoyed by him. It felt like not tell your best you loved him/her before he/she died.
But hey, that's the Goku we all know and love.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"