Thoughts On Donations?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Nah, I like that most of the avatars here are almost identical in size. I think allowing some exceptions would affect the "neat and tidy" look of the forum.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Joshua

Post by Joshua » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:20 pm

Put it between The Podcast and CONTACT US! sections on the right. Like, right above CONTACT US!, write DONATE or something. Or just do the Paypal button thing.

Really, only a prude would think negatively of Daizex for allowing or even asking for donations.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:53 pm

VegettoEX wrote:As an example, something that came up a couple episodes ago recording lo-fidelity with Jeff and Brad was that Brad asked people to go give the show reviews on iTunes. I said that I'm absolutely against asking people to do that. If people are genuine in their enjoyment and WANT to do that, they will go ahead and do that. I personally feel that it's ridiculous to ASK PEOPLE to give you reviews, since the honesty is then completely compromised and swayed in favor of what you want. Sure, donations aren't the same as reviews, but I take it back to the "transparency" and honesty that I mentioned in the first post.
Not to go too off topic but, from the sounds of it, asking people to review the show on iTunes doesn't sound so bad. Maybe some people didn't know they could do that, and now that they do they would like to review it. It's not like people are going to do it if they don't actually want to. And besides, is it really any different to plugging sites and podcasts on the DaizenshuuEX Podcast?

More on topic, I wouldn't be opposed to a donate button. I've never donated to a site before. But then I've never used and enjoyed a site and its resources as regularly as I do this one, so I can see myself donating here.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:20 am

Hey, everyone:

Thanks so much for your input. We have decided to move forward with the "Donate" button and all related aspects. I have put together the first draft of the page on the website, and I was hoping you would review it and let me know what you think. Do you still have any concerns? Is something not clear? Let me know!

http://www.daizex.com/interaction/donate/

In terms of the home page, it will look something like this:

After a few responses and it sounds like everything's good, I will go ahead and add it to the home page of the website.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:34 am

I don't think it could possibly be any less intrusive.

I was expecting something bigger, and more noticable. Not because I thought that was the route you'd take, I'm just used to seeing bigger ones.

Like on Sluggy Freelance..... not that I hold that against them at all!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:58 am

It seems to blend in nicely, as if it was always there.
What we have decided to do is have a little fun with the contributions and recognition. This page will be updated any time something is purchased with donations, and we will not only list the people who contributed to the purchase of said item (unless they wish to remain anonymous, which is completely fine), but we will give the item a name in their honor. For example, one of the new items may be "The GokuEX Memorial Microphone Boom Stand". We will refer to it as such any time it is mentioned, rather than you have to deal with us asking for donations time and time again.
That seems like a good idea. That's kinda like what city's and towns do with donations, like when they name a library after someone or a wing in a hospital.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:39 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:It seems to blend in nicely, as if it was always there.
What we have decided to do is have a little fun with the contributions and recognition. This page will be updated any time something is purchased with donations, and we will not only list the people who contributed to the purchase of said item (unless they wish to remain anonymous, which is completely fine), but we will give the item a name in their honor. For example, one of the new items may be "The GokuEX Memorial Microphone Boom Stand". We will refer to it as such any time it is mentioned, rather than you have to deal with us asking for donations time and time again.
That seems like a good idea. That's kinda like what city's and towns do with donations, like when they name a library after someone or a wing in a hospital.
Hah, yeah, it is a good idea.

But would we absolutely have to go with out User ID? :P

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:49 pm

I love the way you've handled that, Mike. You've also set up the perks system pretty well. I think you've done a great job. It's not intruding at all, and I've gotten used to it being there, despite it not being there yet. :D

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Very subtle and non-intrusive on the main page, which is perfect. And the benefits idea is very interesting!

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:16 am

For example, one of the new items may be "The GokuEX Memorial Microphone Boom Stand". We will refer to it as such any time it is mentioned, rather than you have to deal with us asking for donations time and time again.
Does that mean the podcast and forum are the godofchaos Memorial DaizenshuuEX Podcast and Forum?

Kidding, kidding....

godofchaos memorial magazine rack?

I like the way the button is. I went for something even more low key for funds from my server/forum, and it sorta... doesn't work that well.

http://withthewill.net/index.php

There are 2 donate buttons integrated very well into the forum, to the extent no one notices them. Next redesign might try and improve that (in fact...the portal doesn't even have a donate button).

I think it integrates with all the little links and things on the right side very well and think its a good way to add a donation button without 'ruining' the look of the site. Kudos on that.

SweetCosmicPope
Beyond Newbie

Post by SweetCosmicPope » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:02 pm

I'm going to post my two cents, albeit a little late.

Personally, I won't pay. You're right that the economic times are a little tough, right now, and I think to pay for a silly, albeit super-cool, website would be a little unfair to myself and my family, and there are plenty of other ways for me to waste time. I fully support anybody else who wants to pay, however.

That being said, assuming we start giving "privileges" to those who do decide to donate, I would hope they would be bonus privileges. That is not taking away priveleges of the regular user unless they want to pay. I haven't visited IGN in ages, due to this.

Good luck with the website, of course, and I certainly encourage anybody who has to means, as well as the desire, to donate.
"That's Peter Grave's Scat! I'd recognize it anywhere!" - The Film Crew

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:57 pm

SweetCosmicPope wrote:That being said, assuming we start giving "privileges" to those who do decide to donate, I would hope they would be bonus privileges. That is not taking away priveleges of the regular user unless they want to pay.
There are absolutely zero special privileges. The "Donate" page pretty clearly outlines this.

I totally understand your lack of a desire to donate anything, and I certainly don't hold it against anyone. At least on our end, hopefully we've had it as absolutely unobtrusive as possible (while still making it halfway visible).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

plusloud

Post by plusloud » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:45 am

Maybe if you put a question mark at the end?
Umm... just call me Remy, already. :p

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:24 pm

Just donated 10 dollars :)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:03 pm

SWEET. Nicely handled, EX.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:24 pm

I don't watch television. The internet is my primary source of entertainment (along with video games). I know that every week I can sit down, relax and listen to you guys talk about my favourite anime. I've been a regular listener since the podcast began, and you have delivered 160+ hours of free entertainment. A donation of a few dollars is nothing compared to the effort and commitment you guys put into the show every week.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:06 pm

Hmmm....

The "Big Momma Boom Mic" has a nice ring to it...

:P
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:05 am

This is a good idea. It would be cool if people that had the money to donate did as this site is the best DBZ site, especially for doing features on purchased products. :D Coming from a person who won't donate anything you shouldn't think otherwise as if I had the kind of money to donate I would, (try living in South London), I don't even have a credit card, so you know what type of person I am, living at home with my parents with no income, still, I don't give, I don't ask, however, I am generous and if I was in a position to donate I would. 8)
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:06 am

This is a good idea. It helps you guys in several ways:
1.) You can buy stuff for the podcast, and not kill you wallets.
2.) Let the fans help you out. You give us websites, podcasts, AMVs, and just awesomeness in general for free. Help us help you in giving back to our community.
3.) At least for me, donating should be a nice incentive to keep up the good work on everything you do.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"