The logo

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

The logo

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:33 am

Seems to me recently the Kanzenshuu logo has slightly changed a bit. No mention of the change on the main website.

Although the "K" pays homage to the original Daizenshuu EX logo, the current and previous logos looks identical to the "Kanzentai" one. Any thoughts and share the logo history?
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: The logo

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Yeah, I noticed this yesterday. There's a new icon in the tab bar for Chrome, too. I like it.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:20 pm

I think it looks pretty cool! I hope it was inspired by Dragon Ball's resurgence and new material. New material after 18 years, new logo. :D

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:50 pm

I don't hate the new logo, but changing the color on the K does cause it to feel significantly more disjointed than those that came beforehand. To balance it, I feel like the rest of the logo should either be brought in front of the K (and moved a bit closer) or reverse the italics to slant the opposite direction. Because right now it kinda seems like "Anzenshuu" with a Dragon Ball and moonspeak before it.

Any particular reason for slipping the stylized "人" into the K?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:24 pm

Yes, we did update the logo yesterday. I've been working on it for a little while now, and decided this weekend would be a good time to roll it out. You usually won't see us start a thread or make a news post about something like this on the main site. The only reason it really came about was because we did not have a higher resolution version of the previous logo to use. The highest resolution we had for the original logo design was what was featured on the main website, which at the time was fine, but now really limits what we can do with it. With this redesign I honestly wasn't really going for a homage to anything, just did some minor tweaks and updates. I didn't want to go too far from the original logo design, mostly for brand recognition reasons, even though I could have done whatever I wanted.

When I originally designed the Kanzenshuu logo back in 2011, it went through numerous iterations, some of which looked absolutely nothing like what we ended up with. Fortunately I didn't save any of these designs. My original intention was to try to combine the two site's logos, but eventually I abandoned this idea because I was having too many issues trying to get it to look halfway decent and instead just started throwing stuff at the wall to see what I liked. I eventually decided on a font and created the logo, which at first was just the "Kanzenshuu" text as it appeared in the original logo. The logo stayed that way for most of our site development work, but it just always seemed to plain. So, I added the Four-Star Ball in front of the "K", but then it made the front seem too overpowered with color. I messed around with a few ideas, but soon settled on the swoosh in the background. It served the purpose of adding additional color to the logo, making it stand out a little better, and filled in the space gap above the lettering.

This new design is entirely, well, new. While it's based on the old design, I completely remade it from the ground up. It's a new font, new letter spacing, new Dragon Ball, new swoosh, and a stylized "K". I decided to go with a stylized "K" this time to essentially create a secondary logo we could use for other things, like for Twitter, Facebook, and the Favicon, that is still visually tied back to the original full logo (if that makes sense). The "K" was split like that for fun while I was messing around with it, and I liked it. There's no real reason other than that, and it turned into a convenient place to just slip the Dragon Ball in-between the two pieces. There's also no "moonspeak" or stylized Japanese kanji. I honestly didn't even see that it might look like that until it was pointed out, and really I'm not too sure most people would think that right off the bat unless it was pointed out. To me it just looks like a "K". But I'm definitely open to critiques, and I'll try to explain my thought process as needed.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:50 am

I really dig the logo and all the updated branding!

My only thing, which is an easy fix, is that I now have two of the same "K" next to each other on my bookmark bar because the forum favicon is the same as the site proper. If, though, it wasn't a slip and the same favicon will be used for everything, then it's easy enough for me to just scrap the forum bookmark.

Great work, Heath!
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks! The plan is to have different favicons for each, but I just haven't had a chance to make them yet.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:56 am

Hujio wrote:Thanks! The plan is to have different favicons for each, but I just haven't had a chance to make them yet.
..That was fast :P

I like the new logo, gives off a nice feeling of freshness.