What is the Xenoverse series equivalent to?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

What is the Xenoverse series equivalent to?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:46 pm

If DBZ fighting games have anything it's that they're (usually) quite innovative but they all, like most games, get inspiration somewhere else:

The Budokai games are like the franchise's answer to Tekken/Virtua Fighter but for fans of the series.

Super DBZ and the old Super Famicon games are equivalent to Street Fighter (the former was even made by those people for those people in mind).

The Budokai Tenkaichi games and it's spiritual successor Raging Blast are like Virtual-On/Zone of Enders (the hidden Vs. Mode).

What game franchise is Xenoverse supposedly based on and how is it? If not based on a game then I guess DImps wanted to be completely original.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Re: What is the Xenoverse series equivalent to?

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:48 am

I'd say gameplay-wise, it is similar to the Budokai Tenkaichi & Raging Blast series.
I think cutscene-wise, definitely Budokai 1.
As for plot, obviously borrowed from Dragon Ball Online.

But, to answer your question, would it be out of the realm of possibility to say Chrono Trigger?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:45 am

The Sonic Adventure of the series.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:22 pm

I guess XV could be like Dissidia: Final Fantasy, a weird experimental fighter/rpg hybring. That connection is a bit weak though, I can't really think of anything quite like XV.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:20 pm

Budokai an answer to Virtua Fighter? I don't see any similarities in terms of gameplay. :eh:

Sidenote; Virtua Fighter 3 still the GOAT 3D fighting game for me.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:37 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:The Budokai games are like the franchise's answer to Tekken/Virtua Fighter but for fans of the series.
:lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:

That comparison is just... all sorts of wrong. Not least of which because Tekken and Virtua Fighter's gameplay aren't bogged down to the gills with pointless quicktime event-like mini games that interrupt the fight every five seconds (Dragon Rush and whatnot). To say nothing of Budokai's completely shallow and utter lack of anything resembling a real in depth fighting engine.

This almost feels like the fighting game equivalent of comparing The Godfather with Jane Austen's Mafia simply because both films feature characters who are involved in organized crime.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Super DBZ and the old Super Famicon games are equivalent to Street Fighter (the former was even made by those people for those people in mind).
Super DBZ plays NOTHING at all even VAGUELY like Street Fighter. Its a full bore 3D fighting game for one, whereas Street Fighter's always been 2D. Their mechanics and overall style of play have absolutely zero in common whatsoever. People make the SF comparison for Super DBZ all the time based solely on the fact that Noritaka Funamizu worked on the game and that there are quarter circle and half circle motions involved in the gameplay (something incredibly basic which almost damn near EVERY single fighting game that's worth half a damn has). That's an utterly incorrect and thuddingly shallow assumption, and I genuinely think that the people who often assert it are people who have never or barely ever played a Street Fighter game in their lives and just chalk it up as "Oh hey, former Capcom designer + actual fighting game motions therefore MUST = Street Fighter!". Could not be further from the case.

If Super DBZ plays like anything at all, it plays like a Budokai game from an alternate/parallel universe where those games don't suck and have actual legitimate depth and serious combat mechanics to their name.

The Super Famicom/Super Butouden games meanwhile play like almost NOTHING else I can conceivably think of, with their split screen/long distance based combat. The Butouden games, for all their flaws and virtues, are an island of uniqueness unto themselves. Hyper Dimension is as close to a traditional SFII-like DBZ fighting game as you'll find on the SNES, and even that has giant sectioned off levels where some sections allow for totally free flying.

The one and only true, 100% traditional 2D fighting game in the Street Fighter mold that we've ever gotten out of Dragon Ball to date is the 2nd arcade title, Dragon Ball Z2: Super Battle (which is criminally underrated and underplayed by most fans these days).
DBZAOTA482 wrote:The Budokai Tenkaichi games and it's spiritual successor Raging Blast are like Virtual-On/Zone of Enders (the hidden Vs. Mode).
This at least makes quite a bit more sense as a comparison.

Another comparison I've often used for the Tenkaichi/Sparking games are the two Dragon Ball Idainaru Densetsu games on the PC Engine and PS1/Sega Saturn. The Tenkaichi/Sparking games in many ways feel very much of a piece with those two games (trying their best to duplicate the style of fighting in the series with total free range of movement rather than try to feel anything at all like a traditional fighter), except without the innovative "Power Balance" system or the simultaneous team play of the second game (DBZ Legends)
DBZAOTA482 wrote:What game franchise is Xenoverse supposedly based on and how is it? If not based on a game then I guess DImps wanted to be completely original.
Hardly. Xenoverse essentially plays like a take on the old Sparking/Raging Blast "DBZ Sim" formula, but with the added wrinkle of being able to create your own original characters and have them learn techniques from the series cast of characters, as well as having its own original plotline rather than adapting straight from the manga/anime source for the 90 billionth time.

Its certainly a neat combo on paper, but I certainly wouldn't call it stunningly original, as there've been tons and tons of DBZ Sim-style games already, and the idea of creating your own character and customizing their moveset is hardly anything overwhelmingly new either.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:53 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Budokai an answer to Virtua Fighter? I don't see any similarities in terms of gameplay. :eh:

Both have a combat system depend heavily on memorizing a lengthy list of combos and have a button specifically for guard. There's a bunch of other similarities but I don't feel like going into them.

There's more parallel between Budokai and Tekken.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:15 pm

I never played it but it sounds similar to Monster Hunter to me. Just replace the monsters with Dragon Ball characters and make the fights 30 minutes shorter.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:12 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Stuff
I don't think it's fair to knock the combat in Budokai for Dragon Rush (even though it's a terrible mechanic and everyone agrees) and such considering it's gameplay doesn't even revolve around that stuff. They're just gimmicks to spice things up for casual experience... Budokai is easily one of the most technical DBZ fighters otherwise but I digress.

I would've added in Mortal Kombat as well due to the dial-up combo system (though Super DBZ's is much more primitive) but Street Fighter I think works too because it has the same joystick motion inputs for Super/Ultimate moves (and no, Tekken's motions work differently), has various call-backs to SF (like Goku's Dragon Punch), and has a very similar neutral game.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:12 pm

This entire thread seems like a desperate attempt to legitimize shitty DB fighters by equating them to actually, you know, good games.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:This entire thread seems like a desperate attempt to legitimize shitty DB fighters by equating them to actually, you know, good games.
Get outta here if you're just coming to hate.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:48 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:This entire thread seems like a desperate attempt to legitimize shitty DB fighters by equating them to actually, you know, good games.
Try coming up with a better argument than "they both use buttons and sometimes make circles," and perhaps that will inspire people to put more effort into the ridiculously repetitive threads you crank out all the time. Kunzait made a perfectly good post above, and you just blew him off. Why should we take nonsensical threads seriously when there is absolutely no effort put into them by the author?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Try coming up with a better argument than "they both use buttons and sometimes make circles," and perhaps that will inspire people to put more effort into the ridiculously repetitive threads you crank out all the time. Kunzait made a perfectly good post above, and you just blew him off. Why should we take nonsensical threads seriously when there is absolutely no effort put into them by the author?
I didn't blow him off... I responded to what he said, but honestly nobody would feel assed to respond to every little detail in all his wall-of-text posts.

I compared Budokai to Tekken/Virtua Fighter because it's gameplay revolves around memorizing a laundry list of combo moves and strings per character with pseudo 3D movements just like those games. Also just like Virtua Fighter there is no jumping maneuvers along with having a button specifically for guarding and in the first Budokai you can stay down on the ground like Tekken by holding down.

I also compared Super DBZ (and to a lesser extent, the old Super Famicon games) to Street Fighter because it has similar joystick motion inputs for Super/Ultimate moves, shares many elements (like the way how Super/Ultimate moves work), and tidbits (like Goku's Dragon Punch which resembles Shoryuken), and the overall combo system (like jumping attack can hitstun an opponent to link into a ground combo).

I also compared Tenkaichi to Zone of Enders (vs mode)/Virtual-On due to the 360° 3D combat with an over-the-shoulder camera style and really simple, easy-to-pull-off combos.

Lastly, you sound angry sir... like I've did you something wrong.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:37 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Budokai an answer to Virtua Fighter? I don't see any similarities in terms of gameplay. :eh:

Both have a combat system depend heavily on memorizing a lengthy list of combos and have a button specifically for guard. There's a bunch of other similarities but I don't feel like going into them.

Eh.

Tekken plays like diet Viruta Fighter since Namco just copies Sega, but I can't really see adding Budokai to that equation. A lot of fighting games have dial-a-combos and block buttons. I agree with Kunzait that it is too vague to make a comparison.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:

Eh.

Tekken plays like diet Viruta Fighter since Namco just copies Sega, but I can't really see adding Budokai to that equation. A lot of fighting games have dial-a-combos and block buttons. I agree with Kunzait that it is too vague to make a comparison.
That's true, but combos are the meat of Virtua Fighter and there's a lot to memorize just like Budokai (only Budokai has projectile moves and power gauge system). Also, doesn't Virtua Fighter have combos with guard breaking properties as well?
fadeddreams5 wrote:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:22 am

You wouldn't compare it to other MMOs? I guess if we were allowed to play as the Time Breakers I'd say Warcraft.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Doctor. wrote:The Sonic Adventure of the series.
Why do you say that? I really don't see the resemblance.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:59 pm

simtek34 wrote:
It's that one series that's complete garbage but somehow keeps getting praised as the savior and pinnacle of the franchise for some reason.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:20 pm

Doctor. wrote:
simtek34 wrote:
It's that one series that's complete garbage but somehow keeps getting praised as the savior and pinnacle of the franchise for some reason.
Not a fan of Xenoverse, I'm assuming? :P

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:49 pm

Doctor. wrote:
simtek34 wrote:
But I like Sonic Adventure -Big the Cat. Not SA2 that much, everybody says it's the best Sonic game ever but to me, it's just really overrated.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34