Episode #0306 (05 August 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0306 (05 August 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:58 am

Episode #0306 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
57:14; 96 kbps, mono; 39.5 MB

Episode #0306! VegettoEX drags Julian all the way from Japan for a casual, in-person conversation about music in the series. How did the theme and insert songs evolve over a decade? Did the lyrics and compositions evolve along with the series? How did the shift to pop songs for GT affect fan response? A bit of news catch-up and translation talk rounds out the episode! Referenced sites:
Enjoy!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0306 (05 August 2012)

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:41 am

Wha-! Didn't realize you've started video podcats till just now!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:23 am

The YouTube link above? I wouldn't call that a "video podcast". It's just a static image for the duration of the show. Just trying to reach a new audience (people who only know to look for things on YouTube).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:32 pm

So, I was wrong a little bit about the GT songs: while "Don't You See" made it to #1 on the Oricon charts, and "Hitori ja Nai" only made it to #3, "DAN DAN Kokoro Hikarete 'ku" also made it to #1 following its release. That said, that last is probably the most associated with Dragon Ball of the GT songs, perhaps because it's the opening theme.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:43 am

Personally, I always wanted to call them the "Ginyu Rangers".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:17 am

Ginyu Rangers. X3
Go go Ginyu Rangers~! You mighty morphin Ginyu Rangerrrrrs.
The giant glowing head would be Freeza and the little robot guy would be Appule.

Ah, I'm feeling silly tonight.

This podcast made me really want to check out the new updated lyrics section! I'd forgotten about the cats; they're fun to hear in the background. :3

The teaser has me so excited for the movie, more so than I thought it would. The clincher is that they have Goku battle-smiling at the end of it. I think if he didn't break serious-face and smile at the end, it wouldn't have hit me. The rest of it was just typical vague teaser, and then that happens and suddenly it's 10 years ago and I'm all hyped up.

I almost wish I didn't know Shounen Jump Japan has a website with previews of the next week's issue; I've been checking back there each week hoping to see a hint that there will be new news on the movie coming soon.

Also, it's been so long since Kai (well, it feels it) that now when the topic of the "Saiyan Blood" song comes up, I automatically think of EX's tweet about "Saiyan Brad" first before Vegeta's vocals.
His "Cooking Hell" will always be a favorite though. Cooking is so math-y, it fits that Vegeta'd probably be good at it.

And oh my a Goku and Vegeta fusion song! Them singing a duet in-character would be one of the greatest DB-related music-presents. Both because of the characters and the fact that Vegeta's a pretty good singer while Goku's singing is Goku. XD