Episode #0332 (28 April 2013)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0332 (28 April 2013)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:36 am

Episode #0332 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (YouTube version)
53:28; 96 kbps, mono; 36.9 MB

Episode #0332! VegettoEX and Julian dive back in to the "Hoko x Tate" experience. How did the actual program go? Did the expert fans overtake the expert production staff, and what kinds of questions were tossed back and forth? Tune in and follow along with the quiz for yourself! The ultimate Dragon Ball quiz is ready for you! Referenced sites:
Here are the questions from the episode! The answers will be placed in bright text underneath so you can sorta read them, but won't inadvertently scan down and read them unless you're really trying to -- highlight all the text on the page for easy reading once you're done, and let us know how you did!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question from the fans to the pros (#1):
Who was the opponent in the fight where Goku launched a Kamehameha with his left hand on top and his right hand on the bottom?
A: Jackie Chun

Question from the pros to the fans (#1):
Name all the champions of the Tenka'ichi Budōkai given in the comics.
A: Jackie Chun, Tenshinhan, Son Goku, Mr. Satan, Videl, Trunks, King Chapa, Akkuman

Question from the fans to the pros (#2):
What is the special technique Goku showed off only in the anime, and only once?
A: Super Kaiō-ken (in the Ano-yo'ichi Budōkai arc)

Question from the pros to the fans (#2):
Give the contents of the eighth wish granted, and which planet it was granted on
A: Revive all those killed by Freeza and his men; on Earth

Question from the fans to the pros (#3):
What was the mistake [in the chapter] serialized in Jump [1993] #27?
A: Videl is mistakenly referred to as "Devil" [chapter 425; corrected for tankōbon release]
(In the recording, but I don't think the program itself, Takeda notes that Toriyama broke into a cold sweat; he apparently didn't even notice anything amiss in calling her by that name)

Question from the pros to the fans (#3):
What technique, belonging to whom, does this sound belong to?
A: Kuririn's Kienzan

Question from the fans to the pros (#4):
Name all the characters in the comics who called Kinto'un, and the number of times they called it.
A: Goku (25 times)
Kame-Sen'nin (1 time)
Karin-sama (1 time)

Question from the pros to the fans (#4):
In a cover illustration [of the tankōbon], there is a vehicle with a dragon holding a Dragon Ball drawn on it. What volume is it, and how many stars are on the Dragon Ball?
A: Vol. 19, One-Star Ball
(Hattori-kun drew out all the cover illustrations, starting from vol. 1, until he hit upon the right one)

Question from the fans to the pros (#5):
Give the name of Satan’s longest technique which secured his victory.
A: Satan Miracle Special Ultra Super Megaton Punch
(Iyoku left out one of the words, securing the fan-team's victory)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: Episode #0332 (28 April 2013)

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:58 am

Well, that was fun. And in parts impossible :D Here are my results!

From the fans to the pros:
1 Jackie Chun - Correct! I actually vaguely remembered noticing Goku's hands being swapped at one point the last time I read the manga, and took a wild guess between Tambourine, the Red Ribbon Army (maybe Goku was upside down hanging in mid-air) or Jackie Chun. I guessed right!
2 Super Kaiō-ken - Correct
3 I got this one flat-out wrong. After trying to decide what part of the series Issue 27 of 1993 might have been at, I thought maybe Toriyama had post-Cell Game Shenron state that he could grant 3 wishes when it was actually 2.
4 I didn't bother to guess how many times they called Kinto'un, but I listed Goku, Kame-Sen'nin, Karin and Gohan. I guess Gohan only rode it in the Buu arc but never actually called it 'on-panel'?
5 Incorrect, my wild guess was Super Special Ultra Miracle Satan Punch :lol:

From the pros to the fans:
1 Jackie Chun, Tenshinhan, Goku, Akkuman, Mr.Satan. So I forgot to include Videl, Trunks and King Chapa.
2 The wish was made on Earth, and it was to revive those killed by Freeza. I didn't say "Freeza and his men" though, so I didn't get it 100% right.
3 Kuririn's Kienzan - Correct
4 I could possibly have looked it up, but that'd be cheating so NOPE!

All in all I'm pretty satisfied :P

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Question from the fans to the pros (#1):
I didn't know

Question from the pros to the fans (#1):
I got the regular winners, but didn't know the children division counted. So I would have got the whole thing if I understood the question entirely

Question from the fans to the pros (#2):
Easy question for me

Question from the pros to the fans (#2):
Right

Question from the fans to the pros (#3):
I didn't know.

Question from the pros to the fans (#3):
Couldn't answer without hearing the technique

Question from the fans to the pros (#4):
No clue

Question from the pros to the fans (#4):
No Idea.

Question from the fans to the pros (#5):
Didn't know as the name is silly.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Did some massive clean-up on your post -- no need for folks to re-post all of the full questions and especially the answers.
dbzfan7 wrote:Couldn't answer without hearing the technique
I know for a fact I placed the sound effect at that point during the podcast episode, so this says to me that you did not listen :). Which is fine, I guess, except that you're missing out...
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:20 pm

I had absolutely no clue about the first question--to be honest, I didn't even know that there was a "right" way to do the Kamehameha. The only ones I got completely right were Goku's anime-only technique and the sound one. I'm still not sure when Videl won the Tenkaichi Budoukai... was there a children's division in the 24th or something and they mentioned it later?

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey! Didn't Son Gohan (Grandpa) win the Budokai twice?

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:20 pm

ThunderPX wrote:I had absolutely no clue about the first question--to be honest, I didn't even know that there was a "right" way to do the Kamehameha. The only ones I got completely right were Goku's anime-only technique and the sound one. I'm still not sure when Videl won the Tenkaichi Budoukai... was there a children's division in the 24th or something and they mentioned it later?
Correct.
Insertclevername wrote:Hey! Didn't Son Gohan (Grandpa) win the Budokai twice?
Same arc, different fighter. You're thinking of Akkuman.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
ThunderPX wrote:I'm still not sure when Videl won the Tenkaichi Budoukai... was there a children's division in the 24th or something and they mentioned it later?
Correct.
Specifically, before Videl fights Spopovitch, the announcer mentions how she won the youth division at the last tournament.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Where can I watch the ほこXたて episode?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Payne222 wrote:Where can I watch the ほこXたて episode?
Not really going to induce piracy, but everything is on the Internet. We won't help you find it, and as long as you don't ask us for help and don't tell us what you're doing in your spare time, I don't see any issues here.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 am

VegettoEX wrote:Did some massive clean-up on your post -- no need for folks to re-post all of the full questions and especially the answers.
dbzfan7 wrote:Couldn't answer without hearing the technique
I know for a fact I placed the sound effect at that point during the podcast episode, so this says to me that you did not listen :). Which is fine, I guess, except that you're missing out...
I usually listen depending on what the highlighted topics are. Usually I would tune in for BOG news. Though its been a while for me. I came because the front page mentioned questions. :D I wanted to see how cryptic or specific they would be.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:45 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Payne222 wrote:Where can I watch the ほこXたて episode?
Not really going to induce piracy, but everything is on the Internet. We won't help you find it, and as long as you don't ask us for help and don't tell us what you're doing in your spare time, I don't see any issues here.
Alright, saw it. I liked Julian's 1 second cameo.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed May 01, 2013 1:32 pm

That must be the most bizarre ending music you've ever used :lol:

I already read the thread about Hoko x Tate that listed the questions and answers back when the episode aired, but apparently I already forgot the answers, because I couldn't remember most of them while listening to the episode :P I'm curious about the unaired questions Julian mentioned, like the one where they had to give Bulma's age based on pictures from different times in the series. I think that's one I could have nailed.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri May 03, 2013 7:56 am

Just curious, has listenership for the podcast dropped at all? I couldn't help but notice that the number of responses in these threads has dropped considerably when compared with the first 200 or so episodes- which is a shame, because I think people (particularly members on this forum) are really missing out.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 03, 2013 8:07 am

It's a trend I see with pretty much all podcasts: interaction drops off over time even when listenership increases (which in this case, yes, it does continue to build more and more with our show).

I certainly don't interact with all the podcasts I still listen to all these years later, which I know is a shame and I really should...

Glad you're still enjoying the show and want to contribute, though! The best thing to do is spread the word on our behalf and continue to make that audience grow! :D

rooislang

Post by rooislang » Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 am

Q1: Got it Right (Total guess, but it felt right)

Q2: I didn't think the youth division counted so I left out Videl and Trunks (Embarrassingly I forgot King Chapa's name)

Q3: Got it Right

Q4: Total guess but got it right

Q5: No way of knowing

Q6: Got it right

Q7: Didn't even bother trying to guess how many times Goku called Kinto'un (got the other two right) and I thought Gohan also called Kinto'un, but I guess he just rode it.

Q8: Couldn't even guess

Q9: Guessed Satan Super Special Megaton Impact Punch