Episode #0142 (17 August 2008)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0142 (17 August 2008)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:02 pm

Episode #0142 (download MP3) (rss feed)
65:18; 64 kbps, mono; 29.9 MB

Episode #0142! VegettoEX, Meri, and Jeff discuss Volume 18 (DBZ Volume 2) of the manga. The Saiya-jin arc has hit its stride: Goku is on his way back, someone is already dead, and new attacks abound! Is Toriyama's magic still working, though? Tons of video game news, movie and book news, releases, and your e-mails round out the episode. We've got plenty of Otakon recaps to discuss, too! Referenced sites:
Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the kinda nice *one-hundred-forty-two* episodes, now.

Hi, everyone! This is a podcast episode! We had lots of good talks. And other assorted stuff that I usually say. In all seriousness, we had a really good time recording this episode (as we usually do), so please enjoy!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:26 pm

The first episode I've new downloaded on my new high-speed internet! I've spent the whole day waiting for this!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:50 pm

OK, I haven't listened to the episode yet... so this reply's gonna be slightly off-topic.. ish. (Am very much looking forward to the Manga Review and almost had a heart attack because I thought it was for volume 19...)

Anyway, I've got a question that pertains to the rest of the 8/17 update. EX, how do you want me to send you the photos I took at Otakon? o_O There are 240 or so of them, so I can send you an e-mail or just link you to my Photobucket.

(Wow, it's a good thing you can't really make out the stupid expression on my face in that photo on the main page. Andrew did a excellent job of capturing me in my natural state... XD)
The Resident Tenshinhan Fangirl.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:57 pm

That's a great question. I have no idea :P. Whatever works best for you. I can take e-mail, I can take FTP, I can take direct links, I can take a physical drop-off... whatevs!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:51 am

Loved the review guys. For some reason I had this awkward feeling before you actually reviewed it like you were going to trash the Z-Era for some reason. Despite the fact that I know how much Mike & Meri love stuff in the Z-Era, I still had that fear for some reason. I know there's some people who think the Z-Era is nothing compared to the earlier stuff (Not as many who believe the opposite though). But I highly disagree with that. Personally I prefer more action fighting as opposed to adventure fighting. But I'm glad to see Jeff especially is still loving it.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:11 am

I'm excited that I only need to wait til October until my favorite all time volume is reviewed. The first 4 Z volumes were the first parts of the manga I ever got, and my first intro to this part of the series. Since I got into DBZ during dub season 3, this was the only way to learn about all this stuff.

In the anime, I love the Cell stuff, but I think the Saiyan stuff is my favorite when reading the manga.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:54 am

Love the concert :shock:
I wish I still live in Philly...You guys are lucky!
Last edited by Forgotten Hero on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:32 am

Gregory isn't in the manga ? :shock:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:46 am

Son Wukong wrote:Gregory isn't in the manga ? :shock:
Nope. Toriyama did think him up and design him for the anime though.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:55 pm

Bah Gregory....

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:53 pm

So, I suppose they were not allowing any sort of recording devices at the Head-Cha-La performance, eh? A YT search hasn't gotten me anything.
She/Her
bisexual milf

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:04 pm

JulieYBM wrote:So, I suppose they were not allowing any sort of recording devices at the Head-Cha-La performance, eh? A YT search hasn't gotten me anything.
Nope. They would kick out anyone caught video recording. They were pretty heavily staffed down on the floor. Didn't stop a friend from getting about ten seconds on their phone, but that's about all that was possible.

Once in a lifetime experience, I tell ya :D.

Wish I had more time / opportunities to hang out with all the DB cosplayers. So awesome and impressive.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:32 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:So, I suppose they were not allowing any sort of recording devices at the Head-Cha-La performance, eh? A YT search hasn't gotten me anything.
Nope. They would kick out anyone caught video recording. They were pretty heavily staffed down on the floor. Didn't stop a friend from getting about ten seconds on their phone, but that's about all that was possible.

Wish I had more time / opportunities to hang out with all the DB cosplayers. So awesome and impressive.
Dang it all. :( I saw video of one of Kageyama's performances in Mexico City and boy was that crowd responsive...
She/Her
bisexual milf

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:

I'm sure that someone, somewhere was able to sneak a camera in and record all of Head Cha La.

Hopefully.

*waits for Youtube video to show up*

I wish Kageyama came to Anime North. There's no way I could get all the way to Otakon :(

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:29 am

He'll never come out to Comic-Con... :x

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:10 pm

Finally got around to listening to the episode. Here are some random thoughts:

Enma Daio originates from Indian mythology, not Chinese, though he's in there too.

I noticed that you corrected Meri when she said "power levels", but referred to Enma's palace as the "check-in station", the dub term for the place.

The idea that Daimao's underlings came out unlike normal Namekians because Daimao was all demonic and evil is basically what the daizenshuu say.

I'm kind of disappointed that you described Kuririn's attack on the Saibaiman as him "finally doing something". I think he's already had lots of good moments, like in his fight with Chaozu and Ma Junior.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:06 pm

I just noticed something...
I remember you guys talking about how Goku appeared in his actual organic form and how it feels like Raditz appeared as an physical being rather than cloud.

But in the Viz manga vol.2, page 17: Enma yells at Kami for thinking so loud, but there is this fox looking guy wearing a rope and halo. So what does that mean? These fox guy does look like a cloud, why?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:18 pm

Herms wrote:Enma Daio originates from Indian mythology, not Chinese, though he's in there too.
Such is true. I didn't want to get into a Buddhist description right in the middle of the chapter, though :). It was honestly something I meant to go back and elaborate on, but totally forgot.
Herms wrote:I noticed that you corrected Meri when she said "power levels", but referred to Enma's palace as the "check-in station", the dub term for the place.
Totally unconscious thing that I had no idea was something from the dub.
Herms wrote:The idea that Daimao's underlings came out unlike normal Namekians because Daimao was all demonic and evil is basically what the daizenshuu say.
Mike logic for the win!
Herms wrote:I'm kind of disappointed that you described Kuririn's attack on the Saibaiman as him "finally doing something". I think he's already had lots of good moments, like in his fight with Chaozu and Ma Junior.
I guess that was an unfortunate side-effect of Viz calling it the "Z" portion of the manga and inadvertently relegating myself to only talking about that part of the series (which... is only two volumes long, so far). In all honesty, though, it's the first time Kuririn's had a chance to do REALLY something outside of a one-on-one battle in a tournament. He didn't do jack during Red Ribbon, and was dead for the entire Piccolo-Daimao arc.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:But in the Viz manga vol.2, page 17: Enma yells at Kami for thinking so loud, but there is this fox looking guy wearing a rope and halo. So what does that mean? These fox guy does look like a cloud, why?
Maybe he's another one of the few allowed to keep his body. Everyone else is just a little spirit thing.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Oh, so you can keep your body if you were good in your life time. Seems pointless, unless you're really power fighter.