Kai Episode 18 (09 August 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Kai Episode 18 (09 August 2009)

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Not sure if we members can do this. Not allowed? By all means lock it.

General discussion for Dragonball Kai episode 18. Aired 09 August 2009.

ユンザビットに眠る宇宙船!ナメック星へいざ発進
Yunzabitto ni Nemuru Uchuusen! Namekkusei he Iza Hasshin
The Spaceship that Sleeps in Yunzabit! Blast Off For Planet Namek

Kaiser Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaiser Gogeta » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:08 pm

I came in half way through the episode, but there were new eyecatches. The first one featured Bulma (and maybe the ship, I forgot) in the upper left and Gohan and Kuririn in the lower right all in their landing on Namek gear. The second eyecatch features Vegeta in the lower left and Cui in the upper right. I couldn't see the animation for the opening or ending. Were they new?

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Kaiser Gogeta wrote:I came in half way through the episode, but there were new eyecatches. The first one featured Bulma (and maybe the ship, I forgot) in the upper left and Gohan and Kuririn in the lower right all in their landing on Namek gear. The second eyecatch features Vegeta in the lower left and Cui in the upper right. I couldn't see the animation for the opening or ending. Were they new?
Nope, the opening and the ending were the same, and the title card was the same from the las episode.

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonpiece » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Jurik wrote:
Kaiser Gogeta wrote:I came in half way through the episode, but there were new eyecatches. The first one featured Bulma (and maybe the ship, I forgot) in the upper left and Gohan and Kuririn in the lower right all in their landing on Namek gear. The second eyecatch features Vegeta in the lower left and Cui in the upper right. I couldn't see the animation for the opening or ending. Were they new?
Nope, the opening and the ending were the same, and the title card was the same from the las episode.

We probably will not be getting new openings and endings till October. But anything can happen can not wait for this episode

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:28 pm

This episode covered a total of 34 pages - the remaining 6 pages of chapter 243, and the entirity of chapters 244 and 245 (with the commercial break being right between the two latter). The manga was followed to the letter for the most part, with a couple minor panels being skipped (might've been missing in Z too, can't remember), and a couple short filler scenes being left in, most notably the one where Popo and Bulma climb a cliff at Yunzabit.

From what we see in the preview, the next episode will most likely end around the end of chapter 247, right after we see Freeza for the first time in the series.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:36 pm

Adamant wrote:This episode covered a total of 34 pages - the remaining 6 pages of chapter 243, and the entirity of chapters 244 and 245 (with the commercial break being right between the two latter). The manga was followed to the letter for the most part, with a couple minor panels being skipped (might've been missing in Z too, can't remember), and a couple short filler scenes being left in, most notably the one where Popo and Bulma climb a cliff at Yunzabit.

From what we see in the preview, the next episode will most likely end around the end of chapter 247, right after we see Freeza for the first time in the series.
That's very exciting. Thanks for the continuing Manga comparison coverage!!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:08 am

The next episode title is:

新たなる強敵!宇宙の帝王フリーザ
Arata Naru Kyouteki! Uchuu no Teiou Furiiza
A Formidable New Enemy! Emperor of the Universe, Freeza
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:58 am

Son of a crap :x

I missed it again, that's like the 7th time in a row.

Anyway, what filler scenes were left in? how were the re-animated scenes?

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:57 am

Rod wrote:Son of a crap :x

The most importent question here is what filler scenes were cut?!

I havn't seen the Namek arc episodes, but I know that it's infamous for the filler it had
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:15 am

The music really kind of ticked me off this episode. Gohan's cutesie theme (which I never liked, even in proper context) to open the episode; Party-Boy theme playing when Bulma accidentally destroys the space pod!? That's really as far as I've gotten, so I hope things pick up...

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:32 am

I liked the Dragon Soul instrumental near the end. It always lifts my spirits and I kinda needed it after all the hard work I've done this week.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:07 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
Rod wrote:Son of a crap :x

The most importent question here is what filler scenes were cut?!

I havn't seen the Namek arc episodes, but I know that it's infamous for the filler it had
DBZ ep 037 (the start of this episode of Kai lines up exactly with the start of DBZ episode 037) opens up with a ~20sec filler scene of a science team examining Nappa's space pod, which was cut. Then a ~1.5min filler scene of everyone in the hospital was cut. Some small in-between dialogue and Gyuomao's lines (all filler) was left in, and some was cut. Kame-sennin gawking over Bulma's new hair was partially cut. Bulma struggling to scale a cliff at Yunzabut was left in. A cut-scene back to everyone back at the hospital was cut. Bulma accidentally bringing up the toilet and bed while the ship was on its way to Jupiter was cut, as was some other random dialogue from that scene, which made its pace seem a lot more similar to the manga's. The first ~4.25min of DBZ episode 038 was pure filler, and that all was cut from Kai. ~2.5min of random filler stuff after Gohan's whole "I'm going to Namek too!!" thing was cut. Gohan having his many suitcases set down when he arrives on Kame-sennin's island is cut (whic makes it a little weird when they all end up neatly stacked on the ground in the next frame). Quite a bit of filler dialogue crap was cut. The still images of everyone on Earth looking up to the stars was cut, and the still images of Gohan and Kuririn enjoying their time on the ship were left in (both are filler).

That's about all. So, episode 018 of DBK corresponds with episodes 037 and 038 of DBZ.

The famous Freeza Arc filler that you have heard about SHINOBI-03, are the entire (shitty) filler episodes (which includes the world-famous "Bulma and the Crab" episode). These nearly entirely filler episodes include DBZ 039-044. So it looks like in DBK episode 019, we'll be in the late forties in DBZ. :D

Interestingly, a lot of flashbacks were left un-shaded. Hmm...

dragonballzgtfighter
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballzgtfighter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:36 am

Wow this is going at a good pace.

The famous this planet will blow up in 5 mins.
http://dragonballzgt.smfforfree3.com/index.php Join us! And take a step in making the fan's Dragonball Z game!

Our Trailer http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxuKNAJxOM

Characters that must appear in the ultimate DBZGT game http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=dragonballzgtfighter

Kamehamehax10

Post by Kamehamehax10 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:47 pm

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:52 pm

KULILIN!

I love it :lol:

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:18 pm

D'aaawww is it just me or does Kuririn look really adorable in that eye catcher? :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:43 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:D'aaawww is it just me or does Kuririn look really adorable in that eye catcher? :lol:
When does Kuririn not look adorable?
no-homo

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Rory wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:D'aaawww is it just me or does Kuririn look really adorable in that eye catcher? :lol:
When does Kuririn not look adorable?
no-homo
The first few chapters he appeared? :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:04 pm

How come Kiwi is on the eye cath? Seems weird there are other characters that could have taken his place

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Rod wrote:How come Kiwi is on the eye cath? Seems weird there are other characters that could have taken his place
Probably because these things are bound to change every few episodes.

I suspect we'll begin to see Freeza, Zarbon, and Dodoria in the next one and the Ginyû after that.

EDIT: 2222 posts, yeah!!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf