Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by simtek34 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:03 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Plus, AB Group hasn't done anything with Dragon Ball after so many years.
Well, unless you count getting the first episode of DBZA flagged
True Dat.

Now what if Ocean does Super????

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:43 pm

simtek34 wrote:Now what if Ocean does Super????
That's a theory that has been tossed around. Hopefully this time they'll be sure to actually get a TV deal before paying for an entire dub only to find out that nobody's interested.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:38 pm

(Dragon Ball Super spoilers ahead, although it's the Battle Of Gods arc)

I would love to hear Brian Drummond doing his rage scene from the Battle Of Gods arc in the episode where Beerus hits Bulma. Obviously, it wouldn't be quite as insane as he would have done things back in '96, but I imagine his wrath is still pretty impressive.

Although honestly, I wouldn't count on an Ocean dub of Super. It'd be nice, and I wouldn't totally discount it, but I don't think it's likely.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:54 pm

Robo4900 wrote:(Dragon Ball Super spoilers ahead, although it's the Battle Of Gods arc)

I would love to hear Brian Drummond doing his rage scene from the Battle Of Gods arc in the episode where Beerus hits Bulma. Obviously, it wouldn't be quite as insane as he would have done things back in '96, but I imagine his wrath is still pretty impressive.

Although honestly, I wouldn't count on an Ocean dub of Super. It'd be nice, and I wouldn't totally discount it, but I don't think it's likely.
I don't think the BoG arc qualifies as spoilers because the movie has been out for almost 4 years now.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:04 am

Robo4900 wrote: I would love to hear Brian Drummond doing his rage scene from the Battle Of Gods arc in the episode where Beerus hits Bulma.
This fandub is probably the closest thing you'll ever get.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:46 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:I don't think the BoG arc qualifies as spoilers because the movie has been out for almost 4 years now.
Yeah, thus why I said "Although it's the BoG arc." I think there are probably some people out there who haven't seen it and are holding off until we get the Super dub, but those people are probably few and far between. Still, there's basically no effort required to put a quick "BTW, this post contains spoilers for this thing" at the beginning of a post, so IMO it's worth doing since Super hasn't aired in English yet.
NitroEX wrote:This fandub is probably the closest thing you'll ever get.
That sounds more like his Blue Water voice IMO.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:58 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I don't think the BoG arc qualifies as spoilers because the movie has been out for almost 4 years now.
Yeah, thus why I said "Although it's the BoG arc." I think there are probably some people out there who haven't seen it and are holding off until we get the Super dub, but those people are probably few and far between. Still, there's basically no effort required to put a quick "BTW, this post contains spoilers for this thing" at the beginning of a post, so IMO it's worth doing since Super hasn't aired in English yet.
NitroEX wrote:This fandub is probably the closest thing you'll ever get.
That sounds more like his Blue Water voice IMO.
Which, if you arent into this stuff, was a literal non-union Ocean replacement voice-match, not too far off from this fandub itself. Blue Water has voice-matched Ocean Group VA's in several cheaper productions, like the English dub of Rockman.EXE 5 Double Soul for Nintendo DS.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:43 pm

Robo4900 wrote: That sounds more like his Blue Water voice IMO.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I personally don't think he sounds like Roger Rhodes. Keep in mind you're never going to find a truly perfect impersonation so it's good enough in my opinion and his screams are top notch. I doubt Sabat will be able to top that in the official dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:07 pm

Drummond is likely going to surpass the wrath scene in Kai.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:52 pm

NitroEX wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I personally don't think he sounds like Roger Rhodes. Keep in mind you're never going to find a truly perfect impersonation so it's good enough in my opinion and his screams are top notch. I doubt Sabat will be able to top that in the official dub.
Speaking of Sabat & Rhodes...both of these guys were basically replacements for Drummond. I don't know what the issue of a fandub (which is what Season 3 is) sounding like replacement VA's would be. Although I can probably get annoying yammering on this subject.

That being said, you seem to have a general "thing" going for the Ocean dub of DB, FWR. I mean I appreciate Cole, Brown (lol Cole Brown), & McNeil's work, as well as the Pioneer dubs...the Ocean dub, in itself?...is still mostly the same thing as the later infamous in-house dub...just with professional, veteran AAA VA's. It's comparable to Voltron, whereas the later dubs were more Robotech in their budget. From the perspective of Dragon Ball being (for the most part) Japanese-only...wouldnt we consider the Ocean dub, just as illegimiate as the later FUNi dubs?

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:04 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Speaking of Sabat & Rhodes...both of these guys were basically replacements for Drummond. I don't know what the issue of a fandub (which is what Season 3 is) sounding like replacement VA's would be. Although I can probably get annoying yammering on this subject.

That being said, you seem to have a general "thing" going for the Ocean dub of DB, FWR. I mean I appreciate Cole, Brown (lol Cole Brown), & McNeil's work, as well as the Pioneer dubs...the Ocean dub, in itself?...is still mostly the same thing as the later infamous in-house dub...just with professional, veteran AAA VA's. It's comparable to Voltron, whereas the later dubs were more Robotech in their budget. From the perspective of Dragon Ball being (for the most part) Japanese-only...wouldnt we consider the Ocean dub, just as illegimiate as the later FUNi dubs?
Yes of course, however the Ocean Cast had no say in the scripts, that was still all done by FUNi (and of course given the guidelines by Saban), the Ocean Group are very capable at producing great dubs as seen in Death Note, and hell even the Pioneer movies as you stated yourself. Which is of course why I am very adamant for Ocean Kai to be released as it would be under an accurate script.

Staying on your subject point though, a good deal of the enjoyment for the Ocean Dub of Z, is that the actors are phenomanal when they get the right direction, and in some cases it's undoubatly nostalgia, as for a lot of people THESE are the voices they grew with and the FUNi voices will always be a replacement (especially if you live in the UK in which the Funi Dub only aried for 54-107, or Canada in which it ended somewhere in the middle of the Cell Saga).
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:10 pm

thomas1up wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
NitroEX wrote: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes of course, however the Ocean Cast had no say in the scripts, that was still all done by FUNi (and of course given the guidelines by Saban), the Ocean Group are very capable at producing great dubs as seen in Death Note, and hell even the Pioneer movies as you stated yourself. Which is of course why I am very adamant for Ocean Kai to be released as it would be under an accurate script.

Staying on your subject point though, a good deal of the enjoyment for the Ocean Dub of Z, is that the actors are phenomanal when they get the right direction, and in some cases it's undoubatly nostalgia, as for a lot of people THESE are the voices they grew with and the FUNi voices will always be a replacement (especially if you live in the UK in which the Funi Dub only aried for 54-107, or Canada in which it ended somewhere in the middle of the Cell Saga).
The castings themselves were miscast, as they were cast to misrepresent the characters. They had no creator contact & no access to the original audio, which is like a basic sticking point of almost any dub. Even 4Kids did better than that. I can imagine that Toei didnt respect Fukunaga & his squad, compared to Saban who were a decent-size company. & Nintendo simply used 4Kids as a venue for their own produced Pokemon dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:40 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
thomas1up wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

The castings themselves were miscast, as they were cast to misrepresent the characters. They had no creator contact & no access to the original audio, which is like a basic sticking point of almost any dub. Even 4Kids did better than that. I can imagine that Toei didnt respect Fukunaga & his squad, compared to Saban who were a decent-size company. & Nintendo simply used 4Kids as a venue for their own produced Pokemon dub.
Yeah, I get your point. The voice actors were miscast to you because they didn't imitate the Japanese voices.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:04 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
thomas1up wrote:

Yeah, I get your point. The voice actors were miscast to you because they didn't imitate the Japanese voices.
It's not a matter of the literal "sound" of the VA's. It would be silly to say "eh, Jamieson Price is slightly less deep than Akio Otsuka, screw the Fate/0 & Berserk 2016 dub". I also respect cultural differences in casting, like getting a young-voiced man to play a female part. It's the matter of the reason they were cast, & the differences between them. I don't appreciate the way Toei entirely outsourced the localization of DB, as if they didnt care what others did, & just wanted the money. I dont blame FUNi for doing what they had to do.

I want to watch something knowing that the people who made the thing, chose the people who represent the characters. It's not an issue with 95% of Viz, Aniplex, Capcom, Square Enix, Bandai, Geneon, Sony, Nintendo (including the Pokemon dubs), the FUNi One Piece dub, Konami (eh...), hell even the 4Kids One Piece dub had decent castings, done by Toei themselves (a decent light in the incoherent mess that is the OP 4Kids dub).

DB is no exception just because everyone saw that cast growing up - my understanding of FUNi's business decisions aside. Also are you "razorlikeblue"?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:12 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:It's not a matter of the literal "sound" of the VA's. It would be silly to say "eh, Jamieson Price is slightly less deep than Akio Otsuka, screw the Fate/0 & Berserk 2016 dub". I also respect cultural differences in casting, like getting a young-voiced man to play a female part. It's the matter of the reason they were cast, & the differences between them. I don't appreciate the way Toei entirely outsourced the localization of DB, as if they didnt care what others did, & just wanted the money. I dont blame FUNi for doing what they had to do.

I want to watch something knowing that the people who made the thing, chose the people who represent the characters. It's not an issue with 95% of Viz, Aniplex, Capcom, Square Enix, Bandai, Geneon, Sony, Nintendo (including the Pokemon dubs), the FUNi One Piece dub, Konami (eh...), hell even the 4Kids One Piece dub had decent castings, done by Toei themselves (a decent light in the incoherent mess that is the OP 4Kids dub).

DB is no exception just because everyone saw that cast growing up - my understanding of FUNi's business decisions aside. Also are you "razorlikeblue"?
I have no idea who razorlikeblue is. And no offense, but you seem to contradict yourself a lot.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:16 pm

I tried to understand his stance soooo hard, but I dont get it and I dont think I ever will...but he said the Mexican dub is god tier so he's aces for me! :mrgreen: Aguante Ahmed!

...That means Hooray Ahmed!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I tried to understand his stance soooo hard, but I dont get it and I dont think I ever will...but he said the Mexican dub is god tier so he's aces for me! :mrgreen: Aguante Ahmed!

8000 Saiyan wrote:you seem to contradict yourself a lot.
psst, hint: Sometimes I'm being ironic to prove a point because maybe I'm mad about something? Would someone who truly didnt care..look up these things in the first place? Do Jinzoningen, gravitypriest, Hujio, Herms, Meri, Rach, Cipher, EX (obviously not trying to be rude here - these guys contribute tremendously to proper DB understanding in general, dubs aside) profess things like union/non-union rates, VA union status/living arrangements, or heck, bring up the fact that DB dub VA's are incredibly underpaid, etc., in the first place?

I guess I try to make a point, but the sarcasm is clearly not "subtly apparent", & I end up just annoying fellow dub fans. ugh. I am a terrible troll. :(

What do I "contradict myself" on? (Not that I disagree w/you)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:52 pm

I think your stance is faithfulness but with a cast different than Funimation has done in the past. Or so it seems.

I know you dont hate the Funimation cast members themselves because I saw you praise Sean Schemell as talented in other stuff while not necessarily as Goku.

Also, a tip: Sarcasm doesnt really translate into text. Not without some clue to point us in the right direction.

I dont mean that unkindly, your opinion and stance is all very interesting to me and I would love to understand you better. Because its so rare seeing someone actually divert from the norm.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:20 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I tried to understand his stance soooo hard, but I dont get it and I dont think I ever will...but he said the Mexican dub is god tier so he's aces for me! :mrgreen: Aguante Ahmed!

8000 Saiyan wrote:you seem to contradict yourself a lot.
psst, hint: Sometimes I'm being ironic to prove a point because maybe I'm mad about something? Would someone who truly didnt care..look up these things in the first place? Do Jinzoningen, gravitypriest, Hujio, Herms, Meri, Rach, Cipher, EX (obviously not trying to be rude here - these guys contribute tremendously to proper DB understanding in general, dubs aside) profess things like union/non-union rates, VA union status/living arrangements, or heck, bring up the fact that DB dub VA's are incredibly underpaid, etc., in the first place?

I guess I try to make a point, but the sarcasm is clearly not "subtly apparent", & I end up just annoying fellow dub fans. ugh. I am a terrible troll. :(

What do I "contradict myself" on? (Not that I disagree w/you)
Do you really think it's that important to know who is union and who's non-union? And even if the voice actors are underpaid, I'm sure they have a great life.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:42 pm

Tried to inform Richard Ian Cox about the dub apparently being cancelled on his tumblr, but also that I liked him in Inuyasha and Gundam 00. He ignored the mentioning of the dub, but was appreciative of the fact that I liked him in those dubs. I wonder why the voice actors weren't informed by the producers yet that it wasn't coming out.