"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:31 am

Scsigs wrote:They have gotten into the habit of rereleasing parts into bigger sets after the parts had been out for a while. DBZ Kai & One Piece have identical part/voyage & season/collection releases, pretty sure this trend STARTED with One Piece before they started the dub up again in 2012/2013, Fairy Tail gets collection releases, I own the complete Psycho-Pass season 1 set, & Attack On Titan season 1 got rereleased in full several months ago as well. Thing is, though, unless it's a 20-something to 60-something episode series, FUNimation doesn't do complete series sets, otherwise they would've for Yu Yu Hakusho, DBZ Kai pre-Final Chapters, Dragon Ball, DBZ, etc. They did 2-set compilation releases for DBZ when they still had the shitty orange bricks, but only at Walmart I think because that's the only place I saw them, then did a compilation of GT, which is the only complete series set that's over 26 episodes they've done except for the original Fullmetal Alchemist series, as far as I know.
I only own the complete Cowboy Bebop set they released because it was a rerelease. I wanna get Outlaw Star when they finally get around to it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they rereleased Space Dandy in a complete series set down the road.

Here's the thing I've been wanting to bring up since this was confirmed to be airing. DBZ Kai: TFC has 69 episodes in all internationally. This first set is going to have 22 episodes. Doing the math, that's 47 left. If they do 22 more, that's 25 for the last set, depending on if they leave off on another cliffhanger, which is easy to do in a longrunning anime arc & that's what they're doing with the first set, it's part of the marketing. So, we're looking at 22-23 for the next one & the rest on the last. By the way, Part 1's coming April 25, WAY before they get to it on Toonami. Super might come in May, or June, & Part 2 might come in July, or August, if they're going on a 3/4 month basis for this, since Part 1's set is coming over 4 months after the Toonami reveal, though the season sets were weird in their release dates for the first 3/4 of Kai, so...who knows. I imagine they'll release 12-13 episode sets for Super, or possibly 14 when it gets to Resurrection F, then maybe season sets since it's a relatively new series & TFC is, well, not if you think about it, since it's a continuation of Kai.
I think they'll definitely do official parts and seasons for Super since it's a new thing, but I'm not entirely sure about Kai. If we're getting four Kai TFC releases, then I agree with you about getting two season sets later on as well - which is good news for someone like me who wants to make sure they get the part releases FIRST this time around. I mean, the original Kai parts are rare now due to the whole Kenji thing.

EDIT: My bad, Sangofe. You could never tell if people are trying to be assholes on these threads or not. But no, I assume it's from the French version - But I wasn't aware there's a fan cut out there. So, I could be wrong about my findings because it was from a weird website. But it seemed somewhat accurate at the time (because I made this discovery last year and posted it to the International Cut episode count thread). DAMN, I'M MAKING IT SOUND LIKE I DISCOVERED A NEW SPECIES.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:50 am

sangofe wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
It's a fancut of the Boo saga?
Okay, I think you know what you're doing now. On a thread called "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Funimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread" - You're acting oblivious to the whole thing.
No, I wasn't "acting oblivious". You listed heaps of episodes that you said you translated... From what? Japanese? French subs? A french fan cut? I know there's been talks about a french fan cut so it's not so weird to ask the question. And you say I'm acting oblivious? I honestly think that's a bit rude. But I understand now that you were using an abbrivation (I seriously didn't before I re read it 3-4 times).
I feel like I'm walking into a troll because anyone even remotely paying attention to this thread can't POSSIBLY be this stupid/misinformed, but what the hell, I'll drink the Kool Aid, so there's no more stupidity, or people have absolutely NO excuse for it.

No, NOT a fan cut. It's how Toei originally cut the arc from how they did it in Z. It was cut down even further in Japan so they could get the series done quicker & they didn't cut as much filler out as the company they got the first time around did. Not that this arc has a lot of filler, it's just long as shit. Most of the filler that was left in, minus some episodes towards the end, was at the beginning with the Saiyaman stuff. THAT is the majority of what was cut out of the Japanese broadcast, a total of 8 episodes.
The International version IS, technically, the official version of the Arc for Kai. We're getting the same exact cut as France, no other. France got it first, so that's where the episode names & numbers came from that that guy referenced. We're getting it so late for reasons unknown, though it's most likely because Toei's instilling a harsh "you need a TV deal" rule on FUNi releasing the series & Kai wasn't going to be done airing until the end of last December, hence they took what looks like a bit of a lax approach to the dubbing, as Sean Schemmel was the last person in the dub to record his lines, early last year, while everyone else recorded roughly when the last 2 movies' dubs were recorded. I'm saying this because from what I just read in the Super dub forum, someone said he was just recording the majority of the Goku/Beerus fight now for Super, as he's probably the last person to record for the most part probably because of scheduling since he lives in California & probably flies to Texas for a week or 2 at a time to record the majority of what they have for him a few hours a day to not strain his voice. Might also explain why that dub's feeling slightly rushed for some of the actors. Sean's not having that problem, but it's there for some of the other cast.
So, yeah.

Also, can't believe you never picked up on this because a kid would've, but "TFC" MEANS "The Final Chapters." It's an abbreviation. Jeez.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:53 am

Scsigs wrote:
sangofe wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:
Okay, I think you know what you're doing now. On a thread called "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Funimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread" - You're acting oblivious to the whole thing.
No, I wasn't "acting oblivious". You listed heaps of episodes that you said you translated... From what? Japanese? French subs? A french fan cut? I know there's been talks about a french fan cut so it's not so weird to ask the question. And you say I'm acting oblivious? I honestly think that's a bit rude. But I understand now that you were using an abbrivation (I seriously didn't before I re read it 3-4 times).
I feel like I'm walking into a troll because anyone even remotely paying attention to this thread can't POSSIBLY be this stupid/misinformed,

Also, can't believe you never picked up on this because a kid would've, but "TFC" MEANS "The Final Chapters." It's an abbreviation. Jeez.
Be cautious with personal attacks, mister. And read my above reply. There were reasons I believed the other guy were talking about a fan cut.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:58 am

sangofe wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
sangofe wrote:
I feel like I'm walking into a troll because anyone even remotely paying attention to this thread can't POSSIBLY be this stupid/misinformed,

Be cautious with personal attacks, mister. And read my above reply. There were reasons I believed the other guy were talking about a fan cut.
It was just a quick aside, man. Calm down, you're not anymore important than the rest of us. Also, if you're offended by that total nonattack, you clearly haven't been to a lot of places on the internet.
Also, I wrote that part of my replay before I saw that guy's reply, so EXCUSE me, princess.
Last edited by Scsigs on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:00 am

Scsigs wrote:This first set is going to have 22 episodes.
99-121 is 23 so that'll leave 23 for the next set and the one after that.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:02 am

sintzu wrote:
Just did the math on my computer's digital calculator, it's 22. If it started at 100, then it'd be 21. Add 1 more & its 22...unless I'm mistaken.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:16 am

mecha3000 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:They have gotten into the habit of rereleasing parts into bigger sets after the parts had been out for a while. DBZ Kai & One Piece have identical part/voyage & season/collection releases, pretty sure this trend STARTED with One Piece before they started the dub up again in 2012/2013, Fairy Tail gets collection releases, I own the complete Psycho-Pass season 1 set, & Attack On Titan season 1 got rereleased in full several months ago as well. Thing is, though, unless it's a 20-something to 60-something episode series, FUNimation doesn't do complete series sets, otherwise they would've for Yu Yu Hakusho, DBZ Kai pre-Final Chapters, Dragon Ball, DBZ, etc. They did 2-set compilation releases for DBZ when they still had the shitty orange bricks, but only at Walmart I think because that's the only place I saw them, then did a compilation of GT, which is the only complete series set that's over 26 episodes they've done except for the original Fullmetal Alchemist series, as far as I know.
I only own the complete Cowboy Bebop set they released because it was a rerelease. I wanna get Outlaw Star when they finally get around to it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they rereleased Space Dandy in a complete series set down the road.

Here's the thing I've been wanting to bring up since this was confirmed to be airing. DBZ Kai: TFC has 69 episodes in all internationally. This first set is going to have 22 episodes. Doing the math, that's 47 left. If they do 22 more, that's 25 for the last set, depending on if they leave off on another cliffhanger, which is easy to do in a longrunning anime arc & that's what they're doing with the first set, it's part of the marketing. So, we're looking at 22-23 for the next one & the rest on the last. By the way, Part 1's coming April 25, WAY before they get to it on Toonami. Super might come in May, or June, & Part 2 might come in July, or August, if they're going on a 3/4 month basis for this, since Part 1's set is coming over 4 months after the Toonami reveal, though the season sets were weird in their release dates for the first 3/4 of Kai, so...who knows. I imagine they'll release 12-13 episode sets for Super, or possibly 14 when it gets to Resurrection F, then maybe season sets since it's a relatively new series & TFC is, well, not if you think about it, since it's a continuation of Kai.
I think they'll definitely do official parts and seasons for Super since it's a new thing, but I'm not entirely sure about Kai. If we're getting four Kai TFC releases, then I agree with you about getting two season sets later on as well - which is good news for someone like me who wants to make sure they get the part releases FIRST this time around. I mean, the original Kai parts are rare now due to the whole Kenji thing.

EDIT: My bad, Sangofe. You could never tell if people are trying to be assholes on these threads or not. But no, I assume it's from the French version - But I wasn't aware there's a fan cut out there. So, I could be wrong about my findings because it was from a weird website. But it seemed somewhat accurate at the time (because I made this discovery last year and posted it to the International Cut episode count thread). DAMN, I'M MAKING IT SOUND LIKE I DISCOVERED A NEW SPECIES.
No, they're gonna do 3 & only 3. If the part sets are replacing the season sets for Kai, since it makes no sense to call them "seasons" when it's only 1/3 of the arc, it's going to be 3. I have a feeling the "season" moniker was a holdover from the Z orange brick sets & Blu-Rays, the DB blue bricks, & the GT green bricks, yet they haven't done "seasons" for any other series unless it's a seasonal anime like Attack on Titan season 1. Everything else, it's parts, or collections, which makes a HELL of a lot more sense for shows like One Piece & Fairy Tail, where they're longrunners. Having them be parts makes a lot more sense than seasons.

As for Super, I'm fully confident until we see the official announcement that it'll be 13-14 episode parts, then collections. TFC is a different case, since it's a late arrival & they won't lose money doing 22-25 episode sets for it right out of the gate rather than 11-12, then the larger ones. TFC was being put together SPECIFICALLY for the international market, remember, so either Toei probably didn't charge a big price for it as they probably did for Super, or at least not as much, or the contract for the first 3/4 of the series extended to it under some kind of clause. Which ever is the case, they certainly aren't going to lose money on TFC, since they now have Super & that's where the money's going to come from for the foreseeable future for them Dragon Ball-related.

Also, didn't add this originally, but Toei makes a lot of strange licensing deals with companies for their stuff either getting dubbed, or adapted. Saban, for example, wasn't allowed to skip adapting Tensou Sentai Goseiger into Power Rangers Megaforce, so they simply adapted Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, a great Sentai series, into what turned into the god awful Super Megaforce. Then, they let them skip adapting Go-Busters, which did poorly on the toys as well as not being well-recieved as a show, for the more popular Kyroyuger, which got turned into Dino Charge, & they did it again with ToQGer for Ninninger, which is going to be Ninja Steel, so I totally buy Toei needing them having a TV contract to license & air future Dragon Ball series in the future.
They might also be especially cautious now since them they gave the license of One Piece to 4Kids, a decision I'm sure still baffles us all, over a decade ago & that turning out absolutely terrible since 4Kids was really bad at dubbing most anime, so I see their caution, but DB is already a proven marketable franchise, so who knows...

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:45 am

Scsigs wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Just did the math on my computer's digital calculator, it's 22. If it started at 100, then it'd be 21. Add 1 more & its 22...unless I'm mistaken.
He's right, it's actually 23. The calculator method doesn't work because it only calculates the difference between 99 and 121.

Think about it like this. If we were counting episodes 99-105, that's 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, & 105, which is 7 episodes. But simply doing 105 minus 99 gives us 6 episodes. So if we apply that to episodes 99-121, a simple subtraction would give us 22, but the actual episode count is 23. Try counting it by hand if you don't believe me.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:47 am

thaman91 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
sintzu wrote:
He's right, it's actually 23. The calculator method doesn't work because it only calculates the difference between 99 and 121.

Think about it like this. If we were counting episodes 99-105, that's 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, & 105, which is 7 episodes. But simply doing 105 minus 99 gives us 6 episodes. So if we apply that to episodes 99-121, a simple subtraction would give us 22, but the actual episode count is 23. Try counting it by hand if you don't believe me.
Yeah, I see. I forgot it's usually the difference plus 1 for episodes in a home release. My math still works though. 3 sets of 23 episodes each. That's how they're doing TFC.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:12 am

Scsigs wrote:
thaman91 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

Yeah, I see. I forgot it's usually the difference plus 1 for episodes in a home release. My math still works though. 3 sets of 23 episodes each. That's how they're doing TFC.
Yup three sets of 23, hopefully the last will be listed by October.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:13 am

And... The link is still dead after the funimation.com maintenance.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:40 am

Scsigs wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

It was just a quick aside, man. Calm down, you're not anymore important than the rest of us. Also, if you're offended by that total nonattack, you clearly haven't been to a lot of places on the internet.
Also, I wrote that part of my replay before I saw that guy's reply, so EXCUSE me, princess.
Your responses are not in line with what we ask of you prior to registration. Please take a minute to review the community guidelines. Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Uh, guys - If Episode 112 of the international cut is going to feature a commentary track - Then that means the Funimation cast will be discussing "Videl in trouble! Anger Gohan (from what I was able to translate using Google)". This commentary track should be interesting......... (especially considering Kara Edwards may also be there to share her thoughts on Videl as a character)

EDIT: I kind of hope that after Videl's match with Spopovich, Gohan's dialogue would be changed from "I'm going to be the one to fight you, Spopovich" to something more satisfying like "You're going to get what's coming to you, Spopovich. I don't know how or when. But you will". Before the purists attack, I just feel like this line would have more of a payoff if you're aware of what actually ends up happening to Spopovich.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:22 pm

simtek34 wrote:And... The link is still dead after the funimation.com maintenance.
None of their April releases are back up yet.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Your responses are not in line with what we ask of you prior to registration. Please take a minute to review the community guidelines. Thank you!
Did he really report me to you guys? I didn't mean anything by it, sorry. I may have been a little mean with what I said, but I was being sarcastic. Trust me, I don't want to get banned from anything. People are seriously too sensitive these days even to something that shouldn't matter.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Link is back:
https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-vi ... blr-00137/
Artwork updated will include a DHD copy aswell:
This kicks ass!

Wonder what the "special feature" is.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Scsigs wrote:
This kicks ass!

There's a drop down menu from it, kind if hard to see but these are the features :
Episode 112 Video Commentary
Textless Opening Song ''Fight it out!!''
Textless Closing Song ''Never give up!!!''
Trailers

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:12 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
This kicks ass!

There's a drop down menu from it, kind if hard to see but these are the features :
Episode 112 Video Commentary
Textless Opening Song ''Fight it out!!''
Textless Closing Song ''Never give up!!!''
Trailers
Ah, I see.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:11 pm

mecha3000 wrote:Uh, guys - If Episode 112 of the international cut is going to feature a commentary track - Then that means the Funimation cast will be discussing "Videl in trouble! Anger Gohan (from what I was able to translate using Google)". This commentary track should be interesting......... (especially considering Kara Edwards may also be there to share her thoughts on Videl as a character)

EDIT: I kind of hope that after Videl's match with Spopovich, Gohan's dialogue would be changed from "I'm going to be the one to fight you, Spopovich" to something more satisfying like "You're going to get what's coming to you, Spopovich. I don't know how or when. But you will". Before the purists attack, I just feel like this line would have more of a payoff if you're aware of what actually ends up happening to Spopovich.
Oh man, i've always wanted hear a commentary track for a Dragon Ball episode with the dub actors