"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:17 am

Yeah, but DNA (I think) doesnt work that way. The DNA would be quartered. Like first is one half, then one quarter and then so on.

EDIT:CURSES! Ninja'd
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by simtek34 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:08 am

Yay! I got to hear Colleen Clinkenbeard voice Kid Goku! It fits the youthful, well-spirited energetic boy he is. I love her voice!

No offense to Stephane Nadolny, Colleen is the perfect Kid Goku/Gohan!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:31 am

simtek34 wrote:Yay! I got to hear Colleen Clinkenbeard voice Kid Goku! It fits the youthful, well-spirited energetic boy he is. I love her voice!

Agreed bro. She def nails the childlike qualities and makes him sound cool IMO. Great fit.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:25 am

simtek34 wrote:Yay! I got to hear Colleen Clinkenbeard voice Kid Goku! It fits the youthful, well-spirited energetic boy he is. I love her voice!

I quite like her as well. Check out the re-dub of Curse of the Blood Rubies if you want to hear even more of her as Goku.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:41 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:

I quite like her as well. Check out the re-dub of Curse of the Blood Rubies if you want to hear even more of her as Goku.
I've seen it. That was my firs exposure to the OG DB. (Not counting Kai Flashbacks)

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:00 pm

The previous flashbacks in Kai and even Curse of the Blood Rubies never really convinced me that Colleen could play a good Goku, but for some reason this latest flashback won me over.

A lot of people criticize her Gohan and say it sounds too much like Luffy, but I realized her Luffy voice would fit well for young Goku. Too bad that's a redub we may never see.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:A lot of people criticize her Gohan and say it sounds too much like Luffy, but I realized her Luffy voice would fit well for young Goku. Too bad that's a redub we may never see.
I'm sorry, but she doesn't work at all as kid Goku. It's just not fitting for him.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Scsigs wrote: I'm sorry, but she doesn't work at all as kid Goku. It's just not fitting for him.
I just can't go with this. I just find Colleen's Goku really cool. Her and Saffron Henderson have the best kid voices in DBZ IMO.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I'm sorry, but she doesn't work at all as kid Goku. It's just not fitting for him.
I just can't go with this. I just find Colleen's Goku really cool. Her and Saffron Henderson have the best kid voices in DBZ IMO.
The voice is just not fitting with him, sorry.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Scsigs wrote: The voice is just not fitting with him, sorry.
You've stated this and I disagree. Could you explain why you think it isn't fitting. It'd help the conversation move along.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: The voice is just not fitting with him, sorry.
You've stated this and I disagree. Could you explain why you think it isn't fitting. It'd help the conversation move along.
Mostly for what's already been said, he's being voiced by the woman who voices Luffy & she doesn't do anything at all to distinguish them other than making it slightly higher-pitched, but even then, she's voiced Luffy as a kid the exact same way. That & I like Nadolny's voice much better. I have no idea why she's not doing dubs for them anymore, but I feel a voice more close to hers would be better. I'd even tale Alexis Tipton's Trunks voice over Clinkenbeard's Luffy for Goku.
Better yet, though I know they couldn't get her because she lives out in California & doesn't do a lot of anime dubbing, someone akin to Tara Strong. She has a great voice for young boys, though that might not gel well with the purists.
I can only enjoy her Luffy voice when she's Luffy. That's just how I feel.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm personally in the camp with keeping kid Goku as Stephanie. With a tad bit of improved acting and directing which she would get nowadays she would still sound wonderful for his character. I do however love Colleen for kid Gohan. It fits his more subdued and gentle personality.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:56 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:I'm personally in the camp with keeping kid Goku as Stephanie. With a tad bit of improved acting and directing which she would get nowadays she would still sound wonderful for his character.
My thoughts exactly.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:09 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:I'm personally in the camp with keeping kid Goku as Stephanie. With a tad bit of improved acting and directing which she would get nowadays she would still sound wonderful for his character. I do however love Colleen for kid Gohan. It fits his more subdued and gentle personality.
Yeah. I'm also of the mind that she's not even the perfect choice to play Luffy in English. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that she does, but her voice can get very grating after a while. Hell, I'd love to hear Nodolny as Luffy if they even considered her, but that ship has sailed, no pun intended. It's also telling when they wanted Eric Vale to play Luffy before being forced to pick a female VA.
Goku's the progenitor of Luffy & many other idiot heroes in Shonen manga & anime because of Dragon Ball's popularity, so my feelings are much the same. If they ever did a Kai reversioning of the initial DB series, I'd absolutely hate Colleen as Kid Goku, no doubt about it. I could suffer through it due to the better translations & scripts, but she'd be the worst part of the dub for me. I don't know what it is exactly. Maybe it's the tone not fitting them, maybe it's because I prefer Nodolny, but I just don't like it.
A lot of people absolutely hate her as Luffy & it's not hard to see why. I don't hate her as Luffy, but the voice can get incredibly grating after a while.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Scsigs wrote:
ShaneisMC wrote:I'm personally in the camp with keeping kid Goku as Stephanie. With a tad bit of improved acting and directing which she would get nowadays she would still sound wonderful for his character. I do however love Colleen for kid Gohan. It fits his more subdued and gentle personality.
Yeah. I'm also of the mind that she's not even the perfect choice to play Luffy in English. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that she does, but her voice can get very grating after a while. Hell, I'd love to hear Nodolny as Luffy if they even considered her, but that ship has sailed, no pun intended. It's also telling when they wanted Eric Vale to play Luffy before being forced to pick a female VA.
Goku's the progenitor of Luffy & many other idiot heroes in Shonen manga & anime because of Dragon Ball's popularity, so my feelings are much the same. If they ever did a Kai reversioning of the initial DB series, I'd absolutely hate Colleen as Kid Goku, no doubt about it. I could suffer through it due to the better translations & scripts, but she'd be the worst part of the dub for me. I don't know what it is exactly. Maybe it's the tone not fitting them, maybe it's because I prefer Nodolny, but I just don't like it.
A lot of people absolutely hate her as Luffy & it's not hard to see why. I don't hate her as Luffy, but the voice can get incredibly grating after a while.
Totally agree here. A Kai dub of DB would be great but it would be hard to sit through with basically Luffy as Goku's voice.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Totally agree here. A Kai dub of DB would be great but it would be hard to sit through with basically Luffy as Goku's voice.
I mean, I'd rather sit through Sean Schemmel attempting to sound 12, even though I don't think he can. I hated that they did that with Yuri Lowenthal in Naruto, so it's not like that's going to be any better.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Totally agree here. A Kai dub of DB would be great but it would be hard to sit through with basically Luffy as Goku's voice.
I mean, I'd rather sit through Sean Schemmel attempting to sound 12, even though I don't think he can. I hated that they did that with Yuri Lowenthal in Naruto, so it's not like that's going to be any better.
Schemmel did a great job at Goku sounding 18, but yeah. Even as a big fan of the dub, seeing Schemmel's voice out of Kid Goku would just be weird.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Scsigs wrote:I hated that they did that with Yuri Lowenthal in Naruto, so it's not like that's going to be any better.
Sorry for going off-topic for a moment, but it is a bit of a trade-off with Sasuke. Either, you have a higher voice with (from what I recall) relatively poor acting, or the not-so-12-year-old voice with amazing acting. The former portion of the latter option never really bothered me, though, so (to connect that to this) it'd turn out all right if Mr. Schemmel had the range to do a young Gokū.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Schemmel did a great job at Goku sounding 18, but yeah. Even as a big fan of the dub, seeing Schemmel's voice out of Kid Goku would just be weird.
Well, that's because at 18, Goku was already fully grown. All that's changed in the years since is Goku becoming stronger. By 18, your voice is fully broken anyways. I, personally, have had the voice tone I have ever since I was 15, possibly earlier, so it's not like that's a surprise.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Well, that's because at 18, Goku was already fully grown. All that's changed in the years since is Goku becoming stronger. By 18, your voice is fully broken anyways. I, personally, have had the voice tone I have ever since I was 15, possibly earlier, so it's not like that's a surprise.
Oh I know. My voice got deep at 12-13. I was just making the point.